NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

NiceGuyEddie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Renault On The Verge Of Mistake?

Quote:
Trulli under fire after practice error

Renault chief "disappointed" with his star driver

Trulli's spin left him a little red faced

Jarno Trulli has come under fire from his Renault team after spinning off early in the second hour of free practice for the French Grand Prix at Magny-Cours this morning.

Trulli spun on the exit of the right-left sequence of Nurburgring after just five minutes of Friday's second session, lightly tapping the barrier with the rear of his car which meant the end of his running. He ended the day just 19th fastest.

"The spin was simply my mistake," he admitted. "I'm very disappointed after today's sessions."

Renault's head of race engineering, Denis Chevrier, was in a similar frame of mind after the sessions and blamed his Italian driver for losing the potential of more data gathering.

"We are disappointed that Jarno managed to complete so few laps, and even more so because the second session is when track conditions allow us to collect the most useful data," he said. "The fact that we lack half our usual amount of information penalises us in terms of the overall programme as well as Jarno's."

Trulli's team-mate Jenson Button ended the day ninth quickest, and said: "It was a very satisfactory day for me."
Courtesy of autosport.com

It's not often that a driver gets openly critizised, but Trulli is raising doubts. Not only for carrying huge amounts of sheer bad luck, but also for seemingly not being quite up there with Jenson Button. Yet the latter seems to be forced out of his Renault-seat.

Even from a management point of view, this doenst seem too logical. Flavio holds the contracts of both Trulli and Alonso. As it seems, they will be teammates in 2003 for the team that Flavio is running. One of em will lose to the other, probably Trulli. Either way, at the end of 2003 Flavio will probably have a driver who has lost to his teammate. Why would Flavio put two of 'his' driverss head to head with oneanother?

Be that as it may, the impression is raised that it is Flavio who is deciding about the Renault-drivers. I would think Renault-managemant would have to have the final say. If that were the case I would imagine that Trulli, and not Button, would be the one making place for Alonso. Not only based on the quoted article.

Is Renault making a mistake by dismissing Button and keeping Trulli? I think they are.
Old 19 Jul 2002, 22:37 (Ref:337779)   #2
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Renault really should get rid of Trulli, if they really want Alonso in the team next year.

Button has out performed Trulli in more than 1 race this season.
Old 19 Jul 2002, 22:42 (Ref:337783)   #3
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

NiceGuyEddie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yet they sent Button out looking for a drive, and Trulli seems to be safe. How come??
Old 19 Jul 2002, 23:05 (Ref:337793)   #4
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the only clear thing is, we have to see Alonso in a good car now!
Old 19 Jul 2002, 23:15 (Ref:337799)   #5
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
FIA should impose the rule for the big teams to run 3 cars, Button, Trulli and Alonso...
Old 19 Jul 2002, 23:16 (Ref:337800)   #6
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good idea.

Everyone else 3 cars, Ferrari 1 car.
Old 19 Jul 2002, 23:29 (Ref:337807)   #7
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Trulli and Button are still even this year in my book. So Trulli made a mistake. Who cares? Everyone makes mistakes. Personally, I think Button and Trulli should remain teammates next year. This criticism of Trulli is uncalled for, because he has been at least as quick, if not quicker at just about every race this year.
Old 19 Jul 2002, 23:31 (Ref:337808)   #8
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If that was the case (Ferrri one car) the sad thing is we would still be looking at the same thing this weekend; MS about to clinch the title. Even if MS qualifys 6th he will still be favorite...
BAck to the point. I too feel that Trulli is overrated. He was fast at Jordan in qualifying. It showed the car was good. However, he is not one of the best racers,IMO. JB is not exactly spectular either but impresses me more than Trulli. If JB goes it will again prove that politics in F1 is far more infuential than a drivers performance.
Old 19 Jul 2002, 23:52 (Ref:337815)   #9
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Remember that it is The Evil One that runs that team... Poor Giancarlo...
Old 19 Jul 2002, 23:53 (Ref:337816)   #10
LindaC
Rookie

LindaC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally posted by NiceGuyEddie
Yet they sent Button out looking for a drive, and Trulli seems to be safe. How come??
Maybe because Trulli has a contract for 2003 and Button is coming to the end of his loan period????

Incidentally, Flavio revealed in an F1 Digital interview that Renault bought 50% of his management company when they bought Benetton. So Trulli is truly a Renault driver, as is Alonso. Button is a Williams driver.

The Renault press release really didn't sound as critical of Jarno as autosport.com's take on it. The team said a similar thing when Jenson crashed in Monaco.They're sorry they lost some time today and so is Jarno, these things happen. They are just stating facts here.

