Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 8 Jan 2007, 16:19 (Ref:1809722)   #1
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mallory Park - Rubbish

Not what you think! -
In my opinion the best circuit in thr country, that's why I live there.
Over the winter I've wandered in a few times, to have a chat with the lads & watch them hard at work, renewing all the tyre walls. What's appalled me is the amount of rubbish that's been dumped in the tyres, from Umberellas to Thermos Flasks, and everything in between, most worryingly broken bottles. I suspect these have been dumped on a Saturday night, as people walk back from the pub on the outside of the circuit back to the paddock.
Rubbish in tyres is not a good idea, is it?
1) It attracts rats who love our throw away food, problem is, their urine leaves behind it Weils Diesase.
2) Should a car (or bike) demolish the tyre wall, Big Wayne has to repair it before the meeting can continue, how would you like to work with other peoples waste?
For the new season each Marshals Post is going to have a Wheely Bin for our rubbish, so come on lets use it.

Thanks
Old 8 Jan 2007, 16:58 (Ref:1809743)   #2
Novice
Racer

England
Rochester, Kent
Novice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unfortunately this is not unique to Mallory Park. Brands has its own tyre wall landfill problem as does Silverstone. At the GP 2 years ago when Trulli hit the tyres at Priory it was not just bits of car tyres and gravel that had to be cleared away but also plastic bottles, sandwich wrappers, polystyrene cups and other rubbish. Most circuits provide rubbish bins to use or if not take it home with you and maybe recycle it.
Old 8 Jan 2007, 19:49 (Ref:1809870)   #3
allanh
Racer

allanh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dave, using a bin is no problem as long as one is provided, even a bin liner would do, but it has been ages since this has been the case, not everyone seems willing to take rubbish home or even to the bins in the paddock.
Old 8 Jan 2007, 20:11 (Ref:1809890)   #4
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree, the lads at Mallory assure me that there wil be one at every post by the start of the season, & you can quote me on that.
Old 8 Jan 2007, 20:18 (Ref:1809896)   #5
Chris Hobson
Veteran

Chris Hobson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quick tyre story.
JCC meeting - I was MSA STeward. Jag XK impacted the barriers exiting devils elbow. Landed in middle of the track, no wheels left, tyre barrier badly damaged. Crew on scene start to reconstruct the barrier when the circuit cat screams off stage left at 100 mph. Looking at the tyres we see a small tail poking out - fearing the worst we tip back the tyres - to see four small kittens sitting there wondering what the hell is going on - seems mummy cat had made her nest in the tyres to give birth and was loking after the kittens there. Kittens found happy homes, cat eventually calmed down and returned.

So please - take care of what you put in the tyres and keep them clean - kitty may need them.

P.S. Motoring news reporter wanted to headline his reports "Jaguar attacks Edwina's pussy at Mallory" - but decided it might not be politically correct!

Chris Hobson
Old 8 Jan 2007, 20:25 (Ref:1809903)   #6
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk
For the new season each Marshals Post is going to have a Wheely Bin for our rubbish, so come on lets use it.

Thanks
I feel sorry for the poor sod that has to wheel them from the back end of Gerrards to be emptied into the waste truck.
Old 8 Jan 2007, 20:29 (Ref:1809904)   #7
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
The STIG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh so Pembrey isn't the only one with cats living in the tyres!?
Old 8 Jan 2007, 22:38 (Ref:1810015)   #8
jonbryant
Veteran

England
Horsham, West Sussex
jonbryant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjonbryant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is that what is meant by "throwing it into the kitty litter..."

(Sorry, I've been to the pub...)
Old 8 Jan 2007, 22:54 (Ref:1810022)   #9
Clive
Veteran

England
Westcott
Clive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridClive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I got lambasted a year or so ago for being one of the few who owned up to dumping my rubbish in the tyre wall. I hasten to add I take it home with me now if there is no litter bin
Old 9 Jan 2007, 20:54 (Ref:1810714)   #10
B and H
Rookie

United Kingdom
Buckingham
B and H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Dave, glad you've raised this issue as it's bothered us for years. Let's face it - there's no excuse for dumping rubbish. Every marshal turns up at a race meeting with a bag big enough to house a family in, so there must be space to take rubbish home. But no - time after time it is just dumped into the tyres - left to rot and attract all sorts of unsavoury characters - and I don't just mean other marshals! When freebie food is given out in brown bags, or when lovely clubs give us things like flasks, etc., the packaging can be seen abandoned all around the circuit - sometimes not even making it into the tyres or a bin - shame on you all for doing that! I always think - how would you like it if I went to your house and dumped my rubbish on your driveway. The new year resolution has to be - IF YOU REALLY CAN'T FIND A BIN ON A GREAT BIG MOTOR RACING CIRCUIT - TAKE YOUR RUBBISH HOME WITH YOU - ALL OF IT - WHATEVER CIRCUIT YOU ARE AT.
Old 10 Jan 2007, 09:47 (Ref:1811113)   #11
scorch
Racer

England
scorch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My pet hate, and i have been given the cold shoulder by a marshall for having a go at him putting rubbish in the tyre wall...

There is NO excuse and NO need for it.

At time when marshalls are after a better deal with the clubs and circuit operators what image does it send out whenever they have to do maintenance on a tyre wall they have to pick up a skip load of rubbish!!!!

