Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 25 Jul 2001, 11:20 (Ref:121498)   #1
gallop
Rookie

gallop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jordan fires Frentzen

News is just coming through here in Germany that H.-H. Frentzen has been fired by Jordan. A statement on Frentzen's home page says it seems unlikely that he will be racing at Hockenheim this weekend. So who will be his replacement???
Old 25 Jul 2001, 11:27 (Ref:121503)   #2
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sky News just flashed this one up.

Ricardo Zonta's got the gig, certainly for Hockenheim - they're uncertain what they'll be doing after that.

Apparently, there was a "frank exchange of views" after Silverstone, which of course is PR-speak for a blazing argument.
Old 25 Jul 2001, 11:30 (Ref:121506)   #3
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Frentzen sacked by Jordon

Heinz Harald Frentzen has been sacked with immediate effct by Jordon GP. Riccardo Zonta is to replace HHF for the German GP this weekend.

Stephen.
Old 25 Jul 2001, 11:34 (Ref:121507)   #4
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!

*BOING BOING BOING*
terrible shame for frentzen, but i am so happy for ricardo! only last night i was settling down to the fact that i'd have to support a dtm driver next year.

come on ricardo, now's the time to show that evil arse villeneuve what you're really made of
Old 25 Jul 2001, 11:41 (Ref:121512)   #5
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
WOW !!!!!

I can't believe it. So many questions.

How will Zonta go (stick it to JV mate )?

Will Frenzie go to Toyota?

What about Alan McNish - Is it over for him now?

Is there a recording of this DISAGREEMENT ?
Old 25 Jul 2001, 11:45 (Ref:121514)   #6
Suzy
Retired
Veteran

Suzy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am amazed - but not totally surprised. I actually thought that if either Jordan driver was for the push it would be Trulli who has been less-than-complimentary about the team recently. In my opinion, it's not the best PR move for Eddie Jordan - firing a German driver a couple of days before his "home" Grand Prix may not be the best way to win fans and influence people.

But, "an exchange of views" does tend to mean something pretty ferocious (I really want to know what Heinz said!). Hopefully we'll get Heinz's version pretty soon - and nothing fudged either. There were a lot of "Frentzen to retire" stories not so long ago as well and it's possible that they might be part of the reason. I'm clutching at straws until I hear H-HF's version of the story - not just a one-sided press release from the team.

The only explanation I can come up with for Heinz's decision to step down is that it may have something to do with his Monaco accident. He suffered bruising on the brain and had to sit out the next race - who knows if it was more serious than we all originally anticipated. He may have decided that risking his life every fortnight just isn't worth it (remember he has a baby girl). I know a bit about Neuroscience/Neurology because that's my field of work and I edit quite a lot of material on the subject.

All I can say is that I hope he doesn't stay out of a drive for long. He's worth too much for that and he's such a nice guy. Last year at a test session, he posed for a picture with my youngest (handicapped) brother even though he was ill (he went home afterwards) and, in spite of being sent home, he willingly signed all autographs for everybody first.

Kind regards

Suzy
Old 25 Jul 2001, 11:56 (Ref:121516)   #7
gallop
Rookie

gallop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OK, here's a rough translation of the statement Heinz-Harald made on his home page:

"Because Jordan unexpectedly terminated my contract, I will almost certainly not be racing at Hockenheim this weekend.

I emphatically oppose the reasons given for this termination, and reject it completely.

I have instructed my lawyer to act on behalf of my interests.

At this point in time, it is not possible for me to make further statements."

That's all so far, but expect some dirty washing to be washed in public very soon...
Old 25 Jul 2001, 12:14 (Ref:121522)   #8
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I merged the two topics that had started, no posts have been lost.

This is a terrible shock. I've lost one of the guys I cheer for. But Jordan does seem to have lost the way for the past two seasons being unable to capitalize on the momentum gained during the 1999 season. This move makes it more likely that Trulli will stay at Jordan.

Whither HHF? Toyota is mentioned, which has to make McNish uneasy, but I wouldn't be surprised to see HHF in a Jag before the season is out, or alternatively. I have always thought he'd be perfect for McLaren, if the latest rumours about Hakkinen prove to be true, Frentzen would be a fine choice for Woking in 2002.
Old 25 Jul 2001, 12:25 (Ref:121526)   #9
Maisie
Veteran

Maisie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
WHA....????
Old 25 Jul 2001, 12:34 (Ref:121527)   #10
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by bella
*BOING BOING BOING*

come on ricardo, now's the time to show that evil arse villeneuve what you're really made of
Most people and fans might agree with that point. He was treated shabbily by BAR and hopefully he can impress people enough at the race to secure a Jordan contract for next year perhaps.

Shame about HHF. If anything, I'd go with the fact that Frentzen has been critical of the team in the past few months regarding the fact JT has been whooping his arse all season long.

And I think this may be the end of the line for Heinz. I don't think Toyota will take him, as Salo and McNish already have contracts, as do the two Jaguar drivers Irvine and PDLR, unless anyone of those four are 'mysteriously sacked.'!
Old 25 Jul 2001, 12:47 (Ref:121531)   #11
downforce
Veteran

India
Bangalore
downforce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Finally!

Phew!

Alesi Next please!!!!

Frenzy, u R good u WERE good but u never proved ur point!

Jaguar maybe an ok place to sleep in till the end of the season!

