Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 19 Jun 2005, 18:07 (Ref:1333102)   #1
Steevp
Racer

England
Cambridge
Steevp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Coulthards stock rises in my eyes..

That last minute plea on the team radio to let him race, and to take all the responsibility on himself said it all, he's a racer.

Plus pre race he was the only driver actually talking, nice one DC, and thanks for thinking about us... no one else seemed to give a damn.
Old 19 Jun 2005, 18:17 (Ref:1333139)   #2
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
yeah at 25K per point- 3rd place equals 150K a real hero
Old 19 Jun 2005, 18:19 (Ref:1333146)   #3
Formula1Fanatic
Rookie

England
Warrington
Formula1Fanatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought he was great too.

Shame he didn't have the guts though to race. Then he would have been a real hero
Old 19 Jun 2005, 18:20 (Ref:1333150)   #4
GolddustMini
Veteran

GolddustMini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yeh i think for about the first time ever ive got some respect for coulthard

no respect for f1 though, well done
Old 19 Jun 2005, 18:20 (Ref:1333152)   #5
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think you'll find if he had raced, when he came to pit he would have been given no fuel from his team.
Old 19 Jun 2005, 18:21 (Ref:1333158)   #6
GolddustMini
Veteran

GolddustMini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
I think you'll find if he had raced, when he came to pit he would have been given no fuel from his team.
surely his own team could have black flagged him, inform the race control he had a dangerous fault and he needs to be brought in
Old 19 Jun 2005, 18:21 (Ref:1333159)   #7
Steevp
Racer

England
Cambridge
150k to DC is like £25 for me, inconsequential, (Make it £30 and I back down!) he's there to drive and that's what he wanted to do.. more power to him.

We saw Button go all corporate (again) Mrs Bernie run like a scared rabbit, Bernie doing fairground huckster double speak, and DC wanting to go racing, if RBR dump him next year they're nuts.
Old 19 Jun 2005, 18:29 (Ref:1333195)   #8
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formula1Fanatic
I thought he was great too.

Shame he didn't have the guts though to race. Then he would have been a real hero
He did want to race?
Old 19 Jun 2005, 18:38 (Ref:1333220)   #9
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formula1Fanatic
An unemployed hero without insurance during the race. Not good if his tyre erupted and he went into the crowd.
Old 19 Jun 2005, 18:46 (Ref:1333236)   #10
Irv the Swerve
Veteran

Irv the Swerve should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fair play DC
Old 19 Jun 2005, 18:56 (Ref:1333265)   #11
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
He said "if it's my choice, I'll race."

It wasn't his choice.
Old 19 Jun 2005, 18:59 (Ref:1333278)   #12
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I am sure deep down a lot of the Michelin drivers would want to race. I would say if I was in his position I would want to as well.

Of course, he has to remember who his bosses are and the consequences of running against the advice of Michelin.
Old 19 Jun 2005, 18:59 (Ref:1333280)   #13
Steevp
Racer

England
Cambridge
It wasn't his choice, but he was prepared for the buck to stop with him, had the team said "Ok, we leave it up to you" then he would have been the one in court after a tyre burst and landed in the crowd (Can't remember the last time this happened) he was doing doing something positive, probably the only thing he could have done, a small gesture for sure, but I'm grateful he made it.
Old 19 Jun 2005, 19:02 (Ref:1333286)   #14
johnw
Veteran

England
Chichester - 1/2 mile from Goodwood
johnw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl
yeah at 25K per point- 3rd place equals 150K a real hero
Pathetic.
Old 19 Jun 2005, 19:23 (Ref:1333338)   #15
Fantasy GP610
Racer

Fantasy GP610 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In my opinion his radio message was a gut reaction from a born racer........he was making it crystal clear that if he was given the choice and he had have raced then that was HIS decision and his alone.

For anyone to bring the question of money per point into it is just shameful.

On a day which has been very sad for F1 he should be given a lot of credit today for telling it like it is in the ITV interviews (both pre and post "race").
Old 19 Jun 2005, 19:54 (Ref:1333386)   #16
Fireblade
Racer

Fireblade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One thing we can never accuse DC of is lack of backbone.
Good on you mate.

In The United States of Litigation no other decision could have been taken in light of the Michelin statement. The fallout should anything have happened to a Michelin shod car would traverse the US courts for years with monster money sums being mentioned.
Old 19 Jun 2005, 20:06 (Ref:1333409)   #17
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
He said "if it's my choice, I'll race."

It wasn't his choice.
Correct KB.
Old 19 Jun 2005, 20:13 (Ref:1333422)   #18
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Had it been up to the drivers, they all would have raced I suspect.
Old 19 Jun 2005, 20:14 (Ref:1333428)   #19
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yep, totally agree Wrex.
Old 19 Jun 2005, 20:38 (Ref:1333470)   #20
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
David's acted in a very responsible and mature way - showing that racer's instinct and acted as a good spokesman for the situation, generally doing his best to smooth things over throughout. Racing would ultimately have been far too big a risk from a legal perspective.
Old 19 Jun 2005, 20:53 (Ref:1333503)   #21
johnw
Veteran

England
Chichester - 1/2 mile from Goodwood
johnw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
George Galloway and DC - good on you Scotland!
Old 19 Jun 2005, 21:15 (Ref:1333554)   #22
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Yeah my thoughts precisely, Im not really a DC fan, but that was a good attitude, well played DC.
Old 19 Jun 2005, 21:50 (Ref:1333634)   #23
HrRACING
Veteran

United Kingdom
Shropshire / Mid Wales
HrRACING should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He has become a new man this year!!!

I hope he has another season or so left in him, and i've never really been his fan!

He was trying to do his bit to help ITV out with the situation too which was great!!
Old 19 Jun 2005, 22:21 (Ref:1333694)   #24
Jam35
Rookie

Wales
Caerdydd
Jam35 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
But it would have put him in a better place in the qualifying order for France
Old 19 Jun 2005, 22:54 (Ref:1333734)   #25
Alwaysfirst
Veteran

United Kingdom
The rural idyl.
Alwaysfirst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DC has been gaining my respect all year through his new lease of life and enthusiasm. Today through this one small gesture he earned it by being one of the few drivers to publically say this. Good one DC.