On Sky, John Watson, who seems to be quite knowledgeable, blamed the Michelin tyres which have the characteristic of making the rear end snap away in certain conditions, for Jarno's spin. The team will know this. The same thing happened even more spectacularly to Montoya but he was lucky to have more of a run off area and didn't hit anything. In fact, Montoya had 4 or 5 spins during the sessions, but in different places.

The track was slippery today and the drivers were all over the place. And at least one of the Bridgestone runners managed a good spin near the end of session two. Someone called Schumacher, I think.
Old 20 Jul 2002, 01:57 (Ref:337857)   #11
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Trulli is safe because he is contracted to Briatore. That's the only reason he's there in the first place.

As for the comments, mistakes happen but Trulli has had a lot of bad luck this year, and the team probably expected him to beat Button more often that he has.
Old 20 Jul 2002, 07:58 (Ref:337918)   #12
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Sky has just said that Flavour Flav is having a press conference at 4.30 (French time) this afternoon to announce the driver line up next year!
Old 20 Jul 2002, 09:06 (Ref:337942)   #13
bart_jacobs
Racer

bart_jacobs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What I don't understand is why any team boss wants a driver that seems to be unlucky...and with Trulli it's not just on occasions but with him something seems to go wrong every race!!I don't doubt his speed or capability but if you were a team boss,would you want him??He's a bit like Badoer just when he seems to have his big break...something is going wrong...
Old 20 Jul 2002, 09:32 (Ref:337959)   #14
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
It looks as if some people think that qualifying duels are more important than race results.

Qualifying:
Trulli - Button 7-3

Old 20 Jul 2002, 09:33 (Ref:337960)   #15
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by bart_jacobs
What I don't understand is why any team boss wants a driver that seems to be unlucky...and with Trulli it's not just on occasions but with him something seems to go wrong every race!!
Depends what percentage of that drivers wages the team boss is getting!
Old 20 Jul 2002, 09:50 (Ref:337969)   #16
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Look, Bunsen is gone from Renault next year, whether we like it or not. The big mistake Flav is making, and one which nobody has stated so far is that Bunsen is very young and certainly has a lot more potential than Jarno. Let's hope he has a great season with Sauber next year, and eventually gets back to Williams when JPM goes to Ferrari.

Valve[img]http://www.**************************/smilies/bouncy.gif[/img]
Old 20 Jul 2002, 09:53 (Ref:337972)   #17
Jack racer
Racer

Jack racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thats **** the team should stick up for the driver even if he spins in the race thats not on.
Old 20 Jul 2002, 09:55 (Ref:337973)   #18
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by Valve Bounce
Look, Bunsen is gone from Renault next year, whether we like it or not.
I think the hardest thing to swallow is not the fact that Jenson's contract isn't being renewed it's the fact that it would appear that Flavour Flav is just trying to line his pockets at Jenson's expence. Hasn't Flav got enough money already?
Old 20 Jul 2002, 10:12 (Ref:337983)   #19
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
You forget Fisi last year. Flav is half a notch less lower than Walkinshaw.

Valve

Last edited by Valve Bounce; 20 Jul 2002 at 10:14.
Old 20 Jul 2002, 12:25 (Ref:338042)   #20
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by hakkiman
Renault really should get rid of Trulli, if they really want Alonso in the team next year.

Button has out performed Trulli in more than 1 race this season.
there's only one man Renault need to get rid of- and that's Briatore.....
Old 20 Jul 2002, 12:44 (Ref:338075)   #21
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The man is a moron.
Old 20 Jul 2002, 12:51 (Ref:338082)   #22
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by Tristan
The man is a moron.
Very eloquently put Tristian, but maybe you ought to change that to "the man is a greedy moron!"
Old 20 Jul 2002, 13:14 (Ref:338107)   #23
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, come on. Be real. He's a buffoon, Briatore. What does he want?? Fast drivers?? or a mediocre Italian?? Even my gran could see that Button's been the better of the two this year.

Unless.....

There COULD be something very very clever lined up that we're not expecting. Whatever it is, Button seems pleased as punch with his drive next year.

Dare I even consider mentioning a word beginning with a capitol "W"???????
Old 20 Jul 2002, 13:41 (Ref:338133)   #24
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Tristan,

For some reason, I find myself agreeing that the team he could be joining starts with a 'W' and end in 'lliams'.......

Considering all the speculation, it would be a massive turn-up for the bookies. But the big question would then be: which one of the two there now is a goner?
Old 20 Jul 2002, 13:55 (Ref:338144)   #25
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by f1manoz
But the big question would then be: which one of the two there now is a goner?
Depends if Sir Frank wants a driver or a racer in the seat!