Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 24 May 2005, 17:36 (Ref:1309186)   #1
beau1
Veteran

Wales
Swansea,Wales
beau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Unlucky

i have to say Micheal Schumacher has had a unluckey couple of races. the tyres punchere's at Barcelona and knocking his front wing off at Monaco. I think if these to incidents had not happened to him then he could have come second in each race and will be a lot more closer to Alonso in the championship. Although the car is not the best at the begining of an race nor in qualifying it does have some blistering mid-race pace.
Old 24 May 2005, 17:40 (Ref:1309191)   #2
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
what goes around comes around 3 1/2 seasons (50 odd races?) of out and out luck, now it's come back to bite him.
Old 24 May 2005, 17:43 (Ref:1309194)   #3
beau1
Veteran

Wales
Swansea,Wales
beau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V
3 1/2 seasons (50 odd races?) of out and out luck, now it's come back to bite him.
People always say he's lucky but he's not really. People always also say that Coulthard is unluckey. i think he's more lucky than unluckey
Old 24 May 2005, 18:07 (Ref:1309214)   #4
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well if he's not lucky then he's even more skilled and brilliant than people give him credit for.

And DC did survive a plane crash in 2001...
Old 24 May 2005, 18:13 (Ref:1309223)   #5
beau1
Veteran

Wales
Swansea,Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logrence
#
And DC did survive a plane crash in 2001...
i mean on the track
Old 24 May 2005, 18:16 (Ref:1309229)   #6
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Coulthard was unlucky that Schumacher pole-axed him after he'd negotiated a path around the spun Minardi at Monaco. Michael was admittedly unlucky that he had to tour back to the pits under green flag conditions because of the late deployment of the safety car, but that didn't cost him a huge amount.

I'd say Michael's had more good than bad luck throughout his career. There were a few crashes (Suzuka 1991, Belgium 1995, Hockenheim 2001) which could easily have been worse than Silverstone. And tehre was that run of 3 years without a mechanical failure.
Old 24 May 2005, 18:21 (Ref:1309236)   #7
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
F1 has always run to a cycle - teams do well then not so well, it has always happened and always will. Ferrari and MS have had an excellent 'run' but it's impossible to maintain or sustain the level of performance and competitiveness they have shown in recent years.

That's the top and bottom of it IMO.
Old 24 May 2005, 18:26 (Ref:1309240)   #8
beau1
Veteran

Wales
Swansea,Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
And tehre was that run of 3 years without a mechanical failure.
People should congratulate Ferrari for that. Remember the first year he had at Ferrari and how many time they broke down.Other teams should follow in their footsteps.I think being reliable is not being lucky. Its just the sign of a good team and car.
Old 24 May 2005, 19:20 (Ref:1309275)   #9
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by beau1
People always say he's lucky but he's not really. People always also say that Coulthard is unluckey. i think he's more lucky than unluckey
Straight from the horse's mouth - I refer you to DC on the ITV-F1 site...

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Coulthard
There's not so much to say. Albers spun his car going into the corner, so I slowed down to avoid him. However, Michael couldn't see me and he hit the back of my car, which damaged the back wing and rear suspension.

For that to happen twice in one weekend… well, lets just say it's pretty bad luck.
Old 24 May 2005, 19:32 (Ref:1309287)   #10
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Yoong Montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Remember the first year he had at Ferrari and how many time they broke down.

Yeah that's true. How many mechanical DNFs did he have in the first 6 races of 1996 does anyone know? He's had 2 this year at Bahrain and Catalunya.

Vyvyan - The Young Ones
Old 24 May 2005, 20:00 (Ref:1309306)   #11
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
People should congratulate Ferrari for that. Remember the first year he had at Ferrari and how many time they broke down.Other teams should follow in their footsteps.I think being reliable is not being lucky. Its just the sign of a good team and car.
How come Rubens doesn't have the same reliabiity then? A lot of races have fallen into Michael's lap over the years.
Old 24 May 2005, 20:06 (Ref:1309311)   #12
Paarma
Racer

Finland
Europe
Paarma should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Obviously Michael's car is number one priority. A team like ferrari should be able to give a fair amount of attention to both of them though. Maybe Rubens just pushes his too far.
Old 24 May 2005, 22:08 (Ref:1309435)   #13
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Lucky? Hmmm.

Well his problems in Spain could well have been a result of running over the limits of the car to try and gain something from the weekend. In Monaco he ran into DC, but I don't think he could have been expecting much better.
Old 24 May 2005, 22:16 (Ref:1309441)   #14
beau1
Veteran

Wales
Swansea,Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
In Monaco he ran into DC, but I don't think he could have been expecting much better.
would'nt he have most probably been ahead of Montoya and that group plus maybe infront of Alonso. Well it depends what could have happened.

