Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 2 Apr 2002, 23:41 (Ref:250450)   #1
n2fires
Rookie

n2fires should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Michael's Psychological Edge?

How much of Michaels advantage comes from his mindset?
Most people would acknowlege that M.S. has great car control, possibly the best on the grid, but mentally is where I think he really shines.
Last year JPM came out to show the world that he was not in awe of Schumi, made some passes and had everyone saying he was the next great thing. Michael let it all slide, kept focused on the task at hand and annhilatd the field. A lot of it was his bullet proof car but mentally he did not make stupid mistakes or take unnecessary chances when winnable points were available.
JPM on the other hand pressed too hard (my opinion) over drove his car and, had some bad luck (Verstappen comes to mind)
If another car is faster than his, Michael will make getting past difficult, but tends not to overstep the car's limits. JPM's "obsession" with Schumi is clouding his judgement on the track, leading to mistakes that have cost him points. If he were a more patient man, I feel that he would be leading the WDC.
I think that when JPM realizes that the race can very easily be lost at the first corner but never won there (well, maybe in Monaco) we will be in for some great racing.

Before all the Schumi haters start bashing me (I am a M.S. fan), Let me say that I supported JPM when he raced in the States and have maintained among my racing friends that he is the Real Deal. I thought so when Williams sent him to the U.S. and still thinks so now. He just has not acquired the proper mindset for F-1 yet. I hope it doesn't take him too much longer.
Old 3 Apr 2002, 00:53 (Ref:250483)   #2
Mania
Veteran

Mania should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Schumachers mental strength, confidence, and experience is a deadly combination. No doubt, his mental strength has contributed to his success and has also destroyed his rivals in the past.

Ive been saying all along that Michael Schumacher's mind games are having an effect yet again. Last season, he destroyed DC mentally before mid season. DC spent all his time trying to talk up his chances and react to each and every comment by Schumacher rather than concentrating on his own job. Similarly, this season Montoya has started falling prey to Schumachers mind games. Montoyas spending most of his time trying to talk himself up as Schumacher's main contender and respond to what Schumacher said or did. Only problem for Montoya is that he isent good enough to play mind games with Schumacher and get away with it. Plus, he's got a team mate in Ralf who is now the main contender in the championship standings and if he continues to try and play with Schumachers head instead of concentrating on his job, then his challenge will end by mid season just like DC and he'll be playing number 2 officially to Ralf

The only person in F1 who has in the past - and can in the future - play and win mind games with Schumacher is Jacques Villeneuve. Give him a car and see what he can do.
Old 3 Apr 2002, 02:20 (Ref:250508)   #3
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Jukebox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Michael's Psychological Edge?

I agree with what you have to say n2fires. JPM aka the idiot simply have a lot to learn. He has to learn to be more cool as the WDC cannot be won in just a race, every point counts. I like the way Ralf drives...if he sees that is not worth it to take the risk, he won't.
Old 3 Apr 2002, 09:55 (Ref:250707)   #4
DavidStHubbins
Veteran

United Kingdom
DavidStHubbins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hakkinen didnt let MS get to him! He was so laid back it all flew over his head plus he didnt give a ****!
Old 3 Apr 2002, 10:33 (Ref:250746)   #5
Gunslinger
Racer

Gunslinger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Right you are David. Hakky was so cool he even drives his wife around in a Mac on the snow!! Not sure if he'll come back but.
Old 3 Apr 2002, 13:10 (Ref:250886)   #6
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
David, I think you and gunslinger have proved n2fires point. Mika did'nt fall for the mind games, and has 2 WDC to prove it.

If Monty gets his head back to business, and forgets about beating Michael specifically, he will be a real force.

But until then, he'll get more gravel trap experience.
Old 3 Apr 2002, 17:12 (Ref:250996)   #7
expert
Racer

expert should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't believe what I'm reading here: "I like the way ralf drives..." aka just waiting until the one if front of you retires and take his win and points... what a loser's attitude!!! and what if the one in front does not make a mistake: finishing second then and taking 6 points... pfffff. the late villeneuve and senna turn themselves in their graves, hearing something like this! I think JPM's great, really great, and I hope he'll try on wiping both schumi's out, I really do!!!
Old 4 Apr 2002, 04:57 (Ref:251509)   #8
Dr. Austin
Veteran

Dr. Austin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by expert

"the late villeneuve and senna turn themselves in their graves, hearing something like this!"

