Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 22 Apr 2002, 07:51 (Ref:267040)   #1
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Petter Solberg's brilliant drive

Petter Solberg drove brilliantly on Saturday and Sunday to come back from losing more than 3.5 minutes on SS3 on Friday due to technical problems. He ended up being only 2.17 behind Gronholm in the final classification... Petter won 4 of the 7 special stages on Saturday, and 1 of the 6 on Sunday. Without doubt the drive of the rally - Petter was way down in 32nd position after SS3, and ended up in 5th... scoring 2 points after coming back from that situation - magnificent. He thrashed everyone on the rainy 11th and 12th special stages, winning with 17 and 35 seconds respectively... can you believe it. The best guy out there, he drove flat out of course, because he had nothing to lose, and he did roll his car once, but still managed to catch up all that time... He proves once again that he is one of - if not the fastest guy in WRC, only Panizzi has more stage wins than Petter this year. I really felt for him on Saturday when I heard his interview from Friday: "I work so hard all the time, and something always happens." He was really down, and admitted to it - thumbs up to Colin McRae for giving him support. But no matter what, Petter has proven himself, and his first WRC victory can surely not be far around the corner...
Old 22 Apr 2002, 08:42 (Ref:267068)   #2
SJ Spode
Veteran

SJ Spode should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, Petter is a real star & a reckon a win before the end of this year is definitely on the cards
Old 22 Apr 2002, 14:44 (Ref:267414)   #3
FG1
Veteran

FG1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am really looking forward to Petter's first win, but he will have to combine all that speed (which wins some stages) with some caution (which wins rallies). Marcus won Cyprus without winning a single stage, and he deserved to as well.

Petter really did have some bad luck in Cyprus though.

FG
Old 22 Apr 2002, 16:09 (Ref:267488)   #4
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought his co-driver's cry of dismay 'OH NO!' as they rolled was the most genuine thing I heard all weekend. Besides, I mean, Petter's complete inability to express his misery at the terrible day Friday. Now there is a man who understands he is racing against himself, and he will get it right very soon.

What could he do in Peugot?
Old 22 Apr 2002, 16:16 (Ref:267490)   #5
Speeddemon555
Veteran

Speeddemon555 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Colin McRae peptalk really motivated Solberg. I say give Petter the favorite at the Argentina Rally next month.
Old 22 Apr 2002, 18:08 (Ref:267604)   #6
Alpina
Veteran

Alpina should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No McRae is the favourite but Burns goes well in Argentina as well. I do think the stages will suit the Subaru though so watch out for Solberg and Makkinen.
Old 23 Apr 2002, 00:41 (Ref:267994)   #7
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How many laps will McCrash do before he does another stunt? You may make the highlight reel that way but you'll never win any championships.

Solberg has my vote. Right behind Harri of course.
Old 23 Apr 2002, 12:57 (Ref:268399)   #8
Laagri
Racer

Laagri should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, excellent drive indeed by Petter. Well done that man. His time will come.

Rather disappointed that Markko got caught out by the Colin rut though. But does anyone know why he (Märtin) was proportionately so much slower on day two than on day one? He seemed to be fine through the first three stages, even though Michael Park was having to re-write the pace notes as they went along, but from there on he just slipped quietly backwards...

I enjoyed listening to him speaking in English on the highlights programme. It's the first time I've heard him since, well, since I was his teacher about 7 years ago. He's improved no end, I must say!!

Last edited by Laagri; 23 Apr 2002 at 13:05.
Old 23 Apr 2002, 15:11 (Ref:268508)   #9
SJ Spode
Veteran

SJ Spode should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Laagri

The Ford team media releases cite brake problems and the misted front window as Markko's problems on day 2, and the roll didn;t help on day 3.

But both Petter & Markko will be successful before too long
Old 23 Apr 2002, 17:03 (Ref:268605)   #10
Liz
Veteran

P.S. I have to say this: Petter is the best looking of all the drivers! (Well, all the front running drivers. I caught a glimpse of a French driver who was explaining why something terminal had just happened to his car, that I wouldn't mind seeing a lot more often!)