Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 Aug 2004, 09:21 (Ref:1063699)   #1
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Gentlemanly behaviour?

Since the other threads have gotten rather long, and this is just one specific point, I thought a discussion about gentlemanly behaviour might be interesting:

Now that it emerges that Dave Richards' position in all this is very far from whiter-than-white we can see Jenson Button's moves in a totally new light... Jenson hadn't (apparently) been paid rather a lot of bonus money, and BAR have attempted to back-track on their contract commitments to him. So how does Dave Richards think it is ok to ignore major facets of a contract yet publicly berate his driver for attempting to exploit contract loopholes? Not only that, but Richards has recruited other team bosses and Bernie to his cause, leading to Bernie labelling Jenson "not much of a gentleman" for following this course of action. Jenson was the one that simply kept quiet about things which shouldn't be aired in public - and he has taken the flack for it.

Maybe it's just a case of "All's fair in love and war" (and F1 is loaded with both). Which only means that nothing in this sport shoud be taken at face value and we would all do well to not jump to conclusions about the character of individuals.
Old 12 Aug 2004, 09:31 (Ref:1063705)   #2
spider
Veteran

England
London
spider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridspider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Glen, very well put. I'm sure Jenson has been advised to keep quiet, take the flak, and wait for the truth to come out. If this is the case - that JB's contract has not been honoured from BAR, then can you blame him for wanting to jump ship?! It's similar to a sales guy not receiving any commission - would you stay or would you go to a company you've worked for previously, a market leader, who you know will at least pay you what they say they will...

If this is true, then who could blame Jenson for wanting to leave?!
Old 12 Aug 2004, 09:47 (Ref:1063716)   #3
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
Mike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
we just need to wait for the facts .... but i dont blame him at all for jumping ship not in the slightest.
Old 12 Aug 2004, 10:07 (Ref:1063730)   #4
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
http://www.f1racing.net/en/news.php?newsID=59584

BAR have now paid Button's bonus it seems.

BAR's David Richards has now paid Jenson Button more than $3 million in previously withheld points bonus payments, a source has leaked to the media. The source confirmed publications' suspicions that the driver's relationship with BAR soured when Richards repeatedly refused to honour the commitment.

In terms of the contract position, when it all washes out it may well be that Honda's alleged desire to leave the door ajar should the new F1 format/engine rules not suit them - will be the very clause that Button's lawyers have used to untie him from BAR's contract.

Should that be the case, it will be an example of 'being shot by your own gun' as it were.
Old 12 Aug 2004, 10:22 (Ref:1063737)   #5
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Considering all DR's bluster and public running-down of Jenson don't you think it would be the decent thing for him to publicly explain these missing payments? He can't possibly try and occupy the higher moral ground whilst secretly renaging on agreements as it suits him.

I don't see how Jenson could ever trust him again, and I think any other driver that might be looking for a job with BAR would be wise to learn from this debacle.
Old 12 Aug 2004, 10:31 (Ref:1063745)   #6
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Those who criticised Jenson for apparently not saying very much on the whole matter of moving teams may now realise he was doing the right thing to choose his words carefully!
Old 12 Aug 2004, 10:41 (Ref:1063760)   #7
hgmonaro
Racer

hgmonaro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
will be an interesting chapter in JBs autobiography in years to come!
Old 12 Aug 2004, 10:46 (Ref:1063765)   #8
Testure
Veteran

Testure should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't see any reason why I should choose to believe that BAR were refusing to pay Button his bonus any more than I should believe that Button is behaving in an ungentlemany way. People are biased and are believing what they want to in this little saga.
Old 12 Aug 2004, 10:50 (Ref:1063770)   #9
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
People will always believe what they want to, that's human nature.
Old 12 Aug 2004, 10:51 (Ref:1063771)   #10
spider
Veteran

England
London
spider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridspider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lets just see what Jenson says in the closed season, and as hgmonaro says - all should be revealed in his autobiography one day!
Old 12 Aug 2004, 10:52 (Ref:1063772)   #11
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One thing that does seem obvious is that DR likes to play his cards in the media (not unlike what he did with JV); Button has been smart and not stooped this level.
It would seem DR is a good manager but lacking in people skills.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 12 Aug 2004, 10:58 (Ref:1063777)   #12
Glen
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Testure
I don't see any reason why I should choose to believe that BAR were refusing to pay Button his bonus any more than I should believe that Button is behaving in an ungentlemany way. People are biased and are believing what they want to in this little saga.
Ah - but I don't believe that you mean that! One doesn't choose to believe - on the balance of evidence something either rings true or it doesn't.
Old 12 Aug 2004, 11:28 (Ref:1063793)   #13
jj2728
Veteran

