Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 13 May 2005, 19:48 (Ref:1300308)   #1
Minicross424
Veteran

United Kingdom
Ashford Kent
Minicross424 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why did SCV8 fail?

I think the DTM is the best touring car series in the world so i was over the moon I heard last year about SCV8 but it failed.
With Mr Palmer also trying to launch his own touring series, should'nt he get together with Mr Rouse and create the " MSV Thunder cars " ?
Old 14 May 2005, 17:55 (Ref:1300890)   #2
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
old school! SCv8 diead because there was only ever one car / no drivers / no will from teams / no need for it.

for a big engine big body touring series like that to work then the BTCC must die, which it won't. If you like the idea of that sort of things then I suggest the NHRPA
Old 14 May 2005, 18:51 (Ref:1300925)   #3
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BTCC is trying to die. 12 cars... oh dear. Everyone's going WTCC as the ticket "World" is more appealing to the sponsors etc..

SCV8 was a good idea, along the lines of V8Stars, etc.. but lacked the money behind it to MAKE it happen.
Old 14 May 2005, 19:14 (Ref:1300933)   #4
mike_slh
Rookie

Denmark
Plymouth
mike_slh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When SCV8 was originally announced,it was inevitable that it would be in direct competion with the BTCC.With no big name drivers announced or even teams it was destined to fail, all we can hope for now is for the BTCC to regain its strength and for the DTM to come back.Surely with Paffett and Green as championship front runners and with the F3 euroseries having Brits dominating; we must bring it back!
Old 16 May 2005, 16:16 (Ref:1302316)   #5
Minicross424
Veteran

United Kingdom
Ashford Kent
With Regards to the NHRPA No worries there, ive all ready got my tickets sorted for the spedeweekend!
I just dont think the scv8 was promoted enough.
Old 16 May 2005, 16:56 (Ref:1302339)   #6
peter thurston
Racer

peter thurston should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its all about money,the only reason for scv8 and T1 is about people making it from selling ,building and running them.I would rather see them put up prize money for existing series and make them better, There are plenty of cars out there.Besides just how many people can afford to run a car themselves at that level.
Old 16 May 2005, 19:09 (Ref:1302489)   #7
R59
Veteran

Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd never get it finished in time!
Old 16 May 2005, 20:10 (Ref:1302538)   #8
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
see ya there minicross!
Old 17 May 2005, 19:14 (Ref:1303174)   #9
Minicross424
Veteran

United Kingdom
Ashford Kent
ss_collins who your money on for the world title?
I think Carl Boardly or Phil Sprinks
Old 19 May 2005, 20:34 (Ref:1304875)   #10
Rod Birley
Veteran

England
West Kingsdown (near Brands Hatch)
Rod Birley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't under estimate Ricky Hunn, he now leads the points and went very well at Foxhall a couple of weeks ago. Having said that he will probably go and crash now.
Interestingly when I recently spoke to Andy Rouse, you were there Sam, he said the circuit owners were originally in favour of SCV8 because they could see a decline in BTCC and wanted to find a big car replacement. However, the selected engine probably didn't make the right noise....you can't beat a small block Ford or Chevvy to make the right sound.
Old 19 May 2005, 21:03 (Ref:1304900)   #11
R59
Veteran

Bedfordshire
Then why not revamp the cars to run the Chevy LS6, or the new Ford Mustang units?
Real V8's making real V8 noises!

Rob.
Old 19 May 2005, 21:19 (Ref:1304917)   #12
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't know the British scene that well but if SCV8 is in the same situation as V8STAR then it is simply one series too many. Germany has (had?) two major, expensive touringcar series (DTM and DTC/DPM, the latter now virtually dead); and from what I know, Britain has on major series and a few not-quite-so-major, but less expensive series. Teams can choose where to go. They will choose what they can afford and where they feel they get the most return on their investment. I don't know about SCV8 but certainly V8STAR was not that cheap at all; some teams preferred to get a GT3 Porsche and go GT racing (two customers per car... ). Also, yes don't the V8s sound wonderful, and 20 cars with those V8s all sound wonderfully alike. They look different but they all sound alike. A fair number of fans found this irritating and could not identify with the cars.

A V6 based formula would have been a better choice for Europe anyway.

Finally, the manufacturers didn't help V8STARs progress by objecting to their body styles being used. The cars that weren't BMWs but wanted to look like BMWs but weren't allowed to look like BMWs and so looked like not-quite-BMWs, and the Lexus that noone knew was a Lexus... - confusing.

Strangely, many fans only appreciate now, after the series' demise, how good the cars themselves are - as a few of them now race against Porsche etc. on the Nürburgring.

That Belgian silhouette V6 series (if I could only think of the name right now) avoids that problem by standardising not only the engine but also the silhouette - Ford Mondeo it is. But then you have a concept that actually admits to being a single make series.

My personal opinion is that such a concept has its merits, and could work - but not in crowded motorsport markets such as Germany or Britain, and not with a high price tag.