Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 25 May 2015, 15:44 (Ref:3541072)   #1
karimbo
Veteran

Canada
Montreal, Canada
karimbo has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Was Hamilton's "sorrow" a little exagerated in Monaco?

Do you think that Lewis Hamilton's reaction was a little staged or exagerated after he lost the Monaco Grand Prix?

Of course, his team botched the call, but he looked as if the whole of his family died in a fire after the race. It took him forever to get out of his car, to get to the podium, etc. It was hard to imagine that a couple of days prior to that he was awashed with tens of millions of Euros...

Even Verstappen's race was botched because of his team's horrible pit stop, but he didn't give up.

It's seems that when things get just a little difficult, LH gets really upset. Maybe his carreer has been a little too easy if you compare it to say, Jenson Button's.
Old 25 May 2015, 15:51 (Ref:3541077)   #2
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
No I don't think so, I am sure he was gutted After all he had worked his arse off all weekend, so to loose Monaco that way is a major disappointment..
Old 25 May 2015, 15:52 (Ref:3541078)   #3
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
No.
Old 25 May 2015, 16:19 (Ref:3541086)   #4
rpolinski
Racer

Australia
rpolinski should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As the others said, No! He'd just lost Monaco! I thought he'd taken it pretty well considering.
Old 25 May 2015, 16:25 (Ref:3541091)   #5
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
No, it was Monaco. To an F1 driver, thats huge and it was simply walking it.

He was obviously dissapointed, so in many ways it was beneficial for him to take his time on the slow down lap and calm down a bit.

He could have slagged off the team - he didn't
He could have said Nico didn't deserve it - he didn't
He could have called out the engineers - he didn't

The make or break was his behaviour out of the car for me and he did right.

Its called character, something thats been lacking too long in F1...and no I'm not a die-hard Lewis fan
Old 25 May 2015, 16:30 (Ref:3541093)   #6
karimbo
Veteran

Canada
Montreal, Canada
karimbo has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
EVERYBODY works hard at Montecarlo. Jenson Button, Daniel Ricciardo and even Will Stevens. But I guess that some drivers expect to win easy.

If LH would find himself in Button's situation, what would happen? Depression? Suicide?
Old 25 May 2015, 16:40 (Ref:3541097)   #7
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
for all we know in terms of race win bonuses his strategy error might have cost him somewhere in the neigbourhood of several million dollars (crazy) and if he loses the title by several points then this mistake will cost him a heck of a lot more.

anyways refreshing to see a driver take what they do seriously...whether its because of money or pride in what they do the end result is the same...he wants to win and cant stomach losing.
Old 25 May 2015, 16:43 (Ref:3541098)   #8
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_b View Post
No, it was Monaco. To an F1 driver, thats huge and it was simply walking it.

He was obviously dissapointed, so in many ways it was beneficial for him to take his time on the slow down lap and calm down a bit.

He could have slagged off the team - he didn't
He could have said Nico didn't deserve it - he didn't
He could have called out the engineers - he didn't

The make or break was his behaviour out of the car for me and he did right.

Its called character, something thats been lacking too long in F1...and no I'm not a die-hard Lewis fan
Bang on. I am impartial when it comes to Hamilton on most accounts but he handled it very well. This is the team he just signed up to for a further 3 years costing him a Monaco Grand Prix. He was justifiably upset but didn't do anything he'd regret. So he handled it well...
Old 25 May 2015, 16:44 (Ref:3541099)   #9
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by karimbo View Post
EVERYBODY works hard at Montecarlo. Jenson Button, Daniel Ricciardo and even Will Stevens. But I guess that some drivers expect to win easy.

If LH would find himself in Button's situation, what would happen? Depression? Suicide?
Lewis was leading the race by a country mile...
Old 25 May 2015, 16:56 (Ref:3541102)   #10
lukej
Rookie

lukej should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by karimbo View Post

What a tasteless comment. Clearly mental health issues are foreign to you if you think depression or suicide are caused by a single event or point of difficulty. Please educate yourself.

Luke
Old 25 May 2015, 17:05 (Ref:3541105)   #11
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Answer to the OP's question - No.

For goodness sake, whether you like him or not, I really don't care, but isn't it time to move on from this 'let's find another flaw in his character' routine.....? It's getting pretty tedious.....

Old 25 May 2015, 17:20 (Ref:3541109)   #12
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Answer to the OP's question - No.

For goodness sake, whether you like him or not, I really don't care, but isn't it time to move on from this 'let's find another flaw in his character' routine.....? It's getting pretty tedious.....

You are not kidding, it's trolling really...
Old 25 May 2015, 18:42 (Ref:3541141)   #13
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Driver dissapointed to lose shocker. Hold the front page.
Old 25 May 2015, 19:18 (Ref:3541152)   #14
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
This thread is a bit desperate.
Old 25 May 2015, 19:21 (Ref:3541153)   #15
Richard C
Veteran

United States
Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
To the question... no. But I do think the OPs argument is "exaggerated"

Richard
Old 26 May 2015, 00:18 (Ref:3541239)   #16
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
He was gutted. He lost the MC race - which is Rosberg's terrain. He lost the race due to an unnecessary fiasco. So, yeah, he was gutted. Rosberg has a bit of winning streak now and he won't like that!

