Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 5 Jul 2005, 09:51 (Ref:1347526)   #1
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
FIA releases changed 2008 rules...

The 2008 technical and sporting regulations have been approved by the FIA World Council and ammended slightly since a month ago.

Minimum car width 2000mm!

Wheels must be external to the bodywork in plain view!

Rear tyres 10cm wider than the fronts!

Interesting, no mention of slicks, but also no mention of racing on grooved tyres either...

http://www.f1racing.net/en/news.php?newsID=91693
Old 5 Jul 2005, 10:16 (Ref:1347541)   #2
Kidzer
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Kidzer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKidzer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sounds good!
Old 5 Jul 2005, 10:20 (Ref:1347545)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The new regs are available from the FIA website: http://www.fia.com/resources/documen..._Regs_2008.pdf
Old 5 Jul 2005, 10:22 (Ref:1347546)   #4
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Interesting, the wording of the gearbox regs are rather vague to me, it states that gearchanges must be mechanical, well touring car gearchanges use mechanical sequential units, which use a series of pumps and pistons to change the gears.
I wonder if these would be allowed?

EDIT: just realised, the FIA are going to supply the gearbox anyway...
Old 5 Jul 2005, 12:27 (Ref:1347657)   #5
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mosley is insane. A standard gearbox, standard tyres, standard brakes have nothing to do with Formula 1! This will be the end of Formula 1 and the birth of the GPWC.
Old 5 Jul 2005, 12:31 (Ref:1347664)   #6
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
I hope and think that Mosley won't be re-elected as FIA-president later this year.
Old 5 Jul 2005, 12:34 (Ref:1347672)   #7
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingguest
Mosley is insane. A standard gearbox, standard tyres, standard brakes have nothing to do with Formula 1! This will be the end of Formula 1 and the birth of the GPWC.
Look at that another way - do independent teams like Jordan and Minardi have any place in F1? If they do, F1 needs to radically cut costs.
Old 5 Jul 2005, 13:08 (Ref:1347711)   #8
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
F1 already has "standard" equipment, the fuel rigs, the wooden plank underbody. Besides we had "standard" tyres for many many years up to 1996 and from 1999 - 2000.

I must admit, im not exactly in love with the idea of standard parts, but i'd rather have standard parts than no F1 at all due to costs exploding...
Old 5 Jul 2005, 13:26 (Ref:1347726)   #9
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Sorry, I can't find them.

On the FIA site, I can only find:
- a new draft version of the 2008 F1 Technical Regulations (finale version to appear before the end of 2005)
- a summary of the main changes (again, for the F1 Technical regulations).

Haven't seen anything about the 2008 F1 Sporting Regulations yet.
Old 5 Jul 2005, 14:29 (Ref:1347794)   #10
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm more interested in racing than I am in cars, so I applaud these rules.
Old 5 Jul 2005, 14:44 (Ref:1347821)   #11
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen
Look at that another way - do independent teams like Jordan and Minardi have any place in F1? If they do, F1 needs to radically cut costs.
Cost reductions are welcome if it doesn't harm the racing and the sport as the pinnacle of motor racing. From that point a free car acquisition and standard ECU (with the possibility to change its configuration) are acceptable.
Old 5 Jul 2005, 14:46 (Ref:1347823)   #12
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monster
I must admit, im not exactly in love with the idea of standard parts, but i'd rather have standard parts than no F1 at all due to costs exploding...
I would rather have an elite Formula 1 than no Formula 1, because (almost) all manufactors left the sport.
Old 5 Jul 2005, 14:51 (Ref:1347834)   #13
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
But Formula One would be better without the manufacturers....
Old 5 Jul 2005, 14:59 (Ref:1347853)   #14
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
these regs are fantastic - I really hope they get through - not only will it make F1 good again but it will supply loads of great copy for me to write about.
Old 5 Jul 2005, 15:12 (Ref:1347869)   #15
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
If these regs go through, and thats a very big "IF", then F1 will be partly returned to its glory days (in my eyes at least).
A time when drivers could push and punish cars and not tear their tyres apart in 5 laps, the ability to overtake frequently, throttle control, clutch control, gear management, all these elements will be returned.

However, I doubt the FIA will be able to force all these measures through, there is always a sticking point. But if even just some of these rules are adopted, it will be a major victory for logic over stupidity.
Old 5 Jul 2005, 15:56 (Ref:1347914)   #16
Frank_White
Racer

Frank_White should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that the regulations are excellent. They are true driver regulations. I think that they will move F1 to the realm of motogp. In moto gp, success is more down to the rider the bikes, (N.B. Rossi). In F1 success is mostly down to the cars. Wthout a good car tgf is nowhere. last year Alonso was nowhere. In my opinion why place so much emphasis on the "Drivers Championship" if the drivers are secondary to the cars?

