Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 5 Jul 2000, 21:58 (Ref:21708)   #1
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
According to several different sources, including Autosport, Ron Dennis has ordered Mika Hakinnen to take time off before the Austrian GP in order to relax. Dennis described Mika as "Mentally tired".

I think that his level of Burn-out has been obvious for awhile now. Itis bad form to admit weakness, but it seems to me that Mika should have done this ages ago. If his mental state is as dire as it seems, ten days are not even going to make a dent.

The other possibility is that quiet time with his wife may really make him wonder whether he wants to go back to the circus.

Couple this news with Panis' statements that he wants to get back to racing in F1 and Dennis' reply that McLaren will up its offer to the French driver making it very hard for him to move on, and I think we have a recipe for a Coulthard & Panis pairing at McLaren in 2001.

Whatever the solution is, it seems Hakinnen is ambivelent and Panis is Dennis' first choice for the seat should Mika decide to quit.
Old 5 Jul 2000, 22:15 (Ref:21712)   #2
Schume
Racer

Schume should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A few days rest is not going to fix Mika's mental state.

His recent performances are turning him into a "Sunday afternoon driver". Just going through the motions.

It looks unlikely that he will add a third WDC to his collection, so maybe it is time for him to seriously think about retiring. If he quit this year at least he will have retired as WDC.

Maybe he should take his cue from people like Jackie Stewart who quit while he was on top.

F1 is far too dangerous a game to be playing in if you are not really up for it.

Old 6 Jul 2000, 01:22 (Ref:21736)   #3
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As soon as I saw this, I said, "This is a graceful hint by Ron Dennis that it's time Mika thought seriously about what the heck he wants to do." If he wants to quit, he'd better say so and go gracefully, not the way Damon went. I wish he'd go ahead and make up his mind before he ends up going out like a buffoon and not a WDC.

Quit now, Mika, and give yourself a break.
Old 6 Jul 2000, 02:06 (Ref:21745)   #4
Rated R
Rookie

Rated R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Hmm, so why didn't he quit right after the end of 99 if he's so uxorious? Contractual obligations, or maybe he believed (unlikely) that he can make it three in a row? And why did he re-sign again last week? Sure DC's on a mission but that McLaren was smoking on Sunday-last year's Hakkinen would have easily won! Isn't it amazing how important the mental attitude is? Aaah, women, what can I say-Mika, just straighten your priorities. If you want to be with your wife and have kids, be a man, say it clearly and call it quits-everybody will respect your decision-you are the WDC for Christ's sake. Just don't keep lingering-no one would like to see another WDC walking Hill's way-it was heartbraking.

P.S. Thinking about EERO's post, remembered the Senna-Schumacher situation-a star dies, another is born. Who knows, it may be the same (figuratively) with Hakkinen-Panis...
Old 6 Jul 2000, 03:17 (Ref:21753)   #5
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm sure you're all aware of my great regard for Hakinen, (hence the non de Web) but I was a Hill fan as well.
The last thing I want to see is some one I admire linger on long after his passion for the sport is gone.
I am not convinced that Hakinnen WILL leave, nor am i convinced that he will regain the fire.
I think he'd at least see the season through.
We all despaired at Hill's on-again/off-again soap opera last season. Perhaps Mika has made up his mind and wants to spare himself the Media feeding frenzy he witnessed Hill living through. We may not know until Suzuka, but I think he may have made his mind up already.
Old 6 Jul 2000, 16:34 (Ref:21848)   #6
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just a question. Did actually Mika re-signed for McLaren too? All stories, despite their titles "McLaren announces their driver line-up" were about David's contract renewal. Has Mika a multi-year contract?

And I've also found this:"I see no reason why they shouldn't retire at McLaren. The most important thing for a driver is to know when he is losing the pace. If they are quick enough they will be here for the rest of their racing careers if they want to be. Hopefully, that is a long way off because they are still young." (Ron Denis)
Old 6 Jul 2000, 19:55 (Ref:21888)   #7
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
See??? I told you it would be DC and Panis in the McLarens in 2001. YAY!
Old 7 Jul 2000, 00:21 (Ref:21948)   #8
AL Racing
Racer

AL Racing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The funny thing about this news is that he changed his approach to this year enjoying a break from november to somewhere in Februari-Mars!! Panis and DC were doing the testing and old Hakk was in his cabin taking a steam. I thought it was a good move then, because we all saw what some time off did for Schuey. But now Hakkinens re-charged batteries is already out of juice, after half of the season, pretty strange. So my question is, if 4 months resting won't help him more than 8-9 Gp's, what
difference is less that 2 weeks gonna do?

Another intresting thing, Hakkinen that spoken a lot about being mentally drained ( Suzuka for example) and it takes a lot from you to always be expected to win races and WDC's. I wonder what someone like Alesi, Fisichella, Villeneuve to some extent, thinks about that. They are being let down by bad cars, expecting to be winners and champions year after year, doesn't that take more out you, I thinks so. But if it's true and it's more difficult in Hakkinens situation then look at the master, Michael Schumacher, who has been thought as a WDC contender and succeded what that in 6 seasons in a row (not '99 included).

If Hakkinen doesn't improve during the rest of the season he should give the drive who someone who can use it.
Old 7 Jul 2000, 01:00 (Ref:21955)   #9
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
AS I've been mulling this topic over for the last day, i had much the same thought, Anders. If it is that difficult for a driver to maintain concentration and motivation over the course of several seasons, then Schumacher's competitiveness over the past eight years is even more remarkable.
Lets not forget his involuntary break last year which gave him additional time to rest. (Though I recall that many people on this forum were skeptical that TGF would return once he had experiencedhis Swiss Idyll.)
Old 8 Jul 2000, 22:38 (Ref:22189)   #10
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
I note that Keke Rosberg is quoted as saying that Hakinnen should be appointed #1 by McLaren. This strikes me as more than just a little optimistic.