Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 5 Nov 2002, 22:03 (Ref:422516)   #1
LateBraker
Rookie

LateBraker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
McNish to IRL?!?!

Just found this on an F1 site...

McNish says IRL test drive better than expected October 23 12:56
Scottish driver, Allan McNish, who was dropped from the Toyota Formula One team at the end of last season, tested Toyota's Penske Dallara Indy Racing League car last Monday at the Fontana Superspeedway.

McNish flew to the United States following the Japanese Grand Prix, a race in which he did not participate following an accident during qualifying. It was McNish's first drive round an oval track and he has told RACER Magazine that he enjoyed the experience more than he thought he would.

He said: "So far, I've enjoyed it quite a lot. I've enjoyed it more than I thought I would, in reality. And I've got a feel for the information the car is giving, and also what the changes we've made to the car are doing. I'm pleased by the speeds we've been able to run straight away. Considering it's the 2003-spec lower engine revs, and all the other rule modifications they've made to try and slow the cars, I think I've adapted to it well. The most nervous moment of the running was on the first actual run. I didn't know how to do it, where to go, or what to look for. Rick Mears took me out this morning and showed me what to try and do to get acclimatized to it."

Throughout his racing career, McNish has also tested for the McLaren, Benetton and Toyota Formula 1 teams, as well as driving for Toyota last season.
Old 5 Nov 2002, 22:12 (Ref:422522)   #2
greg.n
Racer

greg.n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He has good offers for sports cars at LeMans and in the ALMS, so I'm not sure where he's going to end up but if its in the IRL it will be in a toyota powered car for sure which means Penske or Ganassi as the two top toyota powered cars and toyota will be paying him. it may have something to do with his contract. Maybe he had another year to run on hos Toyota contract, maybe they are just doing him a favour.
Old 5 Nov 2002, 22:22 (Ref:422532)   #3
mueber
Rookie

United States
Fort Wayne, IN, USA
mueber should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In Derek Daily's report on Speed Channel's Sunday news program, he stated McNish is looking for a ride in CART. It supprised me because I read elsewhere that McNish was given a test by Penske, "as a favor to Toyota."
Old 5 Nov 2002, 23:54 (Ref:422626)   #4
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sounds to me like everybody who doesn't have a current drive was in Fontana looking for work. I really wish Nishy would drive for Bentley next year.
Old 6 Nov 2002, 05:08 (Ref:422712)   #5
SevenGrain
Veteran

United States
Berea, KY
SevenGrain should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is a lot of talk about McNish taking daMatta's seat at Newman Haas alongside Junqueira
Old 6 Nov 2002, 07:47 (Ref:422749)   #6
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Haas wants to run a second car but need the deniero.
Old 6 Nov 2002, 09:11 (Ref:422788)   #7
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
McNish could end up anywhere, but going from F1 to the IRL is a MASSIVE step down. F1 to CART or ALMS is far more appropriate for a driver of his talent.
Old 6 Nov 2002, 10:10 (Ref:422818)   #8
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd have said that Sportscars would be his most likely options, but apparently he has another year to run on his Toyota contract, so then i would say the IRL would be on for hi in that case.

The Da Matta swap deal seems logical, maybe a bit too logical, but as macdaddy said funds are required for Newman-Haas to have a second car.
Old 6 Nov 2002, 11:52 (Ref:422882)   #9
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well Haas ought to have Funds Galore after what he got from Toyota to let Cris go. He can use some of that.