Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 22 Jun 2001, 22:12 (Ref:108422)   #1
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ralf Schumacher Signs with Williams Until 2004

Ralf Schumacher has extended his contract with Williams until 2004. So, looks like he won't be going to McLaren then. I wonder where this leaves Button. Will there still be a seat left for him when his contract at Benetton comes to an end?

Quote:
From F1-Live.com

The Williams team is delighted to announce that an agreement has been reached with Ralf Schumacher to extend his contract to drive for the team to the end of the 2004 season, making a six year partnership with the BMW powered outfit.

This news will put paid to all the rumours circulating about the German's future and talk of a contract with the Mercedes powered McLaren team. Sir Frank Williams is delighted with the news and Ralf couldn't be happier.

"I am very happy that we have reached an agreement to extend our relationship until 2004,” Ralf smiled. “I am looking forward to continuation of our successful partnership with WilliamsF1, BMW and Michelin and believe we will reach our targets together."

"A very sound decision by the team which we are confident will be proven to be correct time and time again in the future,” added Sir Frank. “This signals our intend to continue the progress we have made together over the last two and half years towards our world championship ambitions."
Old 22 Jun 2001, 22:26 (Ref:108429)   #2
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Just as expected !
Old 22 Jun 2001, 23:03 (Ref:108435)   #3
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
3 more years - that's a lot of humbe pies for Dino and AMoffat; I'd better get started:O O O O O O
Old 22 Jun 2001, 23:12 (Ref:108438)   #4
Guy Goddard
Racer

Guy Goddard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A good move for Ralf and Frank..but Button is still in the picture is it possible that if Montoya does not finish well in the second half of the season that they will replace him with Button who would drive for peanuts to get into a half decent motor???
Old 22 Jun 2001, 23:18 (Ref:108441)   #5
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by Guy Goddard
A good move for Ralf and Frank..but Button is still in the picture is it possible that if Montoya does not finish well in the second half of the season that they will replace him with Button who would drive for peanuts to get into a half decent motor???
My hot tip is that the bunsen will remain at Benneton for one more year, and JPM will remain at Williams for next year. JPM will either fire up or be fired up after that. That's my hot tip.
Old 23 Jun 2001, 00:32 (Ref:108456)   #6
RALFANATOR
Racer

RALFANATOR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ralf and Willams Bmw whot a pairing I think Big brother might be in for a real hard year in "02"

My tip for the second seat is a swap with TCF going to Benetton and Jb back to home
Old 23 Jun 2001, 01:07 (Ref:108474)   #7
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Indeed...

I think the Ralf/Williams BMW/Michelin pairing is going to be an excellent package next year. In fact...Michael might make a mistake by deciding to stay in F1 far too long like what Mika and Damon had done.

And i never expect Ralf to turn to Mclaren for next year anyway...
Old 23 Jun 2001, 02:32 (Ref:108497)   #8
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
As expected Ralf Schumacher is to stay at Williams... If Juan Pablo Montoya does not start delivering soon,very soon especiallly after all of the hype! he will be gone..

Jenson Button who is still very much under contract to Sir Frank Williams will get his seat back, the seat he should have been in this season! Montoya can go and "fly a kite" as far as I am concerned.

BMW Williams= Ralf and Jenson

Old 23 Jun 2001, 03:18 (Ref:108507)   #9
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
I think it is interesting that Montoya had no mention - Don't the teams usually announce both drivers at the same time - Are they still waiting to see if they'll keep Montoya?

Anyway, This is excellent news for Williams, BMW, Ralf and AMoffat.

RALF will be drivers champion in 2002 or 2003 at the latest.
Old 23 Jun 2001, 04:13 (Ref:108511)   #10
Crash and Burn
Racer

Crash and Burn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DC is staying at Mclaren to, what is the world coming too
Old 23 Jun 2001, 06:01 (Ref:108515)   #11
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by Wrex
I think it is interesting that Montoya had no mention - Don't the teams usually announce both drivers at the same time - Are they still waiting to see if they'll keep Montoya?

Anyway, This is excellent news for Williams, BMW, Ralf and AMoffat.

RALF will be drivers champion in 2002 or 2003 at the latest.
There was mention of Montoya:

He (Frank Williams) in turn refused to make any confirmation on Montoya's position
with the team and said: "I can't make any comment about our
second driver before 2003.''

It would seem that Frank Wiliams is waiting until the middle of next year before deciding on the fate of JPM - this will give JPM time to sette down and prove himself, as well as give the bunsen a chance if and when Renault get's their act together.
Old 23 Jun 2001, 20:36 (Ref:108746)   #12
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
I never expected Ralf to go to McLaren - if he is looking at being champion in the next couple of years (which he most definitely is), then Williams is the best place to do it. When their car is reliable they (Ralf, Williams, BMW and Michelin) are a formidable combination as they proved in Canada, and more than capable of beating TGF and Ferrari.

Ralf will bring the WDC back to Williams.
Old 23 Jun 2001, 22:07 (Ref:108818)   #13
Dino IV
Veteran

MagnetON
NL
Dino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yihaa, again one of the ow-so-scarse topcars dissappears into a long term contract with 'just some' driver ...

In the 'medieval days' it was only a matter of time before the real top guns got into the top cars. In modern F1 it's obviously impossible to match the best drivers with the best cars at a certain point in time.

It's only waiting for Mika and DC to sign again for McLaren to make the front rows an actual brickyard ... again.
Old 23 Jun 2001, 22:59 (Ref:108833)   #14
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
Speed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Jersound
BMW Williams= Ralf and Jenson
Do you really think Jenson is better than Juan ?
Old 24 Jun 2001, 02:14 (Ref:108899)   #15
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Jenson is smoother, nicer, and a lot more consistent in performance in the Williams as much as Juan is more on the edge, aggressive and quick.
Old 24 Jun 2001, 06:58 (Ref:108918)   #16
Guy Goddard
Racer

Guy Goddard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Contracts????????????

After the deal was done with Frank and Ralf I am suprised on the lenght of contract drivers are commiting too with Ralf on till 2004 like his brother and DC signing apparently till 2003/4.
Back in the 80's and early 90's drivers normally signed only a 1/2 year deal to keep there options open as a car can be good one year and bad the next.
I know contracts are there to be broken but any thoughts as to why drivers are going for long term deals and not leaving the door open to go to another team?????????

Guy
Old 24 Jun 2001, 10:56 (Ref:108963)   #17
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I guess the cars now are more reliable through the years, and basically the contracts with drivers are based on the engines deals, logically I am excluding TGF from that procedure...
Old 24 Jun 2001, 20:50 (Ref:109258)   #18
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
Speed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Gt_R
Jenson is smoother, nicer, and a lot more consistent in performance in the Williams as much as Juan is more on the edge, aggressive and quick.
Again... Do you really think Jenson is better than Juan ?