Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 14 Oct 2001, 06:41 (Ref:160318)   #1
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are they racing with slicks anyway?

I'm just watching the Japanese Grand Prix, and you can clearly see that Michilin tires are practically slicks when they are going on. The threads have been worn to nothing. Looking at Montoya's final pit stop, you really would think they were slicks...

Bridgestone have already complained about this problem, but so far it does not appear that anyone is going to do anything about it.

I know many racing fans (including myself) would like to see them go back to real slicks, but this appears unlikely with the FIA. So shouldn't they at least level the playing field? Some sort of regulation about the depth of the threads at the end of the race? (like they have for the wooden planks under the car?)
Old 14 Oct 2001, 07:27 (Ref:160321)   #2
f1grandprixshop
Veteran

f1grandprixshop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
let's wait for the verdict....
Old 14 Oct 2001, 07:42 (Ref:160326)   #3
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is a level playing field, each team has the same oppotunity to take advantage of the current lack of regulations on the subject so I don't see the problem.
Old 14 Oct 2001, 07:43 (Ref:160328)   #4
drexel
Racer

drexel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They need someone to challenge Ferrari so they'll give them a bit of slack for the time being. I doubt their tyres will be getting scrubbed next year since Michellin should have more information to help the tyres.
Old 14 Oct 2001, 07:54 (Ref:160333)   #5
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At the moment Michelin are making a mockery of the tyre regulations & i think it's time the FIA either decided to police the law or just go back to slicks.
Old 14 Oct 2001, 08:05 (Ref:160336)   #6
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
As long as Ferrari doesn't complain about that, everything's OK.
Old 14 Oct 2001, 08:49 (Ref:160347)   #7
f1grandprixshop
Veteran

f1grandprixshop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
where's the typical Ron Dennis?
Old 14 Oct 2001, 11:55 (Ref:160419)   #8
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ron Dennis, isnt he talking to Michelin.

They should just go back to slicks, its what everyone wants and could be the only way to stop F1 falling into disrepute.
Old 14 Oct 2001, 17:18 (Ref:160544)   #9
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Slick tyres would make much more sense, we don't want a run of disqualifications. They are the worst thing that can happen in thepublic's eyes- seeing a race, getting one result, and then later being told another one entirely. I don't think slicks are neccesarily mroe dangerous anyway.
Old 15 Oct 2001, 01:14 (Ref:160687)   #10
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Williamses today were starting the race with tyres that had already done 20-odd laps!! That's not right. If this is "not in the spirit of the rules" then I don't know what is and I for one hope they get penalised. It's not fair and it ain't proper racing.

With regard to goign back to slicks: fine, so long as there are other rule changes to slow the cars down otherwise. I for one think a manual, stick-operated gearchange should be next on the list.
Old 15 Oct 2001, 04:30 (Ref:160722)   #11
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
You will remember that Michelin did ask the FIA for clarification on the result of wear on the tyre, but they were fobbed off by the FIA.
Nevertheless, Bridgestone has stated categorically that next season they will protest if this scrubbing thing continues. OR better still, both tyre companies should make the grooved section of the tyre out of a fast wearing compound so that the tyres become slicks after second free practice.
Old 15 Oct 2001, 14:51 (Ref:160905)   #12
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Bennetton are the worst offenders (not that it offends me - push the rules as far as you can, I say). They sometimes leave the fronts completely alone, as happened yesterday with Fisichella's first stop. I think I'm right in saying that they didn't change his fronts at all at Spa - perhaps they only gave him fresh tyres at the second stop this time to make the car look decent at the end!

When complaints start to come in, will the FIA have to whip all tyres away as soon as they come off the cars, at all of the intermediate stops?

Conversely, Montoya's last set looked much worse than the one's they were taking off at the second stop!
Old 15 Oct 2001, 15:37 (Ref:160924)   #13
ljakse
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
ljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Commentator on our TV said that the rule is that at the end of the race at least one 'line' must be at least 1 mm deep. I don't know where is that info from, but that's all I know.