Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 28 May 2004, 12:57 (Ref:986204)   #1
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Danica Patrick (hopefully) to the IRL IndyCar Series in 2005

Autosport.com reports;

Quote:
Patrick set for IRL drive - Toyota Atlantic star in line to be the next woman to race in the Indy 500

Indy Racing League team boss Bobby Rahal aims to promote Danica Patrick from his Toyota Atlantic squad into Indy Cars in 2005. That should make the 22-year-old the fourth woman ever to race in the Indy 500 – after Janet Guthrie, Lyn St James and Sara Fisher.

Rahal said during the Indy 500 Carburetion Day on Thursday, that he aims to move his 22-year-old star pupil up into the IRL next season.

Patrick spent her early career in the UK and took an impressive second place in the 2000 Formula Ford Festival. She has been with Rahal in Toyota Atlantic since the start of 2003. The 22-year-old finished third in the latest round of the series at Monterrey last weekend.

"I've always been confident that I can drive," said Patrick, who visited the Rahal Letterman Racing garages at the Brickyard on Thursday. "It's not like I'm finally proving that. I‘ve got a great team to learn from between now and then."

Great news - for the IRL IndyCar Series. Not so great news for those who was hoping to see her race in Champ Cars.

I personally haven't seen her race (Toyota Atlantics aren't shown on TV here in Sweden), so I can't really comment on how she might do, but from a marketing stand-point, it's nothing but good news.

Then again, perhaps it should be noted Rahal aims to promote her to the IRL, so it shouldn't be considered a done deal. Just yet.
Old 28 May 2004, 13:05 (Ref:986215)   #2
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Considering how well Rice has been doing, and the fact that Brack should have a drive for as long as he wants it, this could mean that Bobby is hopeful of runnign 3 cars next eyar - unless he already knows osmething as to Kenny's long term intentions.

Having a full-time female racer in the series could be a good thing, and I think she's probably a more promising driver than Sarah Fisher, but I'm inclined to think that Jon Fogarty (who is an Atlantic champion and Rahal driver) would be a better performer.
Old 28 May 2004, 13:09 (Ref:986222)   #3
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Here's more, this time from CBS Sportsline;

Quote:
Notebook: Patrick delighted by Rahal's comments
May 27, 2004
SportsLine.com wire reports

INDIANAPOLIS -- Bobby Rahal's offhand remark caught even Danica Patrick by surprise.

At an Indianapolis 500 news conference Thursday with his IRL team, which includes pole-winner Buddy Rice, Rahal mentioned that he planned to put Patrick on the track here next year.

The 22-year-old Patrick, who drives for Rahal in the developmental Toyota Atlantic series this season, was stunned.

"That is the first time I've heard him say, 'She's ready to be here,"' Patrick said. "I think I'm ready. If you can drive a race car, you can drive any race car. With a little bit of practice and knowledge of some of the characteristics of it, you can drive anything."

Patrick, third in the Monterrey Grand Prix last week, is second in points in the Toyota Atlantic series this season. She also spent three years in the Formula Vauxhall and Formula Ford series in England before returning to the United States to run the Toyota Atlantic series for Rahal two years ago.

"Sponsorship is the key," Rahal said. "She's proved to me she can run up front. If she can run up front in the Atlantic races, she can run up front anywhere."

Patrick, of Roscoe, Ill., would be the fourth woman in the Indy 500, following former drivers Janet Guthrie and Lyn St. James, and current IRL driver Sarah Fisher. The 23-year-old Fisher will be in the 500 for the fifth time Sunday.

Fisher's rookie race in 2000 was the last one for St. James and marked the only time two women have driven in the same race at Indianapolis.

"I'm kind of bubbling from it. I really, honestly haven't heard Bob say, 'You're ready to come here.' So I'm excited," Patrick said. "That's a big confidence boost, too."

Rahal hired Rice to fill in for former Indy and IRL champion Kenny Brack, who is recuperating from serious injuries from a crash in the final race last season. After Rice won the pole, however, Rahal said he would stay even after Brack returns.

Vitor Meira and Roger Yasukawa also drive for Rahal.

I personally hadn't seen it before (the highlighted part about Rice staying), so that was nice to see
Old 28 May 2004, 13:45 (Ref:986262)   #4
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, it would be very interesting to see her competing with Sarah
Old 29 May 2004, 01:02 (Ref:986834)   #5
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
I cant say how she would go either because Ive never seen her race.

