Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 20 Dec 2005, 23:10 (Ref:1487700)   #1
BuzzedHornet
Rookie

BuzzedHornet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
MotorSport Photo Classes?

I have been following racing for many years. While i was still in school, many years ago, I thought motorsports photography would be a good career choice for me. To make a long story a little longer, I just bought a Nikon D50 and i want to get back into shooting racing.

I am taking a Digital Nikon School next month. My question is, does anyone here know of any weekend long motorsport photography schools? I am willing to travel; I would assume the school would include a great race wherever it is! Is there anything out there?

Thanks,
Rob
Old 21 Dec 2005, 04:29 (Ref:1487797)   #2
vs346
Racer

Greenland
vs346 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To bad you can't travel to the U.S. I'd be happy to teach you, for a fee of course

I've never heard of photo school especially designed for motorsports photography. At least in the States. Somehow I also think it's unlikely the UK has anything, since it's such a specific branch of photo.

Many shooters (snappers, as you call them) on this forum have learned by simple trial and error (much easier to do now with digital) and they've gotten quite good.

For something a bit more structured, I think any good photo school/class will give you good basics that can only help in your general understanding and knowledge of photography in general.

A slightly more related branch would be general sports photography. I'm sure there are a few sports photo courses and/or workshops in the UK where you can get some hands on experience with all kinds of sports. These will get you even closer to the kind of conditions you encounter in motorsports.

So depending on your level, I'd start with general classes for the basics, and then move on to a more specific course such as sports where you'll be able to combine all that you have learned to cars.
Old 21 Dec 2005, 05:20 (Ref:1487807)   #3
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Pay me and I'll happily spend a weekend with you showing you the ropes
Old 21 Dec 2005, 08:39 (Ref:1487837)   #4
500mm
Rookie

500mm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Education, Education, Education

Rob

it must be the time of year as there was some debate on this subject back last December.

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59090

There are probably others in the files.

Just to add a few thoughts.

A few years back there was a set of courses run at Daytona Beach Community College on motorsport photography.........they were set at the time of the Rolex 24 Hours..late January, early February.

All the basic areas such as composition, technique, health and safety, etiquette and business aspects were addressed. Included in the fee was access to the circuit during the race. Regrettably since the driving force behind this initiative, Kevin Miller, got promoted the course has ceased.........maybe someone could revive it.

In the absence of a specific motorsport course I would advise using the internet as a source of learning. This forum contains much useful information as do many of the other forums that are set up by the various sanctioning bodies..........most have some area on photography or links to site that do. Also look at the galleries from the various official photographers of either the manufacturers, teams and series. You will get plenty of inspiration from the work exhibited.

To improve all round technique I would suggest looking at the following sites:
www.luminous-landscape.com
www.robgalbraith.com
www.outbackphoto.com
www.sportsshooter.com
www.automotivephoto.com

Use these reference points to explore further.

As to making a living out of motorsport photography..........almost impossible.

If a professional is defined as someone who runs a enterprise that pays all the business bills and leaves sufficient profit (I must look that word up in the dictionary some day) to put a roof over their head and food on the table then the evidence shows that there are many professional drivers and very few professional photographers.

The market outside of F1 and NASCAR is small and not large enough to sustain the numbers of those wishing to work in it. (F1 is pretty much a closed shop, just try and get a pass for a Grand Prix. In anycase such chances to work in F1 with the agencies are poorly paid for the beginners as the debates over the "Sutton Job" illustrated).
In the UK things are made worse by the monopoly position of Haymarket in the motorsport press.

Factor in the relative cheapness of prosumer digital camera gear and the ease with which non-commercial self-setup websites obtain accreditation at even international events outside of F1 and you have a disastrous situation of expanded supply for a relatively static market.....prices can only drop.

As a pastime, motorsport photography is great; as a business it is very hard.

Good luck either way.
Old 21 Dec 2005, 11:32 (Ref:1487974)   #5
Snapperjack
Racer

Snapperjack should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nicely put 500mm. Thanks
Old 21 Dec 2005, 20:43 (Ref:1488325)   #6
BuzzedHornet
Rookie

BuzzedHornet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
VS346 / John,

Thank you all for your responses. I would consider myself an intermediate shooter. Just like everyone in this forum, racing is a passion.

There are many packages out there for the person who wants to go to Monaco and spend the weekend with an ex driver and maybe take a tour of McLaren factory for example.

I am trying to find a similar travel package but aimed at photography. I don't want to try to make a living doing this; I would just like to find a travel package of interest that includes cars and pictures...I can not find anything on the net.

So Maybe I will have to take Mike up on his offer!!

Happy Holidays everyone.
Old 23 Dec 2005, 01:18 (Ref:1489050)   #7
Peter_May
Rookie

England
Maidstone
Peter_May should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHoyer
Pay me and I'll happily spend a weekend with you showing you the ropes
Can I invoice you for that champ car weekend where I showed you the ropes?
Old 23 Dec 2005, 01:34 (Ref:1489054)   #8
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I never saw any rope, just a whole lot of fence.
Old 23 Dec 2005, 03:46 (Ref:1489079)   #9
gravel_monkey
Veteran

England
widnes
gravel_monkey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
all depends were in the country you are and what circuits u r planning to attend. if its oulton park, anglesey or croft why dont you see if kenny g has any tips or can take you round. hes a great bloke and takes some fantastic pics. have a look at www.motorpix.co.uk

i think he has my fav pic of the year, fpa weekend, bruce hodges in an fpa just before he plowed the tyre wall under kens nose