Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 18 Nov 2003, 14:17 (Ref:787145)   #1
TedN
Racer

Canada
Georgetown, ON, Canada
TedN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTedN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Canadian GP Saved?

News from AutoRacing1.com ....

According to Le Journal de Montreal this morning, the Canadian GP is ON. Labatt matched Molson's offer (as a main sponsor) and Ecclestone agreed to a $30M compensation, once, this year only and won't bother the Canadian GP about tobacco laws again. Ecclestone will dig in his own pocket to some extent and both Canadian and Québécois governments will chip in as sponsors ($7M-$12M).

Ted
Old 18 Nov 2003, 14:18 (Ref:787147)   #2
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That's nice to hear. (if it's true)
Old 18 Nov 2003, 14:31 (Ref:787162)   #3
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Let's hope, once and for all!
Old 18 Nov 2003, 15:01 (Ref:787182)   #4
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hopefully sanity's prevailed & it will take it's rightful place on the calendar.
Old 18 Nov 2003, 16:00 (Ref:787230)   #5
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
yeah Canada for next year!!
Old 18 Nov 2003, 18:41 (Ref:787453)   #6
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Under terms of the agreement, the 10 F1 teams currently sponsored by tobacco companies will receive approximately $2-million each to race unbranded cars. According to the newspaper, Legault is responsible for half the $20-million figure while Quebec and Ottawa are picking up the rest of the tab.
http://www.tsn.ca/auto_racing/news_story.asp?id=60950
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 18 Nov 2003, 19:57 (Ref:787530)   #7
speedbump
Racer

Canada
Toronto
speedbump should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's Great !!!
I think an official annoucement some time today.
Old 18 Nov 2003, 20:20 (Ref:787547)   #8
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I really hope this is true, it seems like a solution from which everyone would win, and a rare case of common sense prevailing. Here's to another thrilling race for Canada to be proud of.
Old 19 Nov 2003, 00:46 (Ref:787780)   #9
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm glad it's back, but I'm not happy about the government and sponsors are having to step in to compensate teh teams. Basically, both Belgium and Canada were saved because their governments gave into Bernie and Max. Will all of Europe give into Bernie and Max into 2006 as well? That's what they're hoping for no doubt...

Now the race is on to sell tickets. Usually quite a few tickets have been sold by this point. There were fewer people there this year than last, and most people who are planning fly-away trips for next year will have plans made already - so there's lots of work to do on that front. Still, no doubt it'll be a huge success as always in the most watched racing event in North America.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 19 Nov 2003, 01:26 (Ref:787805)   #10
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Only for 2004

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay
I'm glad it's back, but I'm not happy about the government and sponsors are having to step in to compensate teh teams. Basically, both Belgium and Canada were saved because their governments gave into Bernie and Max. Will all of Europe give into Bernie and Max into 2006 as well? That's what they're hoping for no doubt
The compensation will apply only to the 2004 event, which is provisionally listed on the schedule for June 13. The contract between Legault and F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone runs to the end of 2006, and stipulates that the cars will run without tobacco branding.
Old 19 Nov 2003, 01:48 (Ref:787820)   #11
BARrouette
Racer

BARrouette should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Keep on rollin Canada
Old 19 Nov 2003, 02:56 (Ref:787836)   #12
fast95pony
Veteran

Canada
Calgary,Alberta,Canada
fast95pony should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great news , eh !! I think I'll have a eh !!
Old 19 Nov 2003, 04:00 (Ref:787860)   #13
ElScOrChO
Racer

ElScOrChO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great news!

Next step: buying a ticket in "La tribune" 11
Old 19 Nov 2003, 04:39 (Ref:787868)   #14
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Get your tickets here: www.grandprix.ca !

TIP: If you want a particular seat in a grandstand (ie high, low, middle, left, right, etc) call to order your tickets, as the tickets sales people are very good and will get you you the closest seats available to where you want. Also, you can be sure of the seats you're getting before paying.

One thing I notice looking at the track map is that the grandstands are as they are for the CART race (apart from the addition of 33) - much fewer and smaller grandstands, and some very good general admissions areas (which is not normal for F1)! This tells me that the organisers are anticipating a much smaller crowd than in past years. No doubt if these grandstands sell out, they will add more. Still, the good ones (11 in Silver and 34 in Bronze) always sell out fast...no doubt this will happen soon this year. All this said, as the crowds are usually horendous, this might be the best year for a while to attend the GP!

And as always, if you want a hotel room, book it now..yes right now! I'm sure there's not much left as it is...

Bring on the Labatts Canadian GP!
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 19 Nov 2003, 15:46 (Ref:788368)   #15
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It means the French GP is off the calendar, though...
Old 19 Nov 2003, 15:57 (Ref:788378)   #16
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Do you mean Magny Cours ? Why ?
Old 19 Nov 2003, 16:07 (Ref:788387)   #17
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What, again? Watch this space for further developments.
Old 19 Nov 2003, 23:14 (Ref:788832)   #18
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why does anyone want an extra race? Which other GP is provisional on the 2004 calendar? Who don't pay their fees to FOA on time? Who owns a certain circuit called Paul Ricard in a certain country called France?
Old 20 Nov 2003, 00:21 (Ref:788886)   #19
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
I agree...what Canada and Belgium went through had NOTHING with tobacco sponsorship, and most likely France's situation doesn't have to do with them not paying their fees...
Old 20 Nov 2003, 05:02 (Ref:789063)   #20
alonso11
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest
alonso11 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Here is a good point made by pitpass why do all the teams suppose to receive the
2mil compensation fee? What does it compensate for teams that have no tobacco sponsorship?
Old 25 Nov 2003, 15:23 (Ref:794101)   #21
perminder
Racer

United Kingdom
in my house
perminder should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yay more Circuit De Gilles Villeneuve!!!!!