But good luck to her sure helps when you have someone like Rahal behind you all the way
Old 29 May 2004, 05:04 (Ref:986888)   #6
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Danica still wants to race champcars and do the 500 as a one off so don't get too excited.
Old 29 May 2004, 10:38 (Ref:987084)   #7
stmookeyj033
Veteran

stmookeyj033 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by rustyfan
Here's more, this time from CBS Sportsline;

I personally hadn't seen it before (the highlighted part about Rice staying), so that was nice to see
I think that Yasukawa was a Short term deal which finished at Indy anyway. So I would have suspected that Rice stays in the 3rd car created by the ex-champcar entry.
Old 29 May 2004, 11:00 (Ref:987102)   #8
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm 100% sure Rice had been confirmed, but once it was knwon that Bobby would be running at least 2 cars for the full season, it was more or less a certainty - tehre's certainly no good reason to drop him.
Old 6 Jun 2004, 21:07 (Ref:995544)   #9
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
While she's certainly merketable and a good driver, there seems to be something unjust about the 5-6th best driver in Atlantics getting a next level ride when other's are perhaps more deserving. That said Fogarty turned down the seat Rice is currently sitting in so he obviously has different priorities.
Old 6 Jun 2004, 21:41 (Ref:995580)   #10
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Snrub
While she's certainly merketable and a good driver, there seems to be something unjust about the 5-6th best driver in Atlantics getting a next level ride when other's are perhaps more deserving. That said Fogarty turned down the seat Rice is currently sitting in so he obviously has different priorities.
And what must Fogarty be thinking now?

IMHO, you just don't turn down an offer from a team like Rahal when it's offered, even if you don't care for the IRL.

Afterall, he's an American, so what are his chances of getting a ride in Champ Cars?

Danica Patrick
Old 7 Jun 2004, 18:33 (Ref:996506)   #11
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm not trying to take a jab with a Fogarty comment, I was trying to be fair with my comment about Danica.

Deviating off topic to address a point:

Last races:
1 Ryan Hunter-Reay US
2 Patrick Carpentier Can
3 Michel Jourdain Jr. Mex
4 Jimmy Vasser US
5 A.J. Allmendinger US

1 Buddy Rice US
2 Tony Kanaan BRA
3 Dan Wheldon 3 UK
4 Bryan Herta 7 US
5 Bruno Junqueira BRA

Points standings:
1 Bruno Junqueira BRA
2 Patrick Carpentier CAN
3 Ryan Hunter-Reay US
4 Sebastien Bourdais FRA
5 Mario Dominguez MEX

1 Dan Wheldon UK
2 Tony Kanaan BRA
3 Buddy Rice US
4 Helio Castroneves BRA
5 Scott Dixon NZ

Both series have a few good American drivers, the difference is that the IRL has more total US drivers, but the rest are not in there for the fight. In all fairness IMO it's ridiculous that Fogarty isn't in CART right now seeing as the OWRS guys effectively selected who was going to be in the field.

Last edited by Snrub; 7 Jun 2004 at 18:37.
Old 7 Jun 2004, 21:54 (Ref:996698)   #12
Team Owner
Racer

Team Owner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Danika should run a few IPS races to get some experience in close racing. I think Thiago Mederios would show her what she's in for when she gets to the ICS. As far as her being ready well, let's just say that Bobby is sponsor hunting IMO

Last edited by Team Owner; 7 Jun 2004 at 21:55.
Old 7 Jun 2004, 22:56 (Ref:996755)   #13
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Snrub
I'm not trying to take a jab with a Fogarty comment, I was trying to be fair with my comment about Danica.

Both series have a few good American drivers, the difference is that the IRL has more total US drivers, but the rest are not in there for the fight. In all fairness IMO it's ridiculous that Fogarty isn't in CART right now seeing as the OWRS guys effectively selected who was going to be in the field.
My Fogarty comment was just in fun Snrub, but I think you know, that I have long felt that the lack of American drivers in CART was one of the biggest reasons for the decline of that series in this country. Having RHR, Vasser, and Almendinger are to little, to late, to make any real impact for the series. Your right about Fogarty though, he should be in that series.

Danica Patrick
Old 8 Jun 2004, 02:53 (Ref:996837)   #14
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Fair enough GP and you're probably right about it contributing to the decline. The IRL has to be carefull too. Horish, Rice and Herta are the only ones in there able to challange and while Danica is good PR where ever she is, she's going to be 8-10th in the IRL or in the now unlikely event she goes to CART.