Adiossa!

Fernando in a Jordan...yep!yep!

I think Nick's blocking @ Silverstone was the catalyst in EJ's mind.

Last edited by downforce; 25 Jul 2001 at 12:50.
Old 25 Jul 2001, 12:48 (Ref:121532)   #12
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I must say I was surprised at the news, but I guess its a matter of what have you done lately instead of what have you done in the past. Surely Zonta will be pulling out all the stops to impress and could secure the seat for next year, but EJ may be about to introduce the next big unknown star in F1 has he has done in the past. Who can say?
Old 25 Jul 2001, 12:56 (Ref:121536)   #13
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ironically, ITV-f1.com just uploaded an "A lap of Hockenheim with Heinz Herald Frentzen".

Indeed, HHF has been underperforming relative to his teammate this year and as much as he is a nice boy, his leaving might give an opportunity to drivers who deserve it much better. The Jordan is a quick car especially in Quals and so, is an excellent chance for others to prove their speed.
Old 25 Jul 2001, 12:57 (Ref:121537)   #14
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I cannot believe it at all. I really really cannot. Still in shock, cannot type anything properly. Seriously.

Old 25 Jul 2001, 12:59 (Ref:121539)   #15
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i don't care what people say, ricardo is a driver who, given the chance, could do as well as any of your over-hyped prima donnas. it's a shame that frentzen had to go, but if they've had a disagreement, they won't work well together, and they won't be at 100%.

so be happy for ricardo, and sad for frentzen. that's not too much to ask, is it?
Old 25 Jul 2001, 13:06 (Ref:121540)   #16
Mania
Veteran

Mania should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think its too early to put the blame on anyone. Jordan has'nt done himself any favours by disrupting his team a few days before a grand prix. Maybe Eddie is starved for attention - maybe Frentzen made a pass at Eddie's wife....

Either way, it truly is a bombshell. I'm happy for Zonta but I'd like to find out more. We probably will find soon enough.

Last edited by Mania; 25 Jul 2001 at 13:09.
Old 25 Jul 2001, 13:06 (Ref:121541)   #17
Greg Murray
Rookie

Greg Murray should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Well I think you my See Thomas Enge or Justin Wilson drive for Jordan while Ricardo Zonta going to Sauber replacing Nick Heidfeld or Kimi Raikonen.While Unlucky,again Alan McNish first Lola now Toyota with HHF replacing him.
Old 25 Jul 2001, 13:13 (Ref:121544)   #18
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
nope. zonta turned down sauber last year.
and he already knows the team, knows the car, why waste time getting another driver into it all when their third drivers is a very capable young man (ooer, i sound like my gran..)?
Old 25 Jul 2001, 13:37 (Ref:121548)   #19
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
According to Bella, it's a shame for Frentzen and a good opportunity for Ricardo. I thought about an alignment Trulli-Zonta for 2002, but I watch them together now.
About Frentzen, I think there isn't a good think he can made an agreement with Toyota, because it means the finish of the opportunity of Allan McNish to take his deserved drive in F1 after more of ten years of waiting. Actually there are a few drivers who must waited some years to be in F1 (like Irvine or the same Frentzen in early 90s) and others who are in aeternal waiting (Müller, Kristensen, and the list continues). Frentzen could be at Jaguar or Prost, or as a test driver in one top team, like Panis last year.
Old 25 Jul 2001, 13:53 (Ref:121553)   #20
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
The press release says that HHF has instructed his lawyer and therefore has been told to make absolutely no comment on the matter.

However, you don't have to be a brain surgeon (sorry Bella or whoever it is who works with brains) to see that HHF has been ill at ease for the majority of this season. Now, what about Sato getting promotion from F3 to Jordan. You've all forgotten about our little friend at BAR haven't you!

Stephen.
Old 25 Jul 2001, 13:56 (Ref:121555)   #21
LucaBadoer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Harrogate, N Yorks.
LucaBadoer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"Anything can happen in Formula One - and it usually does!"
Old 25 Jul 2001, 14:19 (Ref:121568)   #22
bghaw
Rookie

bghaw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
NEedless to say i was shocked when i read the news on HHF getting sacked by EJ. But i'm sure that a man as talented and skilled as HHF will have no problem finding a drive for next season, or perhaps even for the remainder of this season. We all know that contracts in F1 nowadays, means pretty much tit, so i really wouldn't be suprised to see HHF drive for Jag, Zonta to stay with Jordan this year, JV to Jordan next year, Zonta to BAR, PDL to Prost??/Minardi??/Toyota?? I doubt there will be any move for current drivers to Toyota as Salo and Mcnish have spent so much time acclimitising to the car that replacing either one of them will set Toyota's development even further back then they already seem to be. I guess we'll all see in due time.
Old 25 Jul 2001, 14:22 (Ref:121569)   #23
Run Free
Racer

Run Free should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Green
You've all forgotten about our little friend at BAR haven't you!

Stephen.
Our little friend ?????
Old 25 Jul 2001, 14:34 (Ref:121573)   #24
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Sato, who is BAR's test driver and is also sponsored by Honda in F3. Get the connection now?

Stephen
Old 25 Jul 2001, 14:53 (Ref:121580)   #25
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
oh no. sato doesn't know jordan. why would bar want him to go to jordan, taking their secrets with him?