Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 11 Apr 2006, 15:40 (Ref:1578635)   #1
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A.J. Allmendinger to Red Bull/Toyota/NASCAR in 2007?

Quote:
Murmurs in Champ Car circles say Red Bull, which carries a personal services contract with Allmendinger, might like to see the young American in Nextel Cup, where it hopes to strike big in 2007 in partnership with Toyota. With so much money and fame up for grabs in NASCAR, it has become a challenge to keep promising open-wheel drivers away from the France family circus. It could prove difficult for Russo and Champ Car to hold onto Allmendinger, especially if he starts winning.
(Source: Autoweek)

I think a "believing when seeing"-approach is to be preferred when it comes to this rumour and personally I'd prefer to see him stay in Champ Car.
Old 11 Apr 2006, 16:00 (Ref:1578650)   #2
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The reality is that there are 3 forms of car racing which can be considered a career peak - Formula 1, NASCAR and WRC. Everything else is either a stepping stone or a consolation prize. If Red BUll don't want to back ChampCar anymore, and AJ shows potential when testing a NASCAR (I doubt they'd make the decision before testing him), then what benefit is there to them of having him race in ChampCars. Unless Speed flops in F1 this season there's no home for him there either.
Old 11 Apr 2006, 16:06 (Ref:1578656)   #3
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Red Bull is a personal sponsor. If they leave he still has his ChampCar ride. And he's been very vocal in his focus on ChampCar.
Old 11 Apr 2006, 17:30 (Ref:1578698)   #4
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not up on NASCAR rules, but wouldn't it be near impossible for A.J. to simply switch over to Nextel Cup in 2007 without first doing the hard graft and proving himself in the lower leagues like Paul Tracy and Ambrose are doing.

Sounds like someone has seen his Red Bull association and put 2+2 together for the rumour mill. Surely Red Bull has a young American driver on their books with the stockcar experience required.
Old 11 Apr 2006, 17:38 (Ref:1578702)   #5
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This rumor keeps on appearing all the time. this is the 7th time I've seen it to day, and its been round a few days now.
Old 11 Apr 2006, 18:16 (Ref:1578731)   #6
pink69
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire / Nottingham
pink69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I'm sure on a personal note he'd prefer to stay in CCWS, but when your sponsor says go, you have to go with the money!
Old 11 Apr 2006, 18:25 (Ref:1578739)   #7
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It also wouldn't be the first time that NASCAR picks up younger American talent from going into open wheel racing or from.....
Old 11 Apr 2006, 18:41 (Ref:1578747)   #8
kingfloopy
Veteran

United States
Iowa, USA
kingfloopy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's possible this could be true. Red Bull is rumoured to be looking at an experienced NASCAR driver (Harvick?, Jarrett?) coupled with a younger, less experienced driver. This doesn't seem like too far of a stretch. A lot of other NASCAR teams have used this idea. But it would make a lot more sense for them to hire a younger driver from either Toyotas truck series program or from the Busch series who has experience with stock cars.

It would be very hard for Allmendinger to move directly to Cup. All that would do is make him and the team look bad. He would be at a huge disadvantage as the team would be out of the top-35 in owner points at the start ofthe season and would need to qualify on speed for the first 5 races. The best move would be for him to try some Busch or truck races next season to see if he can run well on ovals (similar to Paul Tracy). If he can run well then more power to him and if he can't then he hasn't moved too far away from open wheel racing to not return.

J.D.
Old 11 Apr 2006, 19:01 (Ref:1578762)   #9
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Newbury Park, CA, United States
Muzza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Someone at Autoweek forgot to inform Allmendinger that he is interested in making the switch.
Old 12 Apr 2006, 08:37 (Ref:1579243)   #10
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
Amar7605 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't know about this one. Unless Red Bull wants AJ to race in a select group of NASCAR races in 2007 (i.e. Daytona, Indy, Sears Point, Watkins Glen) I doubt that AJ is going to be in NASCAR next season.

If Red Bull wants to sponsor a driver in NASCAR, then it would be better if they sponsored a current Busch or Truck driver who has great potential to be in Nextel Cup in 2007. Otherwise, AJ would have to go to Busch first, and if he is not good enough to be in Cup, then pushing AJ into NASCAR would be a bust for Red Bull.

Besides, does AJ have a desire to be in NASCAR? I don't think so. To me, he seems like he needs to win a Champ Car title first before he thinks about doing something else.
Old 12 Apr 2006, 10:21 (Ref:1579315)   #11
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amar7605
If Red Bull wants to sponsor a driver in NASCAR, then it would be better if they sponsored a current Busch or Truck driver who has great potential to be in Nextel Cup in 2007. Otherwise, AJ would have to go to Busch first, and if he is not good enough to be in Cup, then pushing AJ into NASCAR would be a bust for Red Bull.
Team Red Bull will field two cars, and it's widely believed they will, just liked Evernham Racing did, have one veteran and a newcomer - possibly from outside the normal stock-car circles - in the two cars.

Also, remember that A.J. has yet to win a Champ Car race in 28 starts. What's to say that he wouldn't be interested if Red Bull came - with factory support from one of the biggest spenders in motorsport, Toyota - and said: "Hey A.J., how's Champ Car working out for you anyway? You're not feeling like you're stuck without making any progress, are you? Perhaps a chance of scenery, while making a lot more cash than you do now, would be something to consider? Here's our number, don't be a stranger...".

Allmendinger wouldn't be the first, nor the last, driver lured to NASCAR by the almighty $$$.
Old 12 Apr 2006, 10:40 (Ref:1579332)   #12
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
"Perhaps a chance of scenery" is obviously meant to say "Perhaps a change of scenery".

The 10-minute rule really annoys me sometimes.
Old 12 Apr 2006, 17:25 (Ref:1579610)   #13
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
AJ is open wheel through and through, so I find such a scenario highly unlikely but I guess you can never say never.
Old 12 Apr 2006, 21:21 (Ref:1579794)   #14
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I recall AJ saying something along the lines of 'ovals aren't really my thing', I believe it was at Milwaukee last year. While the almighty dollar can speak volumes, but I would be surprised if he made that move.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 12 Apr 2006, 21:21 (Ref:1579796)   #15
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
Amar7605 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree - anything's possible.
Old 17 Apr 2006, 13:36 (Ref:1585822)   #16
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.statesmanjournal.com/apps...604170326/1018
Old 17 Apr 2006, 15:33 (Ref:1585866)   #17
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
That's good then. Seems it was just rumors nothing concrete...Glad its confirmed by AJ.