Last edited by Snrub; 8 Jun 2004 at 02:53.
Old 8 Jun 2004, 04:41 (Ref:996863)   #15
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The reason why you don't see many top formula car drivers from the states is because we lacked a good developmental system at the bottom rungs. Now it's better because we have a number of karting series available that are competitive and there are better options at the formula ford rung available. I believe there is some good talent coming through the ranks now.

In the mid 90's I didn't think much of the options below barber-dodge/saab. That cost $100,000+ at the time and not too many 18 year olds had that stuffed down the back of the couch. The school races and karting were not as good as they are now. It's too easy to buy a clunker and run at the local short tracks and head for nascar someday.
Old 8 Jun 2004, 07:37 (Ref:996949)   #16
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
There are some good US drivers racing in Europe as well, including Scott Speed who has won four European Formula 2000 races (which sees 35+ car fields at each round) and is in a clear 12-point championship lead so far this season.

I expect him to be 'promoted' next year, possibly into the new championship that will replace the European Formula Renault V6 Championship (which is the one Kosuke Matsuura graduated directly into IndyCar from) for next year.
Old 8 Jun 2004, 08:11 (Ref:996982)   #17
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by rustyfan

I expect him to be 'promoted' next year, possibly into the new championship that will replace the European Formula Renault V6 Championship (which is the one Kosuke Matsuura graduated directly into IndyCar from) for next year.
Not a 'new' championship but the 'World Series by Nissan' one renamed.Renault owns Nissan.
Old 8 Jun 2004, 08:36 (Ref:996996)   #18
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally posted by Rob29
Not a 'new' championship but the 'World Series by Nissan' one renamed.Renault owns Nissan.
It will be a new championship as the Nissan World Series and the Formula Renault V6 Championship will be merged into one - the World Series by Renault Championship - for next year, using new machinery. Formula Renault V6 will, however, live on, as a North American Renault V6 Championship is being planned.

Renault will also take over Formula 3000 for 2005 and revamp it (with new chassis from Dallara and new engines from Renault themselves), renaming it to GP2, as well.
Old 18 Jun 2004, 01:45 (Ref:1007497)   #19
statsguy7
Rookie

statsguy7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that as we have seen Argent come over to IRL already this is a sign of things to come, i.e. Danica to IRL. Rahal will run as many cars as he has sponsors for, and perhaps Kenny Brack will NOT be back with Rahal as he may retire after a short-lived comeback late this yr.? He and wife are beginning their family and his absolutely horrific wreck last yr. making him seriously re-think full-time driving, or at least driving IRL.
Old 18 Jun 2004, 07:09 (Ref:1007592)   #20
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally posted by statsguy7
and perhaps Kenny Brack will NOT be back with Rahal as he may retire after a short-lived comeback late this yr.? He and wife are beginning their family and his absolutely horrific wreck last yr. making him seriously re-think full-time driving, or at least driving IRL.
The biggest obstacle, according to Kenny himself, right now is that his body isn't 'race fit' just yet. During the recent test at Richmond they had to call it off after some 160 laps as Kenny started to get tired.

So if Kenny decides to officially retire from IndyCar racing, I'm sure it would be because he feels he can't do himself - and the team - justice, rather than because he's thinking about his family.
Old 21 Jun 2004, 14:49 (Ref:1010831)   #21
rahalteamdad
Rookie

rahalteamdad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It looks like Rahal, (Miera) got sponsorship, and may be racing here the rest of the year.
Old 21 Jun 2004, 15:32 (Ref:1010898)   #22
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think IRL is wrong for Danica and she would look silly. I dont know if she has changed but she was always a VERY aggresive driver and that style does not suit oval racing. Look at Scheckter, he is an agressive driver hes just lucky he has so much talent and eventually calmed down, a bit.

I think if Danica does IRL there will be a lot of crashes
Old 23 Jun 2004, 06:49 (Ref:1012899)   #23
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally posted by Mackmot
I think IRL is wrong for Danica and she would look silly. I dont know if she has changed but she was always a VERY aggresive driver and that style does not suit oval racing. Look at Scheckter, he is an agressive driver hes just lucky he has so much talent and eventually calmed down, a bit.

I think if Danica does IRL there will be a lot of crashes
I would agree somewhat. She is a road racer at heart anyways and she would not be a good PR fit for the IRL.
Old 23 Jun 2004, 08:32 (Ref:1012991)   #24
blue nose
Veteran

blue nose should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Danica could do well if she uses her head but it does look like it is more to attract sponsors.
Old 23 Jun 2004, 14:16 (Ref:1013403)   #25
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If the Series does end up on road courses next year, the 'too aggressive for ovals' argument won't matter so much.