Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 30 Aug 2004, 12:21 (Ref:1081461)   #1
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Patrick Carpentier eyes jump to IRL

Interesting read here. Carpentier says he's rather stay with CC, but he's recived offers from IndyCar teams which are "much better".

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...ery=carpentier

I wonder which teams? N/H Isn't moving over apparantly, so that's the most obvious one ruled out...
Old 30 Aug 2004, 12:30 (Ref:1081475)   #2
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Should be interesting to see how it develops. On the topic at hand, Robin Miller included the following in his latest column over at the SPEEDTV website;

Quote:
CARPENTIER TO IRL?

Patrick Carpentier is one of Champ Car's most recognizable faces but after eight years he may be headed to the rival Indy Racing League.

"I've got some pretty interesting offers from the other side but nothing special over here," said Carpentier after finishing second here Sunday. "I've talked with Gerry (Forsythe) and we'll talk more but it's kind of disappointing we can't find anybody in Canada to step up and sponsor Paul (Tracy) and myself.

"If I stay here in Champ Car it looks like I have to bring money and in the IRL I would get paid a lot of money to drive."

The personable 33-year-old native of Quebec could end up with Roger Penske or Chip Ganassi since both are considering expanding to three cars.

"I've always liked ovals," said the 1996 Toyota Atlantic champion. "I haven't made a decision yet but I'll make one by Laguna Seca (Sept. 12)."
I think the highlighted quote in that piece says quite a lot about the current situation.
Old 30 Aug 2004, 12:49 (Ref:1081500)   #3
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
He'd be a good addition to the series.

A Canadian driver may help increase interest there.
Old 30 Aug 2004, 13:30 (Ref:1081529)   #4
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And open the way to a Canadian venue.
Old 30 Aug 2004, 14:31 (Ref:1081576)   #5
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Nah....

Patrick will be called a "traitor" and a "turncoat" and he will become the next pariah....

Even though he will be making a good decision based on business and on his competitive prospects for next season if he does come to the IRL...

and it's a shame...because he is the odd man out at Forsythe, and the only reason why is is even in a car this season is because OWRS fans screamed loudly until Forsythe added a thrid car to his lineup....

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 30 Aug 2004, 14:46 (Ref:1081582)   #6
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's a sad state of affairs that Pat has been treated so badly by Forsythe this season, but the good thing about IRL teams having such strong funding from engine manufacturers and long-term sponsors is that they can hire drivers predominantly on talent. Considering Pat's excellent record on ovals, he'd be a good addition to any team.
Old 31 Aug 2004, 22:48 (Ref:1083242)   #7
Team Owner
Racer

Team Owner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide
It's a sad state of affairs that Pat has been treated so badly by Forsythe this season, but the good thing about IRL teams having such strong funding from engine manufacturers and long-term sponsors is that they can hire drivers predominantly on talent. Considering Pat's excellent record on ovals, he'd be a good addition to any team.
I think you're spot on with that thought Boots. Pat seems to be a very likeable guy and I believe he would enjoy what the future holds for the IRL Series. I don't blame him for looking out for his best interests. I just hope the Canadian fans will see it for what it is and not persecute him for doing what is best for Pat.
Old 31 Aug 2004, 23:27 (Ref:1083256)   #8
MLM
Veteran

MLM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pat IS a likeable guy, Team Owner and certainly would not deserve, IMO, being called "a traitor" or worse

A person has to do what a person has to do.
I wish PC luck in whatever he chooses...and will continue to wish him the best, no matter what he chooses
Old 31 Aug 2004, 23:33 (Ref:1083260)   #9
stmookeyj033
Veteran

stmookeyj033 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have a gut feeling he'll end up in a red and white car with target stickers all over it.
Old 31 Aug 2004, 23:59 (Ref:1083267)   #10
MLM
Veteran

MLM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did you read champweb.net, too? I just saw that tidbit of gossip there just now
Old 1 Sep 2004, 00:14 (Ref:1083270)   #11
sgjb
Racer

sgjb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can say if Patrick shifts to IRL so will alot of my viewing. I can say I am a casual IRL watcher with most of my attention to CART. But recently I have figured out that I really don't care what series is happening I like watching racing and support or Canadian drivers.

Patrick would be a good addition to IRL if they can get him, he is by far the most personable Canadian in the series and if CART can't see fit to pay him go for it.

Tim, because Patrick is the way he is and people know of how he has been treated I would be shocked to hear him being called a traitor.
Old 1 Sep 2004, 11:48 (Ref:1083711)   #12
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by sgjb

I would be shocked to hear him being called a traitor.

