Old 30 Apr 2001, 08:59 (Ref:86923)   #1
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow, I did'nt know this.........

Kees Talks: Spotlight on Young Drivers
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Kees van de Grint (Bridgestone Tyre Engineer)
Over Jos Verstappen

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
One of my first duties for Bridgestone was the development of a new generation of karting tyres.
The standard rim diameter in use at that time was five inches. According to our tyre designers a six inch rim diameter would be a better solution.
Obviously we did not want others to know about our ideas. Therefore the first test took place behind closed doors at the Genk circuit in Belgium back in July 1988.
Besides the test driver, team mechanics and circuit staff, a young kid was around. It was his day of from school. As it happend any spare minute available to him, he spend at the Genk circuit helping out with all sorts of odd jobs. As payment he was allowed to drive a kart before he had to go home.
Hallo, my name is Jos Verstappen he said. Is the test going well ? Would it be possible to hitch a ride back to Holland with me ? he asked.
Yes, the test results are promising and to drive back with me is a little difficult I replied. However if you do not mind sitting on the floor between the tyres, you can join me.

Six inch tyre development continued with good results and by the start of the 1989 European Championship we were confident enough to give the new tyre its race debut. Coincidence or not also Jos made his international debut at the same race in Montpellier France. What a debut it was for both of us. The young karting hero rocketed to victory on Bridgestone's new concept tyres. More wins followed and by the end of the year Jos was a double European Champion.
A long karting career would have followed, if Jos had not met with former Dutch Formule One driver Huub Rothengatter during the 1991 Karting World Championship.
Huub was so impressed and arranged a drive in the Formule Opel championship the following year. Jos did not disappoint his mentor. He won the Formule Opel championship in 1992, the German F3 and the Marlboro Masters titles in 1994. Followed in 1995 by his Formule One debut as teammate to Michael Schumacher at Benneton.

Winning and loosing, highs and lows, races you want to remember or forget about. Mention the Margutti Kart race in Italy at his Monte Carlo home and you will notice mixed feelings. Why, because Jos and his fellow competiors were fair and square beating to victory by a woman. Here name Sophie Kumpen. Today known as Sophie Verstappen mother of their two children.

His talent as a tester was by Honda, for whom Jos tested their still borne F1 car and by Bridgestone.
On July 7th 1996 a Ligier/Mugen was running at Suzuka in preparation for Bridgestone Formule One debut. Behind the steering wheel the man who withness the birth of a new kart tyre eight years before.

Very nice indeed!! from the bridgestone site.......
Old 30 Apr 2001, 12:24 (Ref:86993)   #2
DancingMachine
Racer

DancingMachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
thanks for the info...nice post.
Old 1 May 2001, 01:04 (Ref:87339)   #3
riusnow
Racer

riusnow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
you learn something new everyday.
Old 1 May 2001, 04:57 (Ref:87424)   #4
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I thought Jos drove for Benneton in 1994 ...

Don K.
Old 3 May 2001, 04:45 (Ref:88218)   #5
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You are right Don, he did, he won the masters in 93.

Last edited by steve nielsen; 3 May 2001 at 04:47.