Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 7 Jul 2005, 14:42 (Ref:1349627)   #1
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
josvandeperre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
FIA / AMD Survey - the state of F1 according to fans

The Fia AMd report is out - 93000 replies - basically everyone hates the modern tracks & wants more overtaking

http://f1.racing-live.com/en/index.h...07162216.shtml
Old 7 Jul 2005, 15:18 (Ref:1349660)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The results are a ringing endorsement of Max's proposals for 2008.
Old 7 Jul 2005, 23:13 (Ref:1349987)   #3
richard_sykes
Racer

Wales
Wales, Uk
richard_sykes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not sure what to make of them.

Did Max just make those results up to support his 2008 blueprints.
Old 8 Jul 2005, 00:37 (Ref:1350027)   #4
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
The results are a ringing endorsement of Max's proposals for 2008.
Question is K-b,are the regs that the "gang of nine" putting together,anything like Max's proposals.If not 2008,could be a one-horse (black)-show.

I suspect that the sticking point will more to do with money,rather than the regs.

I've got to admit that i'm looking forward to 90% less downforce.
Old 8 Jul 2005, 08:26 (Ref:1350165)   #5
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
josvandeperre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am suprised at the lack of interest shown in this thread by posters here - perhaps they are all already at Silverstone - or maybe they don't really care about the future of F1
Old 8 Jul 2005, 11:04 (Ref:1350249)   #6
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I noted about this that fans want more overtaking on track and more teams in the future. Shame that they didn't consider the option for all teams to use a third car (Can you imagine the magnitude of publicity for a team if their three drivers coped a complete podium?).
Old 8 Jul 2005, 11:43 (Ref:1350266)   #7
Menelaos
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Menelaos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, the results were not surprising at all. The only thing that did surprise me was that only a small percentage was in favor of more than 20 GPs. I expected that everyone would want as many GPs as possible. The rest were just as expected: more overtaking on track, regulations to ensure that a good driver with an inferior car can do better than a worse driver with a slightly superior car etc. Hopefully the guys at the FIA will eventually understand what needs to be done - and do it!
Old 8 Jul 2005, 11:44 (Ref:1350267)   #8
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekola
Shame that they didn't consider the option for all teams to use a third car (Can you imagine the magnitude of publicity for a team if their three drivers coped a complete podium?).
It may be possible for Ferrari to do just that.

We shall have to see what happens in the coming weeks.Will we get a breakaway series or will the FIA hold everything together.Stay tuned for another thrilling installment.
Old 8 Jul 2005, 11:46 (Ref:1350269)   #9
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
I note that the question as to whether fans wanted standardized parts was not asked.
Old 8 Jul 2005, 11:47 (Ref:1350272)   #10
Menelaos
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Wasn't it? I thought it was, but I don't remember for sure...
Old 8 Jul 2005, 13:23 (Ref:1350314)   #11
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
It wasn't asked quite as bluntly as that, but questions like

"do you think that technology in F1 has removed skills from the driver"
0-Agree
0-Don't agree

Etc.
Old 8 Jul 2005, 13:40 (Ref:1350320)   #12
Menelaos
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
I thought they asked if we would "like some of the following", and the answers included "standard brakes, standard gearbox, standard tyres" etc
Old 8 Jul 2005, 17:14 (Ref:1350413)   #13
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
What bothers me most is the attitude that F1 is all about technology. That was great in the 50's and 60's, but there must be a threshold. IMO, we reached that as far back as the early 80's and now we are in a mess where drivers are not nearly as important as they should be. Max's proposed rules are a step in the right direction but to be honest I think F1 needs to look back, and go back, when it comes to technology. No electronic driving aids, much less aero, slick tyres are a just few of the many things that F1 should return to. Champ Car racing has the right idea as far as I am concerned. I'd love to see the F1 drivers go at it in those babies. And EVERY track should be scrutinized; there needs to be more than one overtaking zone in a modern day circuit. I get sick when I hear those famous words from commentators, to the effect..."qualifying is very important because overtaking is next to impossible on this track".... Sheeesh, what else is new. They say that at most every GP weekend.
Old 8 Jul 2005, 18:03 (Ref:1350441)   #14
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
But Kirk, as has been discussed at length in other threads, and as you yourself just said, there are other open wheel series with those features. Personally, I think F1 should have a very strong technical side.
Old 8 Jul 2005, 18:31 (Ref:1350459)   #15
Menelaos
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
agreed, but not nearly as technical as now )
Old 8 Jul 2005, 19:49 (Ref:1350546)   #16
Toth
Racer

Toth should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Standardising parts is not the correct way to reduce the influence of technology, in F1.
The reduction of downforce to 10% of current levels is more like it. After 2008 the teams are free to invest all they want in earodynamics, but the gain will be small. So they won't and "aerodynamics technology" is reduced.

For me F1 is not neccesarily about technology, or driver skill, or strategy. It's about maximum freedom. Rules are just for safety. No limits to competition. At all.

In my opinion this is the principle of F1. If you bring in too many standardised parts it's no longer F1, no matter how nice the tv-show is or how many people say they like it.

Apart from the standard parts the proposed rules are alright. How wide the cars or how big the tires are is of secondary importance.
Old 8 Jul 2005, 23:28 (Ref:1350672)   #17
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by josvandeperre
I am suprised at the lack of interest shown in this thread by posters here - perhaps they are all already at Silverstone - or maybe they don't really care about the future of F1
Or perhaps they realise that they don't actually have much of a say in the matter.
Old 9 Jul 2005, 04:33 (Ref:1350780)   #18
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Well, as I recall there were questions asked about standardised parts.... but the problem (or benefit, depending on who you are) with the survery was it had quite ingeniously phrased questions and answers.

The real issues were never able to be properly addressed, plus it wasn't possible to maintain a particularly coherent approach. As well as leaving it (on some occasions) so you could only really give one answer, fitting their want regardless of what you answered - that is, things could be interpreted by them however they want.

I did my best to get the ideas across that I love the technical aspects of F1, overtaking is nice but not essential, there should be more races and better tracks.

Uh-oh, practice sessions getting shown on the TV started two minutes ago. I will continue this in a while.
Old 9 Jul 2005, 09:13 (Ref:1350890)   #19
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Well, what about introducing "windows" for new parts to be introduced?

So say the gearbox has to be a fixed specification until the 6th race, same with the rear wing.
Or you could just make a rule that says from the first race onwards you can't make any changes to the car, until the mid point of the season...?
Old 9 Jul 2005, 09:29 (Ref:1350908)   #20
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm interested to see what the television-type results were...funnily enough ITV-F1 didn't mention what people thought about the commentary.