It would be very unfair, espesherly as he stuck with the series during the difficult times. He is free to do what he wants, It looks good he will be racing in the IRL next year and I would welcome him for sure.

Last edited by luke; 1 Sep 2004 at 11:50.
Old 1 Sep 2004, 11:57 (Ref:1083723)   #13
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
always thought that patrick was better on the ovals - i bet he hopes that paul tracy dont follow him to the irl as his team-mate
Old 2 Sep 2004, 11:48 (Ref:1084690)   #14
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
PT in the IRL would never happen, I think he would rather retire first. He is the guy that called their cars "Crapwagons" afterall.
As for Carpentier, I don't think people would hold it against him if he moved. They didn't hold it against Darren Manning, he's still liked within the Champ Car community. The fact that Patrick would be making the move because of 'need' more than 'want' is key.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 2 Sep 2004, 12:33 (Ref:1084747)   #15
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by enemy-ace
The fact that Patrick would be making the move because of 'need' more than 'want' is key.
Unfortunately quite a few people fail to realize this.
Old 2 Sep 2004, 16:52 (Ref:1084996)   #16
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There has been talks with Autosport that he would rather race in the IRL.
Old 2 Sep 2004, 17:27 (Ref:1085036)   #17
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Judging by the behaviour of some of the CART fans, I don't entirely blame him for being tired of the situation. Those of his fans who are worth having will support his decision and do their best to get hooked on oval racing and the IRL. Ultimately, CART doesn't value his talent as highly as Lavin or Philippe's dollars, and he only got the drive this year to fill the field - a driver of such talent, personality and loyalty shouldn't be reduced to this.
Old 2 Sep 2004, 18:20 (Ref:1085093)   #18
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Totaly, anyway If he does join the IRL I shall look forward to seeing him race. It would be great if he does well next year it would certainly show the fans etc who give him unfair treatment etc a lesson.
Old 2 Sep 2004, 21:28 (Ref:1085278)   #19
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by sgjb
Tim, because Patrick is the way he is and people know of how he has been treated I would be shocked to hear him being called a traitor.
I'm not sure I would be.

I thought Adrian was a hell of a guy to, and look at how badly he's been treated by his old fans. If Patrick does want to come over, than he should just do it, and don't worry about the fan reaction. He would quickly become a fan favorite here, like Adrian and others have.

Does anyone think that Patrick might be trying to gain leverage in OWRS, by saying that he's thinking about making a move? And what would OWRS do to save him, if anything?
Old 2 Sep 2004, 21:35 (Ref:1085291)   #20
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I raised that same issue over in the Champ Car Forum, but no one commented on it...

But in another thread, there was a link to Patrick's "Guest Book," where members were encouraged to offer their thoughts and to encourage him to stay in OWRS....

Naturally, I went there to tell him to do what he thinks is best for him....which I hope would be to take the "paying job" in the IRL with a competitive team as opposed to being a "paying driver" to get a ride that might be a mid-pack race program...

But he could be floating this out there to stir up his canadian fan base and the Champ Car fans to make their voices heard with sponsors or teams to retain him to keep him in the OWRS....

who knows????

Old 2 Sep 2004, 21:40 (Ref:1085299)   #21
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Now if you would like to give your two cents worth to Patrick, here is where you can do it:

http://www.cartpentier.com/guestbook...at.php?job=add

Hope that the link works!!!!

Old 3 Sep 2004, 08:36 (Ref:1085660)   #22
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Can't belive the amount of BS in that guestbook.

C'mon people, lets how him he'd be more than welcome here!
Old 3 Sep 2004, 10:11 (Ref:1085716)   #23
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
I've signed it. The ignorance of some of the 'fans' in the guestbook is rpedictable but still frustrating. IRL drivers certainly aren't 'forgotten' as one puts it - just compare the attendance. And they won't just be turning left next year. '2 Canadian fans' bringing Brack's crash into it was pretty sickening - Zanardi? Moore? Krosnoff? Rodriguez?
Old 3 Sep 2004, 11:03 (Ref:1085762)   #24
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
I've just had a thought.

Partick has been in talk with IRL teams - we know that, but we don't know who - but with the rumours that Sam and Helio want out of Penske...could he have been in talks with Penske?

Just thinking out loud.
Old 3 Sep 2004, 13:47 (Ref:1085939)   #25
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've heard stranger rumours DF.