Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Club Level Single Seaters

Old 19 May 2008, 12:18 (Ref:2206405)   #1
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Graz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
So, what was the outcome of the Dan/Jim clash? I saw it from behind and I have to, say I thought Jim moved over unfairly on Dan.

Cracking race except for the safety car interruption. Wayne and Jim were awesome!! Jim's car is the dogs, what a noise and he was hitting the limiter in every gear on the straight. It's a bloody rocket and he's a fabulous driver, right on the limit - Ed, you have to get these guys out regularly.

Special mention to Simon McKinley - the guys a bloody legend, he was at 90 degrees out of Dunlop on full power every lap and then played chicken with the guys with the pit boards on the straight - I thought he hit the pitwall with his rear wing at one point. Again, Ed, make this guy come out regularly.

Lads, as a whole, you Libre guys are worth the entry fee alone!!
Old 19 May 2008, 14:45 (Ref:2206510)   #2
tkiwan
Racer

Ireland
Kildare
tkiwan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Safety Car went out because cars stalled on exit of turn 3 and 4 some cars were not slowing enough to let people move / restart them. I was only out for 2 laps would have been only 1 if the leaders wernt mucking about.
Old 19 May 2008, 18:26 (Ref:2206676)   #3
SCOBER11
Racer

SCOBER11 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2 laps thats like 5 mins of a 20 min race!
Old 19 May 2008, 18:53 (Ref:2206691)   #4
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
well if you don't want safety cars out in your races then I suggest you speak with the drivers that aren't obeying the yellow flags. There was a car right at the edge of the track at the exit of D12 in a very unsafe position. Before the FIVs were brought in, there's no question that it would have been a red flag. But since there was an FIV close to that position, they tried to do this safely under yellows . The tow vehicle did try to move it under yellows. However, it became very clear that certain drivers were not obeying the yellow flags and were putting the marshals' safety in jeapardy.

I was standing opposite this car and I had a very good view of it and I was horrified by the behaviour of certain drivers with marshals working on a live track.

The only way you're going to avoid situations like this is if the majority of drivers who do behave well under yellows (and with Libres, I'm well aware that this is most of you! ) make it clear to those who don't that their behaviour will not be tolerated. These drivers are the ones doing you out of a full race, not the tower or the marshals.
Old 19 May 2008, 20:12 (Ref:2206751)   #5
class1comp
Rookie

Ireland
Co. Kildare
class1comp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
MI has issued results from the week end. No result for the Sunday race, not even a provisional. Mylaps.com have no details for Sunday race either.
I think some possible reasons are (can someone clarify)
1. Cars not correctly regridded after first lap red flag. Some drivers knew they should return to their starting position, others tried to hold the position they had achieved. (Need for some driver education there)
2. Possible overtake under yellow by winner before or after safety car period.

Scober11 the races were only 15 minutes the race on Saturday was stopped with only 8 minutes actual racing time.

For all the difficulties of the weekend it was an enjoyable event.
Well done to Ed and Dan.
Why do I feel I can comment? I provided accomodation for 10% of the grid and did general pit, paddock and gofor duties for them!
Old 19 May 2008, 21:02 (Ref:2206801)   #6
driftwood
Veteran

driftwood has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I am surprised to rea dthat some drivers have behave din afoolish and reckless manner
Over on the mainland thos responsible would have been either black flagged or hailed befor eteh Cof c given a ropasting and probably ha dlicnece endorsed
and im sure the race would have been red flagged as well
a safety car is there to assist the drivers to carry on moving rather than restart a race which can waste a lot of time/ cook engines AND to allow the volunteers to carry out a recovery task in a degree of safety

I know on the mainland we often have over zealous CoC red flaggimg races when we can run yellows or a safety car period if race is long enough
Helf and safety brigade and insurance create this situation
Old 19 May 2008, 21:52 (Ref:2206857)   #7
Motormouth
Racer

Ireland
Motormouth should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilPumpkin
well if you don't want safety cars out in your races then I suggest you speak with the drivers that aren't obeying the yellow flags. There was a car right at the edge of the track at the exit of D12 in a very unsafe position. Before the FIVs were brought in, there's no question that it would have been a red flag. But since there was an FIV close to that position, they tried to do this safely under yellows . The tow vehicle did try to move it under yellows. However, it became very clear that certain drivers were not obeying the yellow flags and were putting the marshals' safety in jeapardy.

I was standing opposite this car and I had a very good view of it and I was horrified by the behaviour of certain drivers with marshals working on a live track.

