Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 16 Jul 2004, 14:37 (Ref:1038208)   #1
aportinga
Rookie

aportinga should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Actual VANDERBILT CUP

Hello!

I am looking for images and information on the actual Vanderbilt Cup. That is too say images of the Cup itself and not necessarily the race. In addition if anyone knows the where abouts of the Cup that would be great to know as well.

Thanks a ton!
Old 16 Jul 2004, 15:15 (Ref:1038250)   #2
racerkeke
Veteran

Canada
The Great Green North
racerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'd look up documents dating from 1996, which is the year that CART got the right to duplicate the cup to use as the trophy for the US 500 at Michigan. In 1997 they began giving the duplicate as a revolving trophy for the championship.

I recall seeing many photos and write-ups about the original cup around that time, including in the official program for the US 500 in 1996.

keke
Old 16 Jul 2004, 16:01 (Ref:1038294)   #3
aportinga
Rookie

We'll do - thanks!
Old 16 Jul 2004, 20:09 (Ref:1038528)   #4
aportinga
Rookie

I found all but one image of the original Cup on the Atlas TNF forum. That's it however. I am rather shocked that I cannot find a darn image of the original (outside of the one mentioned) or the 1996 re-make.
Old 18 Jul 2004, 00:45 (Ref:1039341)   #5
racerkeke
Veteran

Canada
The Great Green North
racerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
First, an apology. CART did not begin giving the replica Vanderbilt Cup as the championship trophy until 2000.

Perhaps this will help: an excerpt from the St Petersburg Times, Feb 21, 2003:

The Vanderbilt Cup was established in 1904 by William K. Vanderbilt Jr. as America's first major trophy in motorsports. A re-creation serves as the series championship trophy in CART.

The original is in the Smithsonian Institute. In 1996, a recreation was produced by Tiffany & Co. with the approval of the Vanderbilt family to serve as the trophy for the U.S. 500, a race created by CART to challenge the Indianapolis 500. In 2000, CART designated the Cup as its series championship trophy. Names of U.S. 500 winners from 1996-99 and CART series winners since 2000 are etched into the Cup.

The Cup is cast from about 135 troy ounces of sterling silver and is 21/2 feet tall. It features the image of William K. Vanderbilt Jr. driving a 90-horsepower Mercedes at Ormond Beach in 1904.

So perhaps if you contacted the Smithsonian?

keke
Old 18 Jul 2004, 00:47 (Ref:1039342)   #6
racerkeke
Veteran

Canada
The Great Green North
Also, see this URL, which has a not-very-good picture of the replica cup given to Paul Tracy in 2003.

http://www.paultracy.com/Paul_Tracy/..._19_LL_01.html

keke
Old 18 Jul 2004, 20:17 (Ref:1039802)   #7
Don Capps
Rookie

Don Capps should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Links to the W.K. Vanderbilt, II Cup:
http://www.newsday.com/extras/lihist...t/hsvanpg5.htm

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb....e/vancup15.jpg

Link to the George Vanderbilt Cup:

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb....e/cupvdb55.jpg
Old 20 Jul 2004, 17:25 (Ref:1041465)   #8
aportinga
Rookie

Thanks all.
Old 28 Jul 2004, 06:23 (Ref:1049474)   #9
James L. Kalie
Rookie

James L. Kalie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The last time I saw the real Vanderbilt Cup, complete with the dents that Nuvolari put in it when he set in it, was at Symbolic Motors in La Jolla California. That was about six months ago. I was there about a month ago and the trophy was not there. I was told that it had been sold to a collector but they wouldn't tell me who it was, the *******s. It is bad enough to sell something like that (it should be in a museum somewhere where we can all see it) but what the hell is the big secret? That is all I know but it is out there somewhere and they know where. Good luck!
Old 2 Aug 2004, 00:04 (Ref:1053632)   #10
Don Capps
Rookie

Don Capps should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The last time I saw the real Vanderbilt Cup, complete with the dents that Nuvolari put in it when he set in it, was at Symbolic Motors in La Jolla California.
Ah, that was "a Vanderbilt Cup" -- the GEORGE Vanderbilt Cup -- and definitely not THE William K. Vanderbilt, Jr Cup. Huge difference in the two cups. Of the two, the former is the real deal, the latter something a bit less....

That Symbolic have peddled it is scarcely a surprise, since had they souls they would sell those as well if the price was right. No offense, but most in that line of business are little different.