jj2728 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by enemy-ace
One thing that does seem obvious is that DR likes to play his cards in the media (not unlike what he did with JV); Button has been smart and not stooped this level.
It would seem DR is a good manager but lacking in people skills.
very true. seems this tactic was used to throw people off the "money trail" so to speak and in keeping with the thread topic not gentlemanly at all. but then again, the days of gentlemen in f1 are long gone i'm afraid.
Old 12 Aug 2004, 13:40 (Ref:1063904)   #14
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by jj2728
but then again, the days of gentlemen in f1 are long gone i'm afraid.
I'm not sure F1 was ever populated solely by gentlemen. In addition I think that it only reflects the rest of the world.
Old 12 Aug 2004, 14:05 (Ref:1063935)   #15
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyways, It seems to me that both copntenders sort of lyed.
DR casually forgetting to declare his unpaid dues towards JB, and Jenson by telling the world his choice was not for money, like it just appears to be, ultimately.
Old 12 Aug 2004, 14:24 (Ref:1063948)   #16
Glen
Veteran

Not sure that it is accurate to say that his choice was because of money - it seems more like due to an incident involving money Jenson doesn't feel that he can work with and trust BAR. It would have been more accurate for him to say that he wasn't moving for a higher salary.
Old 12 Aug 2004, 14:35 (Ref:1063960)   #17
Fuzzyfelt
Racer

Fuzzyfelt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It seems ironic that Button is being accused of being ungentlemanly by the head of a sport which lost all pretence of moral scruples long ago.
I don't see how Button can be faulted for his actions. His silence says more about his personality than all of the mud that's been slung at him.
Some one mentioned in another thread that DR will turn his 'photo face grin' on or off depending on the proximity of a camera. This kind of two faced behaviour is certainly not indicative of a gentleman.
As Adam said, it reflects the rest of the world, but that doesn't excuse it or stop it from being really sad.
Old 12 Aug 2004, 15:23 (Ref:1063988)   #18
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
Mike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Fuzzyfelt
It seems ironic that Button is being accused of being ungentlemanly by the head of a sport which lost all pretence of moral scruples long ago.
I don't see how Button can be faulted for his actions. His silence says more about his personality than all of the mud that's been slung at him.
Some one mentioned in another thread that DR will turn his 'photo face grin' on or off depending on the proximity of a camera. This kind of two faced behaviour is certainly not indicative of a gentleman.
As Adam said, it reflects the rest of the world, but that doesn't excuse it or stop it from being really sad.
sums it up really
Old 12 Aug 2004, 17:05 (Ref:1064104)   #19
Led ZeppF1
Veteran

Indonesia
Jakarta, Indonesia
Led ZeppF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, Button is fight back. He expressed regret that his decision to leave BAR for Williams next season should have led to such acrimony, but blamed BAR boss David Richards for taking their disagreement public.

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/formulaone/12454/
Old 12 Aug 2004, 17:06 (Ref:1064107)   #20
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
All I can see is a pretty much ideal situation. Those who hate DR have enough to re-inforce their opinion and those who hate JB can feel that they are the wise ones too.
Old 12 Aug 2004, 18:26 (Ref:1064179)   #21
Led ZeppF1
Veteran

Indonesia
Jakarta, Indonesia
Led ZeppF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Adam, you got it.
Old 12 Aug 2004, 20:29 (Ref:1064303)   #22
Jaxs
Racer

Jaxs has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Oh come on the guy has to say something what better than to blame the other person. and can you guess who told him to say that.

Still no other contract lodged? williams talking but not producing?

JB could have sorted out his differences and then walked .. if he's not doing it for the money why is the money from BAR so important?

Last edited by Jaxs; 12 Aug 2004 at 20:30.
Old 12 Aug 2004, 20:36 (Ref:1064315)   #23
Kicking-back
Veteran

The money from BAR is so important because he signed a contract saying he'd be payed it.

How happy would you be if your employer didn't pay what had been agreed.
Old 13 Aug 2004, 02:35 (Ref:1064569)   #24
grumpy1
Veteran

grumpy1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As I said in another tread this whole thing blew up in the media due to an un-named source from BAR.
The credibilty of David Richards is shot to bits due to his public berating of JB and Williams while with holding the truth from the media.Very self serving and un gentlemanly indeed.
Mr Button on the other hand has showed remarkable restraint over the whole affair.To see how well see
www.formula1.com and read the transcript of the BUtton Webber press conference.

The Grumpy1
Old 13 Aug 2004, 02:57 (Ref:1064572)   #25
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by AdamAshmore
All I can see is a pretty much ideal situation. Those who hate DR have enough to re-inforce their opinion and those who hate JB can feel that they are the wise ones too.
Lets not forget, Its Ferrari's cheating that led to this (dont have a connection, but I'm sure one of the monkies can make it stick)