Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 20 Jun 2005, 15:43 (Ref:1334688)   #1
LampCord
Racer

LampCord should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Trulli's light fuel load

Don't know if anyone caught this comment. One of the options the teams were kicking around was to set up a chicane and then run 3 practice laps so everyone could get used to it.

But Toyota then admitted that Trulli didn't have enough fuel in his car to run 3 laps! Talk about doing anything to take pole! That would have made for a hilarious start to the race had they run, Trulli coming in on lap 2...
Old 20 Jun 2005, 15:51 (Ref:1334705)   #2
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
If he had less than 3 laps fuel he would have taken pole by a much quicker time.
Old 20 Jun 2005, 17:07 (Ref:1334811)   #3
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think we can assume they were joking - either that or they were dismally off the pace (the resutls from the other car were inconclusive). and had already given up the weekend as a dead loss.
Old 20 Jun 2005, 17:11 (Ref:1334817)   #4
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think there might be some leg pulling going on, we know Toyota are about the third or forth fastest car on the grid in Trulli's hands so if he only had three laps of fuel he'd have outqualified Kimi by at least a second or more.
Old 20 Jun 2005, 17:14 (Ref:1334824)   #5
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Er... i dont think so....
they were probably light but not by so much for sure!
Old 20 Jun 2005, 17:45 (Ref:1334868)   #6
Menelaos
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Menelaos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Still, I can't believe Trulli would have reached lap 10 without a refuel. Anyway, the msot annoying part of this whole fiasco is that we'll never know all these things!!!
Old 20 Jun 2005, 23:59 (Ref:1335313)   #7
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
One theory doing the rounds was that Michelin (and their teams) were aware of the impending chaos and Toyota deliberately fueled Trulli's car ridiculously light in an attempt to grab the glory while they could.
Old 21 Jun 2005, 00:20 (Ref:1335324)   #8
Dixie Flatline
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Dixie Flatline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was mentioned in the ITV telecast, IIRC, but don't think it has too much credibility, as Kimi was only 0.069 seconds slower than Jarno.

If a compromise had been found and the Michelin-shod teams raced, I don't think Toyota would have wanted to have pitted at the end of the first lap. I think that the Toyota of Trulli had had a fair amount of fuel in it when Trulli qualified it.
Old 21 Jun 2005, 01:17 (Ref:1335356)   #9
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was also mentioned by Derek Daly during his pre-race gridwalk, that Toyota had fueled Jarno light to gain an important pole position in the American market. He did not mention how much fuel, or when he thought they would have to pit, which is not surprising, I wouldn't expect him to know the actual numbers.
Old 21 Jun 2005, 02:26 (Ref:1335390)   #10
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Toyota are trying to position themselves to win races these days not chase the headlines on Saturday afternoon.

It's not totally out of the question that he might have been there with a decent fuel load.
Old 21 Jun 2005, 12:59 (Ref:1335817)   #11
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The idea that they knew they would probably not be racing, and went for pole as a result, is posisble, but 10 laps seems like a much better fuel estimate than 3 laps. Iwonder waht the plan was - probably to destroy the engine and get a enw one for France, plus a claim of "first failure ever happens while we lead" bad luck.
Old 21 Jun 2005, 19:13 (Ref:1336328)   #12
baclightning
Racer

United States
Kirkland, WA, USA
baclightning should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is Toyota we're talking about - never underestimate the fact that Honda had the pole the week before. I think Toyota would have done whatever was needed to keep up with Honda...
Old 22 Jun 2005, 03:02 (Ref:1336705)   #13
Tf105
Rookie

Barbados
Tf105 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it would be stupid just trying to outdo Honda dont you think... this is F1.. they not competing for the family sedan market
Old 22 Jun 2005, 05:44 (Ref:1336775)   #14
alfasud
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
alfasud should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by N I Tram
The idea that they knew they would probably not be racing, and went for pole as a result, is posisble, but 10 laps seems like a much better fuel estimate than 3 laps. Iwonder waht the plan was - probably to destroy the engine and get a enw one for France, plus a claim of "first failure ever happens while we lead" bad luck.
There are a number of scenarios...
1. They knew they would not be racing on Sunday, so went for the glory of pole position.
2. They thought they might be pitting for tyres (or at least to inspect them) after only a few race laps so weren't expecting to stay out.
3. They thought that the Michelin teams might somehow start the race but then agree to retire and wanted to cover the posibilty that these race laps might count to some sort of classification that would score points or at least count toward starting position for the French GP qualifying.
4. They thought there might be a course change (chicane) and that teams would be allowed to practice the new course and make changes... including adding fuel.

I'm sure people can come up with plenty of other explanations.