The only way you're going to avoid situations like this is if the majority of drivers who do behave well under yellows (and with Libres, I'm well aware that this is most of you! ) make it clear to those who don't that their behaviour will not be tolerated. These drivers are the ones doing you out of a full race, not the tower or the marshals.
D12???
FIV????
WTF???
Old 20 May 2008, 07:23 (Ref:2207040)   #8
Peter Dunne
Tea Addict And Summoner Of Safety Cars
Veteran

Peter Dunne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPeter Dunne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motormouth
D12???
FIV????
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilpumpkin
It goes Delta 3 (under the bridge); Delta 4 (first corner); Delta 5 (usually known as Wiggins Pier for some reason - exit of D4 and by the tunnel into the back gate); Delta 8 and 10 (entrance and exit to Turn 3); Delta 11 (flag post under the tree at hole in the hedge); Delta 12 (big fecking gravel trap!); Delta 27 (at the PDC); Delta 28 (last corner); Delta 29 (exit flag for last corner on the main straight).
Leo, above is a lap in "marshal speak" . AKA: Horgan straight, Shell, BOAC, Duckhams, Castrol Esses, Ford straight and Dunlop.

FIV=F5 (Roman numerals are sooo natty)

Apparently the lack of results is due to a protest put in by a competitor re alleged overtaking by another under safety car.

Last edited by Peter Dunne; 20 May 2008 at 07:25.
Old 20 May 2008, 07:36 (Ref:2207050)   #9
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
D12???
Marshals post Delta 12, AKA turn 4, or ireland.ie, the sweeping left hander at the back of the paddock.

Quote:
FIV????
Fast Intervention Vehicle, a pickup truck with two "good ol' boys" (Unfortunately John Morris won't fit the gun racks!)
Old 20 May 2008, 07:37 (Ref:2207051)   #10
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
D12 - Delta 12 - no idea what it's called in driver speak! It's the curve after turn 3 as you are heading to the PDC - the one with the big gravel trap.

FIV - Fast Intervention Vehicle - tow trucks that carry marshals to either move cars or deal with incidents during racing.

WTF - what on earth are you talking about....
Old 20 May 2008, 07:39 (Ref:2207052)   #11
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
D12 - Delta 12 - no idea what it's called in driver speak! It's the curve after turn 3 as you are heading to the PDC - the one with the big gravel trap.
That would make it turn 4 then???
Old 20 May 2008, 07:45 (Ref:2207058)   #12
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwood
I am surprised to rea dthat some drivers have behave din afoolish and reckless manner
Over on the mainland thos responsible would have been either black flagged or hailed befor eteh Cof c given a ropasting and probably ha dlicnece endorsed
and im sure the race would have been red flagged as well
a safety car is there to assist the drivers to carry on moving rather than restart a race which can waste a lot of time/ cook engines AND to allow the volunteers to carry out a recovery task in a degree of safety

I know on the mainland we often have over zealous CoC red flaggimg races when we can run yellows or a safety car period if race is long enough
Helf and safety brigade and insurance create this situation
The mainland...? I presume you mean the UK which is another country?

As far as I am aware, the drivers involved did get a visit to the CoC and action was taken.

However, I wanted to make it clear that attempts were made to deal with this incident under yellows to minimise disruption to the race and it was the actions of certain drivers in the race that caused further traffic control to be sent out. The fault here lies squarely with those who disregarded the yellow flags - and put marshals' lives in danger.

The race was spoiled by the small minority who cared neither for their fellow drivers or for the safety of the volunteers working the track. Those who feel their race was spoiled need to be aware of that and I feel they should be making it clear to the people responsible that their actions are unwelcome and unacceptable.

F.Libre has always been one of my favourite classes as it's largely populated by friendly "gentleman" drivers who you can rely on to provide a cracking race - but still behave sensibly when needed. I would hate to see Libres added to the list of classes that marshals are not comfortable working trackside for, out of fears for their own safety, just because of the actions of a few selfish and reckless people.
Old 20 May 2008, 08:00 (Ref:2207066)   #13
Peter Dunne
Veteran

Peter Dunne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPeter Dunne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The fault here lies squarely with those who disregarded the yellow flags - and put marshals' lives in danger.

The race was spoiled by the small minority who cared neither for their fellow drivers or for the safety of the volunteers working the track.

F.Libre has always been one of my favourite classes as it's largely populated by friendly "gentleman" drivers who you can rely on to provide a cracking race - but still behave sensibly when needed. I would hate to see Libres added to the list of classes that marshals will not work trackside for, out of fears for their own safety, just because of the actions of a few selfish and reckless people.
Nail.Head.Hit.On. It will be interesting (when the results go up on Mylaps) to see how many drivers either improved or maintained their lap times when the yellows went out.

I've said it before, ours is an amateur sport with nothing at stake except for peoples lives and if drivers cant see that, then they should'nt be competing.

