Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 6 Jan 2005, 22:13 (Ref:1194793)   #1
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Plan B

As you all know, I had intended not to do any marshalling in 2005 (or ever again for that matter). I had been feeling very un-confident and had reached the stage where I was doubting my abilities.

However, after I posted my initial thread, the feedback I got from my fellow marshals made me start to question my decision to give up. I have since spoken with lots of people who basically have told me I'd be a fool to turn my back on the sport and have encouraged me to continue.

With that encouragement and the support I've had from all of you I am now giving you all advance warning - I'll be around, complete with broomstick, for a little while yet!

Thank you all for helping me see the light.

Sheila
x

Last edited by Sheila M; 6 Jan 2005 at 22:14.
Old 6 Jan 2005, 22:34 (Ref:1194816)   #2
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good Girl, correct answer!
Old 6 Jan 2005, 22:47 (Ref:1194824)   #3
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yay, i can cone play in your pit lane now!! Hehe!
Old 6 Jan 2005, 22:53 (Ref:1194826)   #4
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Excellent news Mrs M!

I didn't comment before to your initial post about quitting as I have felt the same in the past.
Marshalling colleagues are not like any other breed of person that I know and they/we know a good marshal when they/we see one.

You know I think very highly of your capabilities and I know that countless others feel the same.

I look forward to seeing you in your probans once again this season

MM
Old 6 Jan 2005, 23:12 (Ref:1194841)   #5
Stevespurr
Veteran

Stevespurr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Look forward to seeing you Sheila
Old 7 Jan 2005, 17:44 (Ref:1195392)   #6
DougK
Racer

United Kingdom
Berkshire
DougK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
After taking a two year break I am back for a few days in 2005 (home moving permitting!). You can get very discouraged if you have a few bad/dull meetings in a row ( I had 4 meetings in a row where i did diddly squat - not even pushed a broken down car!)....but believe me you miss the meetings after a while!

There is always a job to do so if you are bored or un-confident in one area try another.... I have a urge to do some flagging this year!

Welcome back in 2005
Old 7 Jan 2005, 17:56 (Ref:1195399)   #7
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sometimes, someone might just say something to you that upsets you and makes you feel like you're not perhaps as good as you thought you were!

This knocks your confidence for six and often takes a while to overcome. The beauty about the majority of marshals though is that there are enough people to offer support and words of wisdom to make you reconsider.

Last edited by Mark Mitchell; 7 Jan 2005 at 17:56.
Old 7 Jan 2005, 19:55 (Ref:1195460)   #8
Peter Harding
Veteran

England
Colchester
Peter Harding should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougK
After taking a two year break I am back for a few days in 2005 (home moving permitting!). You can get very discouraged if you have a few bad/dull meetings in a row ( I had 4 meetings in a row where i did diddly squat - not even pushed a broken down car!)....but believe me you miss the meetings after a while!
Sent availability form to Norwich address. Hope to see you during 2005. (and Kevin?)
Old 7 Jan 2005, 21:36 (Ref:1195511)   #9
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Mitchell
Sometimes, someone might just say something to you that upsets you and makes you feel like you're not perhaps as good as you thought you were!

This knocks your confidence for six and often takes a while to overcome. The beauty about the majority of marshals though is that there are enough people to offer support and words of wisdom to make you reconsider.
Oddly enough Mark, you've hit the nail right on the head there!
Old 7 Jan 2005, 23:22 (Ref:1195579)   #10
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila M
Oddly enough Mark, you've hit the nail right on the head there!

It's not that odd me dear!
Old 7 Jan 2005, 23:31 (Ref:1195589)   #11
Snapper Baz
Race Official
Veteran

England
Las Vegas, NV. USA
Snapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I bet it was one of those nasty blokes as well...we are always putting our foot in it!
Old 8 Jan 2005, 01:03 (Ref:1195625)   #12
Dutch chap
Veteran

European Union
Holland
Dutch chap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My experience: from time to time you ask yourself if it’s all worth it. All the time you put in and so on, and for what?!

During the last 27 years I took two sabbatical years and in fact 2004 was going to be my third. But….. around september there was a meeting I absolutely didn’t want to miss out (Rob Slotemaker memorial meeting, I knew Rob, so I didn’t want to miss that one), so I was there to do things I like to do: marshalling! From there on I was back in the game because I found out I’d missed it.