Last edited by Adam43; 24 May 2005 at 22:31. Reason: sorry, I accidentally hit edit instead of quote.
Old 24 May 2005, 22:18 (Ref:1309442)   #15
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoong Montoya
Yeah that's true. How many mechanical DNFs did he have in the first 6 races of 1996 does anyone know? He's had 2 this year at Bahrain and Catalunya.
Two. Brakes in Australia, and a broken wing in Argentina.
Old 24 May 2005, 22:33 (Ref:1309453)   #16
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
would'nt he have most probably been ahead of Montoya and that group plus maybe infront of Alonso. Well it depends what could have happened.
If, if, if and DC may still have been ahead of him and thi scould have effected his strategy. Or DC's engine might have blown in front of him. Or, or, or

I see Michael thinks he may have been fifth in this article: http://www.autosport-atlas.com/news.aspx?id=44464&s=5

In that same article he is also asked the following question, which is below with his reply.
Quote:
Q. Do you think you have a lot of bad luck at the moment?

MS: I don't think so. These are just things that can happen. That is part of motor racing. You have to bear in mind that I had less of those situations in the past than other drivers. Maybe that had to do with the fact that I used to be more at the front. At the moment we are in a period in which we have to accept that stuff like that can happen.
Old 24 May 2005, 22:45 (Ref:1309461)   #17
beau1
Veteran

Wales
Swansea,Wales
wow he's enthusiastic as ever.
Old 25 May 2005, 03:40 (Ref:1309531)   #18
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's good to see Michael not taking the easy way out and blame "luck" for it.

Ferrari have always stated that luck comes with preparation. While it's tempting for me to say it's bad luck..and in a way when things like Albers spinning out of no where in front of DC and Michael is bad luck, there are things such as Spain (where it's poor tyres) and things such as Imola (where it's human error), and then the qualifying positions which are down to the package's inability to pull a fast first lap. Insufficient preparation.

And similarly, it's ridiculous how some people like to think that his recent years success is "good luck", but when he is running into trouble, it's because he's past it or he deserves it. Reliability isn't luck. Speed isn't luck. Teams don't spend millions of dollars to let the results be depended on luck. As for the Rubens vs Michael comparison, so are we to say Alonso's luckier than Fisichella? Kimi luckier than JPM? When's it ever gonna end?

Luck plays just a small factor...very small. Is Minardi extremely unlucky? Or simply because they're not doing enough to beat the rest?
Old 25 May 2005, 04:27 (Ref:1309545)   #19
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i think he was saving up all his bad luck credits and the racing gods realized his account was full this year
Old 25 May 2005, 09:55 (Ref:1309665)   #20
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
If he believed in luck he wouldn't have made it to 7 world titles - if you believe that everything happens for a reason, it makes things a whole lot easier.
Old 25 May 2005, 12:33 (Ref:1309806)   #21
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
How come Rubens doesn't have the same reliabiity then? A lot of races have fallen into Michael's lap over the years.
Whilst I would agree that, over the balance of his career, Schuey has had more good luck than bad, I still wouldn't say that he has won that many races where he simply lucked-in (not compared to his 83 total anyway!). He wins because he is good, because he tries to get everything sorted before the off, and because he is number 1 at Ferrari.

Quote:
Given the pace he had after his wing change, I think that - given the right strategy - he may well have finished ahead of the Alonso-Montoya group, but it's difficult to say exactly where he would have finished.
Old 25 May 2005, 13:31 (Ref:1309868)   #22
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You could argue that since his car/tyre package is not that competitive this year, he is being lucky right now in saving all his bad luck for when the Championship is beyond any Ferrari driver's reach anyhow.

As for his many previous "lucky" moments - like the saying goes "the more you practice the luckier you get"! Or, as stated by others "luck is when preparation meets opportunity".
Old 25 May 2005, 13:38 (Ref:1309873)   #23
marcel82
Veteran

European Union
Beersel, Belgium
marcel82 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Michael was admittedly unlucky that he had to tour back to the pits under green flag conditions because of the late deployment of the safety car, but that didn't cost him a huge amount.
Michael did not go back under green conditions. in fact, he waited to continue until the SC was brought out. he claims that the Minardi of Albers was blocking him, but this picture shows that his car was completely ahead of the minardi, and it was him who was blocking the road.
Old 25 May 2005, 13:41 (Ref:1309874)   #24
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That picture is after the Sauber had moved out of the way.
Old 25 May 2005, 16:16 (Ref:1310014)   #25
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Unlucky? Yes, a little.

But, quite frankly, it's about ruddy time the man had some bad luck. As well as being one of the very best drivers of the past decade or so, he has also been far and away the luckiest! It's quite novel this season, to see him having bad luck.