Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 8 Feb 2003, 18:38 (Ref:500746)   #1
Chris Griffin
Racer

England
Theale, Berkshire, UK
Chris Griffin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Name Games

Over the years there have been various drivers who have altered their racing names in order to stand-out. Either due to having the same name as someone else or pure vanity in some cases I guess. Anyone care to add to these...

Mike "Fulmar" Taylor Sports 2000
John "Brolly" Booth FF1600
"Smoking" Joe Winklehock
Brian "Yogi" Muir - Saloons
Old 8 Feb 2003, 19:57 (Ref:500804)   #2
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
John Winter (real name Louis Krages)
Nelson Piquet (Nelson Piquet Souto-Maior)
Ayrton Senna da Silva
Old 8 Feb 2003, 20:45 (Ref:500846)   #3
Chris Townsend
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Chris Townsend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not sure that Mike 'Fulmar' Taylor or 'Brolly' Booth altered their racing names as such. Wasn't it more a case of racing press and commentators attaching epithets to them to distinguish them from other drivers of the same name in the same formula. [In this case Mike 'Abacus' Taylor and indeed Mike 'Alta' Taylor, and John 'Butcher' Booth.] I remember a plethora of Tim Jones's down at Brands, distinguished in the same way, this time by home town.

One 'modification' was Bob Higgins who in his early days went under the moniker R.R.Higgins, rather then plain old 'Bob'.

The Italians were the real aces at the pseudonym, what with Gimax and Tiger and Geki, but I guess that's not what we're after here.
Old 8 Feb 2003, 21:24 (Ref:500876)   #4
Sim_Da_BTCC_Man
Veteran

Sim_Da_BTCC_Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
John Batelor AKA John Top Gear AKA John B-and-Q
Old 8 Feb 2003, 22:25 (Ref:500937)   #5
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Phil Bennett became Phil Benetti when he stood in for Paul Lomax at Donington last year. Apparently this was due to the fact the Italians in that particular championship would gang up on the Brits...
Old 8 Feb 2003, 23:03 (Ref:500965)   #6
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
jh

Last edited by ss_collins; 8 Feb 2003 at 23:04.
Old 9 Feb 2003, 12:33 (Ref:501353)   #7
gfm
Veteran

gfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Can't think of many.
Most Australians and some Americans now seem to favour weblike nick names.
What about 'Whizzo' Williams? 'KeKe' in place of Keijo or something similary unspeakably Finnish, Rosberg.
My favourit - the Belgian racer Bernard de Dryver (real), had to assist him of course, Antoine de Mechanik.
The Italians used them a lot, because if you went racing and therefore had a lot of money, the maffia would ransome your children. But the Targa and Miglia Miglia was full of them as I remember.

Last edited by gfm; 9 Feb 2003 at 12:36.
Old 9 Feb 2003, 16:39 (Ref:501511)   #8
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
John Winter was a good one, wasn't it he who was not allowed to race by a family member. So to get round it he changed his name for racing! Only problem was when he won Le Mans his face was splashed across the papers and the family member found out!

I think he made a comeback later on though if my facts are right!
Old 9 Feb 2003, 17:21 (Ref:501536)   #9
Chris Griffin
Racer

England
Theale, Berkshire, UK
Chris Griffin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Spiffero is another of those Italian? ones that springs to mind.
Old 10 Feb 2003, 13:17 (Ref:502307)   #10
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by gfm

What about 'Whizzo' Williams?
Oh yes! May I just name-drop by belatedly thanking Whizzo for chauffering me to the Le Mans Classic last September?

At one point we needed to gas up, so we went around a roundabout, full opposite lock at some ridiculous speed. All I could think of was to ask Whizzo if there was any chance of going around again........
Old 10 Feb 2003, 21:56 (Ref:502766)   #11
Edgar Jessop
Rookie

Edgar Jessop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by gfm
Can't think of many.
What about 'Whizzo' Williams? 'KeKe' in place of Keijo or something similary unspeakably Finnish, Rosberg.
'Whizzo' Williams doesn't answer to but does also get called 'Squeaker'! One of his old rivals I know from saloon car racing in the early 70s thought him the most talented of all of them. Super guy! Even got his own smilie here.

But if you want something unspeakably Finnish, gfm, what about Jyrki Jarvilehto. Finnish guy, used to race Formula Fords from about '84 to '86. Don't know what happened to him after that though!
Old 11 Feb 2003, 11:23 (Ref:503199)   #12
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ah yes JJ Lehto! I remember wondering what they JJ meant!
Old 11 Feb 2003, 15:11 (Ref:503432)   #13
gfm
Veteran

gfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
... can play this game. In 76 we had Mika Arpianen, Mikko Kozarowitszky and Freddie Kottulinsky all vieing for the sign writer!
Imagine too the slipstreamers nightmare for the commentator, in Austria I finished 7th - 1.4 seconds behind the winner.
Old 11 Feb 2003, 15:22 (Ref:503436)   #14
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Australian BRUTES series is unusual in that EVERY competitor has a nickname!