I think he's also a guy who is aware that he's a public figure and consciously sends messages to the public via his body language.

He is something of showman. But don't mistake that for insincerity.
Old 26 May 2015, 00:36 (Ref:3541246)   #17
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Mr Hamilton seems to have a history of getting these down moments on-track, channeling them, and then coming back even stronger than before.

Here's hoping the anger/dejection/anger/disappointment/anger can see him show up the field in Canada...

And no, it didnt appear to be a put on act to me...
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 26 May 2015, 01:55 (Ref:3541250)   #18
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Whose fault was it really?

If it was actually my decision that had cost me the race like that I would be pretty upset too!

From Lewis at the FIA post race press conference:

“I saw a screen and it looked like the team was out and I thought Nico had pitted. Umm obviously I couldn’t see the guys behind so I thought that the guys were pitting, so when the team said to stay out I said that, you know, these tyres were going to drop in temperature and whit I was assuming that these guys would be on options, and I was on the harder tyre, so they said to pit. So without thinking I came in with full confidence that the others had done the same.”

Lewis clearly questioned the teams decision based on what he thought he saw on the big screen. The critical bit is did the team okay or consent to his wish to come in, or did he just come in because he believed that Nico had, and he would be vulnerable to Nico on softs?

There is no way, surely, that Merc strategists who knew Nico had not pitted could actually have agreed with his decision to pit?!

Note: Repost from "Moanco" GP thread.
Old 26 May 2015, 02:08 (Ref:3541253)   #19
fredd1
Racer

fredd1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Given that we've all heard how terse he often is with his pit-wall (and maybe ponder such messages that haven't been shared) I think the pit-wall talking heads have bowed to him - anything for a happy Lewie.
Old 26 May 2015, 10:25 (Ref:3541344)   #20
JacobP
Racer

JacobP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lewis has the right competitive attitude to be a champion. He wants to win, always, and leave no points on the table. That's the normal attitude. Cool headed drivers like the Professor Alain Prost with the attitude "I just collect the points I need today, and race to win the next time", are usually more of an exception.

Monaco GP is also very special, and everybody wants to win it.
Old 26 May 2015, 11:14 (Ref:3541356)   #21
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
I'm pretty anti-Lewis (current Lewis anyway, I was a big fan in 07/08 before he became insufferable) but i thought he handled it reasonably well all things considered.

He almost let himself down by 'doing a Senna' and parking at Portier and walking home. But i think even he realised how tragic that would have looked.
Old 26 May 2015, 11:53 (Ref:3541366)   #22
spider
Veteran

England
London
spider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridspider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Portier park-up was a bit bizarre, and knocking over the 3rd place sign was a bit silly - but, it's the kind of silliness that Senna did from time to time.

I switched off half-way through as it was so clear that he was in control, so to lose out - with clearly a mixture of his and the team's fault, must've been ludicrously hard to absorb.

He's still going to win the title by a country mile as he's quite clearly in a different league to Nico, so this'll be forgotten.

I thought Nico handled it well too, as it would've been easy for him to properly rub salt into the wounds...
Old 26 May 2015, 12:08 (Ref:3541370)   #23
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
He was gutted. He lost the MC race - which is Rosberg's terrain. He lost the race due to an unnecessary fiasco. So, yeah, he was gutted. Rosberg has a bit of winning streak now and he won't like that!

I think he's also a guy who is aware that he's a public figure and consciously sends messages to the public via his body language.

He is something of showman. But don't mistake that for insincerity.
I have to agree with Paradise City that he is a bit of a showman in some ways and likes to be a little bit theatrical at times. He does like to cultivate an image (however, those who have previously known him on this forum state that this is the "true" him", so far enough.)

On the radio in Spain "is it impossible, though?". That was more for his fans than his team, so I disagree with DC's commentary when he said that the drivers never think about who's listening. Who knows? Perhaps the tap against the number 3 sign was like an insult to the idea of being number 3 in that race.

That said, none of this is a massive criticism of him from me about him. He does have a touch of the Nigel Mansell (or Ayrton Senna?) about him in this regard.
Old 26 May 2015, 12:17 (Ref:3541374)   #24
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The F1 iPhone app suggested early on in the race that Mercedes had lost telemetry contact with the #44 car...not sure if that meant lack of fuel metering and stuff for the coverage, or the actual sensor data back to the pit bunker.

Mr Coulthard & co didnt pick up on it anyway...

So that may well have made the choice by the team to pull him an interesting one...
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 26 May 2015, 12:50 (Ref:3541384)   #25
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That's funny how people think that public persons should be "perfect" and any emotional (towards good or bad) should be refrained. I miss those days when drivers and other sports people were genuinely opiniated and had something to say about anything. Now there's no expectations and you can so predict what the guy will say in an interview or press release. The first thing I expect from any driver is to be focused on winning, and if there's a real chance to do so and he has something or someone else making something wrong that prevents him to win the race is to be angry about that and display his feelings.