Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Tributes Forum

Old 1 Apr 2004, 10:29 (Ref:926177)   #1
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Roland Ratzenberger

4 July, 1960, Salzburg, Austria - 30 April, 1994, Imola, Italy.

Although it sounds cynical it is probably true that had only he died that fateful weekend ten years ago, nothing in Formula 1 would have changed. He was only an unimportant backmarker in an unimportant team.

I followed his career from his FFord days. He worked his way into F1 the hard way; in Japan he drove everything, and was competitive in everything he drove. He raced against, and sometimes with, other journeymen such as Mauro Martini, Pierre-Henri Raphanel, and the late Jeff Krosnoff. During this time, most casual fans over here forgot about him. Out of sight, out of mind. Only the occasional news snippet was an indication that he was still tirelessly working towards his goal. He got the F1 contract shortly after a promising test with an IndyCar team (I forget which); I was happy to see him fulfill his ambition of racing in F1, and I am glad he got to race there when it still had some sporting value. But I wish to god he had got that IndyCar drive.

Only when one is forgotten one has truly passed away. This sentiment can be found on many headstones over here, and it's probably just a phrase. Still, someone who followed his career from afar, and who he didn't know existed, hasn't forgotten. I was, and have remained to this day, his fan.

Here's to the memory of a backmarker - rest in peace Roland.