Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 19 Jun 2003, 13:57 (Ref:636640)   #1
G_Ilott
Racer

United Kingdom
Dorset, UK
G_Ilott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Which colour neg and slide?

For nature / landscape I'm using Sensia II 100 and Velvia 50, plus a few rolls of Kodak EBX 100. I've never shot motorsport with slide film before so perhaps you can tell me what brand you use and comment on its flexibility, i.e. low light quality, grain pattern and ability to be pushed.

I intend using all 3 of the above for certain situations when I come back to m/s photography as I understand (at least partially) what they do in different light, but suggestions are warmly welcomed. Sensia 200 is apparently pants, but the 400 has good reviews.... for nature. There's very little out there about m/s shooting.

Also, colour negs. I used to use Kodak 400 Ultra which was a complete mistake but I was none the wiser 3-4 years ago. Fuji Reala and Superia seem to be one of the top colour neg brands but having never had either of these processed properly (i.e. a lab) all I've seen is grain and washed out colours. Would you comment on the neg you use and what lab-processed results are like on both of the above.

Cheery bye.
Old 19 Jun 2003, 19:23 (Ref:636915)   #2
tanalised
Veteran

New Zealand
new zealand
tanalised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've used Sensia 100 and 200 with good results in motorsport, and used Agfa RSX slide film which was also pretty handy, especially since the Agfa sales rep gave it to me for free!
Old 19 Jun 2003, 20:06 (Ref:636940)   #3
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've shot one roll of Fuji Provia 400F and its shoots awesome. Great color saturation and grain especially for the speed. Cannto speak abotu other films.

If I shoot print, then I stick with Fuji Superia 100, 400 and 800 depending on action and light (all C41). I use Kodak Gold 100 C41 (where you can find it) for people photography.
Never forget #99
Old 21 Jun 2003, 17:49 (Ref:638612)   #4
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
fuji make the best film fullstop. in sunlight if you're going to shoot slide film there is only one choice...velvia. you can push it one stop safely.

but if the light isn't there in all honesty you'd be better shooting digital. it'll save you money in the long run.
Old 21 Jun 2003, 22:31 (Ref:638737)   #5
G_Ilott
Racer

United Kingdom
Dorset, UK
G_Ilott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Canon haven't yet made a digital I'd be happy working with, particularly considering the magnification problem. The 10D is great, yes, but I shoot too much wide angle. Until there's a full-frame digital on the market for sensible money (i.e. not £6k for the 1DS), a-film-shooting I will go.

Besides, there's no equivalent of Velvia on digital yet. Photoshop will give an approximation but it's not the same.

I bought a roll of Provia 400F today to try tomorrow at Combe.
Old 22 Jun 2003, 09:12 (Ref:639011)   #6
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
tell me about it...i used a nikon d1 at le mans and the fact a 28mm was looking more like a 35mm was driving me nuts...its annoying having to keep stepping backwards to avoid cutting peoples heads off!

i understand totally what you mean about velvia...i never get tired of looking at the stuff...i edit at least a hundred rolls of the stuff after every grand prix. what i was saying was that if the light isn't there any other film is a compromise....so rather than waste money on provia or neg, you'd be better investing in digital for those darker days. lets face it...we live in england!
Old 22 Jun 2003, 09:13 (Ref:639012)   #7
kdr
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by kdr
tell me about it...i used a nikon d1 at le mans and the fact a 28mm was looking more like a 35mm was driving me nuts...its annoying having to keep stepping backwards to avoid cutting peoples heads off!

i understand totally what you mean about velvia...i never get tired of looking at it...i edit at least a hundred rolls of the stuff after every grand prix. what i was saying was that if the light isn't there any other film is a compromise....so rather than waste money on provia or neg, you'd be better investing in digital for those darker days. lets face it...we live in england!