Last edited by Peter Dunne; 20 May 2008 at 08:03.
Old 20 May 2008, 08:40 (Ref:2207100)   #14
driftwood
Veteran

driftwood has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
The mainland...? I presume you mean the UK which is another country? Yes the Mainland is another country they also speak a funny language here

As far as I am aware, the drivers involved did get a visit to the CoC and action was taken. over here they would be in deep doo doo and later get named and shamed in Autosport report or after the RACMSA court hearings all is published in the RAC newsletter we get quartely
the Tribunal page is where most racers turn to first to read the cases and snigger at peoples stupidity

Maybe you guys can do similar with the guilty drivers wearing a suit for the weekend

Last edited by driftwood; 20 May 2008 at 08:43.
Old 20 May 2008, 09:15 (Ref:2207118)   #15
Jennifer_ni
Clears incidents with the POWER OF HER MIND!
Racer

Ireland
Co-Kildare
Jennifer_ni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJennifer_ni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnetON
Marshals post Delta 12, AKA turn 4, or ireland.ie, the sweeping left hander at the back of the paddock.
Known as the esses!
Old 20 May 2008, 09:18 (Ref:2207119)   #16
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer_ni
Known as the esses!
I'm sure in it's time it's probably also been called Honda, Budweiser, Duckhams, Castrol, Dettol, Panadol... lol
Old 20 May 2008, 09:34 (Ref:2207128)   #17
Peter Dunne
Veteran

Quote:
Known as the esses!
Ah ha! Now you're starting to talk like a driver. Before you know it, you will be able to name all corners as they should be. Now, after me: Shell, BOAC, Duckhams........
Old 20 May 2008, 09:47 (Ref:2207142)   #18
Podd37
Racer

Ireland
Dublin
Podd37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I always knew it as 'the Esses' too. At least it has a name...not like turns '7A and 7B' . Why was it changed from Tarzan 1 and 2? Or was it ever really called that?
With regards the driving standards from where I was in the stand (or the very big creche!) the back corner of Ron's car became the apex of said Esses and it appeared that most drivers were trying to get as tight to that apex as possible. I thought (and it is easy to play CoC from the stand) it should have been stopped faster to be honest. And each driver in turn should have recieved a on the grid before the restart. I know its not everyone but surely if everyone gets a telling off then at the next class meeting it can be brought up. One of my reasons for only sporadic appearances at Mondello are the woeful driving standards, having, last time out, been overtaken by a car that passed between me and a driverless car, under yellows at BOAC. Result after the race, nothing. No observers saw it!
Old 20 May 2008, 09:55 (Ref:2207153)   #19
Jennifer_ni
Racer

Ireland
Co-Kildare
Jennifer_ni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJennifer_ni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Turn 1-Honda
Turn 2-Stena line i think???
Turn 3-Duckhams (before my time in mondello)
Turn 4-First part of the Esses/Ireland.ie
Turn 5-Second part of the esses/Bikeworld
Turn 6-Dunlop
Old 20 May 2008, 09:57 (Ref:2207155)   #20
Jennifer_ni
Racer

Ireland
Co-Kildare
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podd37
I always knew it as 'the Esses' too. At least it has a name...not like turns '7A and 7B' . Why was it changed from Tarzan 1 and 2? Or was it ever really called that?
I could be wrong but was it changed because another circuit had a corner named tarzan and they complained??? Just something i heard not sure if im right.
Old 20 May 2008, 10:01 (Ref:2207157)   #21
Peter Dunne
Veteran

Turn 1-Honda Shell
Turn 2-Stena line i think??? BOAC
Turn 3-Duckhams (before my time in mondello)
Turn 4-First part of the Esses/Ireland.ie Castrol esses
Turn 5-Second part of the esses/Bikeworld
Ford straight
Turn 6-Dunlop
Thats the way it was when I were a lad!

Last edited by Peter Dunne; 20 May 2008 at 10:05.
Old 20 May 2008, 10:04 (Ref:2207159)   #22
Peter Dunne
Veteran

Quote:
I could be wrong but was it changed because another circuit had a corner named tarzan and they complained??? Just something i heard not sure if im right.
Zandvoort in Holland. Would have thought it was a compliment to "borrow" a corner name...
Old 20 May 2008, 10:21 (Ref:2207174)   #23
Peter Dunne
Veteran

Libre race two results here

Last edited by Peter Dunne; 20 May 2008 at 10:25.
Old 20 May 2008, 10:43 (Ref:2207192)   #24
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Dunne
Turn 6-Dunlop
I thought turn 6 on the international circuit was "Parabolica" at one point.
Old 20 May 2008, 10:45 (Ref:2207193)   #25
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Dunne
*sigh* and the moral of this story is that it's perfectly ok to put people's lives in danger provided you get the result you want