As a lot of marshalls read these forums, lets all make a 2007 resolution to NOT to put rubbish in the tyres and to stop anybody else on post from doin it...
Old 10 Jan 2007, 10:22 (Ref:1811147)   #12
Red Bladder
Rookie

United Kingdom
Red Bladder should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I also concur with this and will use the bins or take rubbish home in future BUT there are two other forms of rubbish that (can't/should not?) go in a wheely bin....so lets have some portaloos (especially at post 5, 3/4,7,9 etc).
Old 10 Jan 2007, 12:10 (Ref:1811290)   #13
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I do the same, I put the rubbish in a bin or take it home (even if it is far ).
But don't you hate the left-over car parts from crashes, that some people dump in the tyrewalls, as well?
Old 10 Jan 2007, 12:52 (Ref:1811340)   #14
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
It's very much in our own interests. Rubbish in the Tyre Walls will inevitably attract rats. Wild rats carry Leptospirosis which they deposit via their urine and can be easily passed to humans. Leptospirosis (or Weil's Disease) is pretty nasty and can even kill.

Tip: Another good reason for wearing your gloves at all times, not just when handling cars...
Old 10 Jan 2007, 13:21 (Ref:1811385)   #15
mick dickens
Racer

England
bollington
mick dickens should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
bins

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk
I agree, the lads at Mallory assure me that there wil be one at every post by the start of the season, & you can quote me on that.

i too think it is a good idea to have bins on every post, after all it can be done on the cheap as thousands are now on the streets, makes a change from shoping trollies, BUT WILL THEY GET EMPTIED.
Old 10 Jan 2007, 13:38 (Ref:1811409)   #16
Bryan Degerlund
Veteran

England
Dartford
Bryan Degerlund should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

There is a wheelie-bin at the startline post at Brands Hatch.On the second day of the truck meeting last November, it was full to the brim, but a quick word with Brands staff had it emptied and a fresh binbag inserted within the hour. One of the plus points of JP's regime.
Old 10 Jan 2007, 13:48 (Ref:1811423)   #17
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Not being a trackside marshal this is a new concept to me. It had never ocurred to me that Marshals would do this. Why would anyone do that? What do they think is going to happen to the rubbish? Frankly I'm gobsmacked!

As for there not being bins, put it in a bag and take it home, there are lots of places in this world where there aren't bins, that's no reason for dumping litter on the floor.
Old 10 Jan 2007, 15:44 (Ref:1811526)   #18
racerkeke
Veteran

Canada
The Great Green North
racerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Something I've seen here that might work for clubs that have "corner packets" or similar (like the packets I saw given out to Observers at sign-on at the 750MC event I went to last year). Each packet comes with a green garbage bag folded up and clipped to the clipboard or tucked in the binder. The bag is filled over the weekend and (depending on the club or track) either put at the edge of the track for pickup by Track Services when they pick up the extinguishers, brooms, etc.; left for pickup by the track management; or taken to a garbage can by a member of the flag crew.

For pro races this is pretty much SOP in North America -- this or having a garbage can for our use at every station. Heck, in some places we even get one bag for recyclables and one for garbage. Club races tend to use the garbage bag with corner packet system.

Would this work for you guys?

keke
Old 10 Jan 2007, 16:02 (Ref:1811539)   #19
SouthportFC Fan
Racer

Wales
Southport
SouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Easy system to be adopted !!

Empty bin bag brought round by CofC or someone like that before play begins. It gets filled during the day by us and can then be left by observer's box for collection by circuit staff the next day.All we would have to do is tie it closed. If there's a worry about wildlife ripping it open, then we use two bags and put the one with the refuse in the second. If it's a multi-day meeting, then the previous day's collection could be picked up before the start of the second day.
Old 10 Jan 2007, 17:34 (Ref:1811598)   #20
Clive
Veteran

England
Westcott
Clive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridClive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nah, it's too simple. It'd never work!
Old 10 Jan 2007, 17:56 (Ref:1811626)   #21
Circuitmarshal
Veteran

England
Historic RAF Tangmere, West Sussex
Circuitmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCircuitmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bet there is at least one person on post with a carrier bag, that will be empty by the end of the day.
Put all your rubbish in it and as it has two handles even two people could carry it to the bin!
Old 10 Jan 2007, 18:13 (Ref:1811639)   #22
Gridlock
Racer

England
Buckinghamshire
Gridlock should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGridlock should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I fully agree and am apualed at those who put rubbish in tyre walls or seem to find other places to insert them. I fully support using bins where necesary but its even better if we take our rubbish home.
If there are some many of us that feel this way, where does it come from?
Old 10 Jan 2007, 18:19 (Ref:1811641)   #23
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
I'm doing all the 16 car race days @ Mallory & a couple of bikes as well, so I'll make sure the bins are empitied, lets make sure we fill them up.
Old 10 Jan 2007, 20:02 (Ref:1811720)   #24
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I berate anyone who dumps rubbish into the tyre wall (remember being told not to do it many, many years ago).

Bill will tell you that at the end of each season, he empties the rubbish out of my marshalling bag and tells me off - to no avail!!

My excuse is that, come Monday, I have other things to think about - like work!
Old 10 Jan 2007, 20:25 (Ref:1811731)   #25
Clive
Veteran

England
Westcott
It's not me! I don't do it any more! ask uncle Les!