Their uncompromising attitudes might be what got them in those graves to start with.
Old 4 Apr 2002, 05:04 (Ref:251510)   #9
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Quote:
Originally posted by expert
I can't believe what I'm reading here: "I like the way ralf drives..." aka just waiting until the one if front of you retires and take his win and points... what a loser's attitude!!! and what if the one in front does not make a mistake: finishing second then and taking 6 points...
It was reported after the race that the wing settings on Ralf's car was a bit wrong and this was comfirmed by Patrick Head.
Old 4 Apr 2002, 08:54 (Ref:251632)   #10
calais
Veteran

calais should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i seem to think MS is the one who has succumbed to JPM's mind games.
lets not forget MS uses his dirty tactics most when he feels threatened, which is what he is feeling right now
Old 4 Apr 2002, 09:23 (Ref:251646)   #11
f1grandprixshop
Veteran

f1grandprixshop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
watchout in the coming GP's, JPM have hinted about using 'dirty tactics' too... this rookie can really talk!

7650-wallpaper Yahoo! Groups - F1 Wallpapers for your Nokia phones
Old 4 Apr 2002, 17:40 (Ref:251902)   #12
expert
Racer

expert should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
"It was reported after the race that the wing settings on Ralf's car was a bit wrong and this was comfirmed by Patrick Head."

Excuses, excuses...

Quote:
"Their uncompromising attitudes might be what got them in those graves to start with"

F**K you, their attitudes is what made them great, everybody knows how senna died: through no fault of Him.

but go ahead supporting your loser drivers if you feel like it, who cares? but don't start messing with the all time greats, you s*n *f a b*tch!
Old 4 Apr 2002, 17:40 (Ref:251904)   #13
Splatz the Cow
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Splatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSplatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey, c'mon Jukebox, what's going on?

Now, come on Jukebox, play another song,cause this one doesn't ring true! You know that no Williams member has said so far that ralf had the wrong wing settings. Patrick Head merely raised it in the interview to give the impression that their car is actually "12seconds" (hyperbole) a lap faster than the Ferrari. If yo were smart you would know that Head is trying to deflect criticism of Ralf and the Williams car, to incorrect wing settings.

Unfortunately you took this to be another oppurtunity to stick it to Juan, and call him an idiot, but I can feel safe in the knowledge that he is much more intelligent, mature, and talented than you have shown yourself to be in these persistantly shallow commments of yours.

I don't want to change your opinion about Juan Pablo Montoya, just the way you communicate it. Lets focus on Juan's choice of timing for the pass, position, and impatiance at Brazil, instead of a one word put down. (We've heard it already in other posts.)

You can do better than this surely.
Old 4 Apr 2002, 22:07 (Ref:252235)   #14
Mania
Veteran

Mania should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Patrick Head did come out and say the wing settings were wrong and they couldnt get to grips with the Ferrari on the straight. They were instead quite quick in the middle sector - which certainly proves Patrick's theory that they compromised their straight line speed in order to be quick in the middle sector.

And for that matter, Patrick was only responding to a question. The only people who are criticising Ralf are the desperate and die-hard Montoya fans who cant appreciate a good drive unless it comes from their driver. It doesent really matter in the end. The Championship standings are what matter and Ralf Schumacher is 2nd with a 1st and 2nd place finish in the 2 races he has completed. There is no need for Patrick or anyone at Williams to defend him - and they arent doing so. Rather they are simply pointing out facts. Just like Patrick rubbished Montoyas whining about the Brazil accident being Schumachers fault. Again, Patrick was simply stating facts.
Old 4 Apr 2002, 23:02 (Ref:252269)   #15
Alan Jones
Veteran

Alan Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is true Mania, and last year when Ralf was having a tough 2nd half of the season, and making stupid comments, Patrick also spoke his mind. This is what Team Willy are all about, and it works. They don't employ their drivers to strike up a friendship, but to perform.Juan did something stupid, and Pat calls it that. Ralfie makes stupid comments about engines etc and again Patrick sets the record straight.
Old 4 Apr 2002, 23:10 (Ref:252275)   #16
BBKing
Veteran

BBKing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is easy for Schumacher to think he has the edge since FIA will let him get away with crime does not matter what he does to the others.
Old 5 Apr 2002, 00:25 (Ref:252305)   #17
Dr. Austin
Veteran

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by expert

"F**K you,"

Aren't you a classy one!

"you s*n *f a b*tch!"

yes, pure class!
Old 5 Apr 2002, 00:35 (Ref:252309)   #18
Dr. Austin
Veteran

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by expert ..

"F**K you,"

Cocka doodle doo!

"their attitudes is what made them great, everybody knows how senna died: through no fault of Him."

That was never proven. No one knows when the shaft broke. The accident was exhaustively researched and tried in an Italian court of law. Everyone on the team was absolved. The courts tried, but could not prove mechanical failure. Even Ardian Newey says the steering shaft broke on impact. Is he saying Senna drove into the wall all by himself? Sure sounds like it.