I think we all have this feeling once in a while, especially when you are putting in a lot of time and effort.
Old 8 Jan 2005, 01:55 (Ref:1195644)   #13
Ian Smith
Racer

England
Tamworth Staff's
Ian Smith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
shiela - I have been very lax and hadn't sen the preposterous notion of you packing up - If i am not with Melanie the only other my missus will alow me to play with is you . She insists I have to have a responsible person to order me about - so sorry as i am not ready to pack up yet you just have to keep going untill i do.
Love and Kisses DAD.
Old 8 Jan 2005, 21:57 (Ref:1196112)   #14
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Smith
shiela - I have been very lax and hadn't sen the preposterous notion of you packing up - If i am not with Melanie the only other my missus will alow me to play with is you . She insists I have to have a responsible person to order me about - so sorry as i am not ready to pack up yet you just have to keep going untill i do.
Love and Kisses DAD.
Ah, honorary Dad! Does your missus know that I am not a responsible person at all? However, I will gladly order you about if Mel can spare you!

Thanks to everyone for their kind words - I'm beginning to feel wanted again!

Sheila
x
Old 10 Jan 2005, 10:28 (Ref:1197093)   #15
DougK
Racer

United Kingdom
Berkshire
DougK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Peter,

I Still have the Norwich house (but about to be rented out) so I got the forms.

Hopefully will get to a couple of 750 meetings, maybe if not at Snett. perhaps Silverstone - as long as you find me a decent post!
(Shame you don't go to Coombe or Thruxton as they are nearest now)

Kevin became a "dad" last year so obviously this has reduced his available time , but he has mentioned wanting to do a couple of days this year and like me he prefers the 750 meetings.

So don't write us off yet!

Doug

Last edited by DougK; 10 Jan 2005 at 10:28.
Old 24 Jan 2005, 01:32 (Ref:1208289)   #16
SILVER CLERK
Rookie

United Kingdom
SILVER CLERK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Happy New Year Sheila !
Keep up the good work ,you have always worked hard and helped many drivers and marshals and earned their respect,you should be proud !!
Old 24 Jan 2005, 22:40 (Ref:1209016)   #17
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVER CLERK
Happy New Year Sheila !
Keep up the good work ,you have always worked hard and helped many drivers and marshals and earned their respect,you should be proud !!
Why thank you! (Sheila courtseys).

Your comments and those of my colleagues have certainly made all the difference. Roll on March and the beginning of the season!
Old 29 Jan 2005, 16:56 (Ref:1212694)   #18
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sheila,
I remember you starting out!
Dare I mention Paul and your caravan at Donington and Brian Lowe in the same breath? That was a long time ago and you may well hit me.....but wasn't it fun?!? Remember the good times, eh?
If I can drag my old decrepit bod back onto the bank for yet another year then what are you worrying about? Just don't let anyone else's opinion get you down - if I did that then I'd spend all my time in bed hiding under the covers!
As I'm thinking about what I will be doing this year, you might find me in the pits with you - and then you'll have something real to worry about!
See you around - you have been warned!!!!!
Old 29 Jan 2005, 22:12 (Ref:1212831)   #19
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelagh
Sheila,
I remember you starting out!
Dare I mention Paul and your caravan at Donington and Brian Lowe in the same breath? That was a long time ago and you may well hit me.....but wasn't it fun?!? Remember the good times, eh?
If I can drag my old decrepit bod back onto the bank for yet another year then what are you worrying about? Just don't let anyone else's opinion get you down - if I did that then I'd spend all my time in bed hiding under the covers!
As I'm thinking about what I will be doing this year, you might find me in the pits with you - and then you'll have something real to worry about!
See you around - you have been warned!!!!!
Oh the good old days - when I was frightened to death of racing cars and drivers!

Shelagh, if you want to work in the pit lane you will be more than welcome. Someone with your experience and expertise will always have a place. Exit lights instantly spring to mind - flaggies do exit lights incredibly well when we don't have our usual personnel available. Alternatively, tea and coffee making skills are equally appreciated!

Any time, give me a shout - I'll find you something to do!

Sheila
Old 29 Jan 2005, 23:06 (Ref:1212858)   #20
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Suddenly I've developed a cold sweat & gone very nervous. the thought of you 2 formidable ladies together..............add in Viv Ayres (a Clerk with the 750MC) and you 3 coulde take over the Motor Racing World..............HELP...
Old 30 Jan 2005, 21:08 (Ref:1213362)   #21
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk
Suddenly I've developed a cold sweat & gone very nervous. the thought of you 2 formidable ladies together..............add in Viv Ayres (a Clerk with the 750MC) and you 3 coulde take over the Motor Racing World..............HELP...
Dave, you've forgotten to add Hazel Carter to the list, not to mention the redoubtable Jenny Birrell!

This could well be the start of a new thread methinks!