The only way to restore the prominence of the F1 driver is to remove electronic aids such as traction control and special transmission gear changes. Further the removal of the downforce will shift emphasis from aero to mechanical grip allowing closer racing and less expense from wind tunnels etc. Therefore, as in everything in life compromises must be made. There is seldom a perfect solution, but shifting the regs to enable F1 to be more about the driver seems to be the best way to go.

I only wish that these changes were implemented in 2006!
Old 5 Jul 2005, 17:09 (Ref:1347979)   #17
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monster
If these regs go through, and thats a very big "IF", then F1 will be partly returned to its glory days (in my eyes at least).
A time when drivers could push and punish cars and not tear their tyres apart in 5 laps, the ability to overtake frequently, throttle control, clutch control, gear management, all these elements will be returned.
To make overtaking easier, it's not necessary to reduce the downforce with 90%. Venturis are still used in the American open-wheel series. That makes the car a lot less dependent to the wings, which make overtaking very difficult.

Throttle control is good thing. That's the reason I like the idea of a standard ECU. But the keeping the throttle under control will become easier if the engine becomes less powerfull. And that's just what the FIA is doing at the moment.

I consider the semi-automatic gearboxes as a real Formula 1-thing. So, I would like to see the Formula 1 keep these gearboxes.
Old 5 Jul 2005, 17:27 (Ref:1347999)   #18
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
I don't understand anyone who suggests that F1 won't be the pinnacle anymore without gizmo's and technology etc... There will still be plenty for car makers to learn about aerodynamics, grip, rubber, safety, frictional losses etc that they can pass onto their road car development

F1 (or whatever it ends up as in 2008) will always be the fastest, most interesting form of motorsport for manufacturers. It always has been.

What the FIA are doing is clearly addressing the criticisms levelled at it over the last few years by ensuring that it has a set of regulations that benefit both competitors (manufacturers, drivers, teams) spectators and sponsors.

A lot of it may be due to the fact that without the fag money F1 is gonna be in trouble anyway, so a more 'appealing, racier' series is bouind to attract more backers because more people will want to watch it again, and subsequently other firms will want to advertise their brands in it.

This isn't an excuse for a rant it's just logic as Monster has already said.

Kick out the horrendous costs, get more cars with simpler to maintain and operate equipment on them and the rest will take care of itself!
Old 5 Jul 2005, 17:31 (Ref:1348001)   #19
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
This rule made me smile:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIA proposed 2008 rules
6.6 Fuel draining and sampling :
6.6.1 Competitors must provide a means of fully draining the fuel tank.
Old 5 Jul 2005, 18:23 (Ref:1348051)   #20
Kicking-back
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingguest

I consider the semi-automatic gearboxes as a real Formula 1-thing. So, I would like to see the Formula 1 keep these gearboxes.

Was Formula 1 only invented in 1989?
Old 5 Jul 2005, 18:29 (Ref:1348056)   #21
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The rules really promote engineering solutions rather than aero or computational - its great.
Old 5 Jul 2005, 19:21 (Ref:1348107)   #22
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen
That's right. You can't have it both ways. I don't know why so many make a fuss about standardizing key and expensive components. It leaves plenty of room for innovation and engineering, not to mention that it levels the playing field to a degree. It sounds to me, though painfully slow, F1 is heading in the right direction. We just have to hope that the Minardis and Jordans of F1 can remain afloat until then; I think they will. Also and perhaps more importantly, such standards may attract new independent teams that may be considering the endeavour. The 20 car field is a minimum in my opinion.
Old 6 Jul 2005, 03:59 (Ref:1348426)   #23
Asa
Veteran

Hong Kong
Disneyland
Asa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you want limited technology and races won on pure driving talent, then you have GP2, A1GP and Champcars.

If F1 removes the technology, then it has just downgraded itself to the level of the above series. Even F3 will have more technological freedom.
Old 6 Jul 2005, 12:58 (Ref:1348735)   #24
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
Was Formula 1 only invented in 1989?
You can't compare the 1989 Formula 1 with the 2005 Formula 1. The standards have changed.
Old 6 Jul 2005, 13:11 (Ref:1348747)   #25
Kicking-back
Veteran

In what way have they changed?

You're just saying that to fit in with your argument.