Gilles Villeneuve was killed running into the back of someone who was trying to get out of his way. He killed himself trying not to have his best lap ruined. I would say that is uncompromising.

" you s*n *f a b*tch!"

Thanks for the impersonal, fact filled debate. But, how are you going to top your last brilliant post?
Old 5 Apr 2002, 01:27 (Ref:252333)   #19
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Re: Hey, c'mon Jukebox, what's going on?

Quote:
Originally posted by Splatz the Cow
Now, come on Jukebox, play another song,cause this one doesn't ring true! You know that no Williams member has said so far that ralf had the wrong wing settings. Patrick Head merely raised it in the interview to give the impression that their car is actually "12seconds" (hyperbole) a lap faster than the Ferrari. If yo were smart you would know that Head is trying to deflect criticism of Ralf and the Williams car, to incorrect wing settings.

Unfortunately you took this to be another oppurtunity to stick it to Juan, and call him an idiot, but I can feel safe in the knowledge that he is much more intelligent, mature, and talented than you have shown yourself to be in these persistantly shallow commments of yours.

I don't want to change your opinion about Juan Pablo Montoya, just the way you communicate it. Lets focus on Juan's choice of timing for the pass, position, and impatiance at Brazil, instead of a one word put down. (We've heard it already in other posts.)

You can do better than this surely.
I'm still standing tall and as sane as ever...not that i'm in lalaa land. Like what i've explained to DNQ in another thread that i've never called JPM any names, but just recently because of his idiotic way of driving and not admitting his own craft and fault except for blaming others over his own follies that earned him the idiot nick. He's more & more becoming like the Irvine aka the motormouth if keeps on blabbering like a stray bullet.

All the other members too have the same view about what Patrick Head said. And clarified about the compromise on the car setup that Williams had taken. They made a gamble and they were wrong.

I admit that i'm a big fan of TGF but i'm not the type would go over to the extend of downgrading other drivers without any concrete base to begin with.

JPM should follow Ralf's example of being more patience and only try to overtake when there are real chances, not by taking unnecessary risks. A mature and the one that uses his head is the driver that definitely impresses me not a driver who follows his emotions.

Last edited by Jukebox; 5 Apr 2002 at 01:30.
Old 5 Apr 2002, 02:04 (Ref:252351)   #20
BBKing
Veteran

BBKing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Follow Ralf's example? You are a Schumacher fan, aren't you Jokebox?
Old 5 Apr 2002, 02:09 (Ref:252358)   #21
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Quote:
Originally posted by BBKing
Follow Ralf's example? You are a Schumacher fan, aren't you Jokebox?
I am a Ferrari and TGF fan not any other of the Scumacher's clan and it's Jukebox mind you
Old 5 Apr 2002, 02:26 (Ref:252370)   #22
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Going back to what the thread is about, TGFs psychological edge comes from two simple things:

1. Being at the top for so long - since 1994 he's basically dominated the sport like a colossus

2. Having Ferrari moulded to his every success. He and Todt have built the team into a grand prix winning machine
Old 5 Apr 2002, 08:16 (Ref:252497)   #23
Gunslinger
Racer

Gunslinger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here here f1manoz. Exactly. And how many years did us (don't know if you are or not) Ferrari fans have to wait for it to happen? And now...well it's just bloody mavelous. I love it. I know it won't last forever, infact that would be stink, but i'm gonna love every moment of this domination until the end.

To all you Ferrari/MS knockers, i love you all, make's it even more marvelous. Bring it on.
Old 5 Apr 2002, 08:33 (Ref:252513)   #24
calais
Veteran

calais should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by expert
Quote:
"It was reported after the race that the wing settings on Ralf's car was a bit wrong and this was comfirmed by Patrick Head."

Excuses, excuses...

Quote:
"Their uncompromising attitudes might be what got them in those graves to start with"

F**K you, their attitudes is what made them great, everybody knows how senna died: through no fault of Him.

but go ahead supporting your loser drivers if you feel like it, who cares? but don't start messing with the all time greats, you s*n *f a b*tch!
maybe austin's quote was a little strong,expert, but by the look of your response you are treating senna an GV as some sort of gods{hence your capital H in the word Him], which is a little immature,as is your post.
i dont want to get into how or why they died, but they were human beings, and are open to costructive critisism, whether you like it or not.
Old 5 Apr 2002, 08:37 (Ref:252518)   #25
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Gunslinger
Here here f1manoz. Exactly. And how many years did us (don't know if you are or not) Ferrari fans have to wait for it to happen?
I'm not, but I have knack for noticing these sort of things