Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Bike Racing

Old 17 Apr 2003, 11:28 (Ref:571992)   #1
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
No WSBK Return for Bostrom

Quote:
Former factory Ducati rider Ben Bostrom has ruled out a return to the World Superbike series in 2004, with the six times race winner set to continue in AMA SBK action with American Honda as he tries to rebuild his race winning form.
During a Q&A session prior to the Infineon Raceway round of the AMA series, 28 year old Ben was asked a number of questions about his WSBK career, including what made him decide to make the jump onto the world stage, from the American SBK series, in 2000.

"Initially, it was something new to try. We raced for Ducati in 1999 and I wanted to stay with Ducati in 2000, but they wanted us to come over to World Superbike," said Ben, before admitting it might have been a step too far at that point in his career.

"I didn't think I was ready to go, but I was excited to try something new, ride fast tracks and see the world. I have the goal of being the World champion and there's only one way to get it - that's what pulled me," added BB.

Bostrom's best WSBK season came in 2001 when he finished third in the standings after destroying the opposition - which included Troy Bayliss and Colin Edwards - during the second half of the season - but 2002 saw him drop to fifth with no wins to his credit after a mystifying loss of form.

"The (WSBK) experience was second to none and I wouldn't trade it for anything. The first two years were great, but the third year (2002) was tough," confessed the #155. "I needed to come home to recharge and remember where I came from. When a seat opened up, I wanted to come back home to Honda and the fantastic company. And it's just nice to remember the good things in life."

Having arrived back in the USA with American Honda, replacing outgoing champion Nicky Hayden, Bostrom took a fighting second on his race return in the Daytona 200, but his form slipped slightly in the next round at Fontana where he finished 3rd and 6th. Ben explained that the transition back to the AMA hadn't been as easy as he'd hoped.

"It's been a bit of a struggle. I thought it would come easier," he said. "Your brain gets used to a fast moving tracks, and you come back to Superbike and the turns are a bit slower. Fontana (the last round) is a bit of a stop-and-go racetrack. Obviously I'm not finishing up front, so I need to get my brain in gear. I'm riding a great bike, so hopefully that will move me up front."

But the big question on everyone's lips is will the American make a popular return to WSBK in 2004, on Hondas new Fireblade - giving the series another 'big name' following the departure of Colin Edwrads, Troy Bayliss and Noriyuki Haga to MotoGP...?

"No," said BB when asked directly if he was heading back to World Superbike in 2004.

However, Bostrom did stress that he believes the WSBK series will be rejuvenated next year, as more manufacturers return to boost what is at present almost a Ducati cup.

"With the manufacturer's taking a year off to rebuild their bikes, they'll return in 2004 and I think the series will be fantastic again," said Bostrom. "I have no plans (to return) right now. I just need to get back on my feet and learn to ride the Hondas and relearn the winning ways."
Anyone surprised by this? IMO Bostrom will probably never return to world competition unless he wins the AMA title. That probably won't happen this year, so a 2004 return is definetely out.

Plus, it will all depend on the immediate future of WSB. Many talk of new manufacturers, but there is little media coverage of this apparent manufacturer interest.

I think Ben will most likely stay at home for the rest of his motorcycling career. He'll be 30 when another opportunity may arise, and although Bayliss was well in his 30's when his big break came, Bostrom has already had one break and left out of form. Will a team gamble on him again?
Old 17 Apr 2003, 13:21 (Ref:572089)   #2
asha
Veteran

asha should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ben was fast, then he slowed...Very few riders get fast again!
Old 17 Apr 2003, 16:05 (Ref:572221)   #3
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Honda have always had the intention of returning next year, and the article pretty much confirms it. Although he says he's not interested, a good performance at the WSB meeting at Laguna may get him interested in an international return.
Old 17 Apr 2003, 22:37 (Ref:572590)   #4
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
bugger , I posted a topic about this last week , I always liked Bostrom and was and still am hoping he can make it back one day