Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 30 Aug 2001, 00:23 (Ref:138221)   #1
BBKing
Veteran

BBKing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did little bro really said that?

That he is afraid of eau rouge? Too dangerous for him?

Please Frank. Give me his car and I will go flat out even if it is the last thing I do....LOL
Old 30 Aug 2001, 00:45 (Ref:138233)   #2
AGGY
Racer

AGGY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Did little bro really said that?

Quote:
Originally posted by BBKing
That he is afraid of eau rouge? Too dangerous for him?

Please Frank. Give me his car and I will go flat out even if it is the last thing I do....LOL
BB do you recall at Spa 96,MS going threw eua rouge holding the revs flat,or am i mistaken.

The camera angle was of the cockpit.
Old 30 Aug 2001, 01:02 (Ref:138238)   #3
BBKing
Veteran

Little bro means Ralf. Of course Schumacher and any other great driver likes eau rouge. Only chiken little bro is afraid of it...LOL

Don't worry. Head and Williams will put him on his place. Like they did when he said that he was saving his engine when Montoya pulled a 9 seconds gap...LOL
Old 30 Aug 2001, 12:58 (Ref:138405)   #4
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
Speed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Ralf is not a fan of Eau Rouge
“…is too dangerous!” [28/08/01 - 16:05]

Ralf Schumacher has had a good run of form at the Belgium Grand Prix so far in his Formula One career, but despite this the Williams driver is not a fan of the Spa Francorchamps circuit and especially the Eau Rouge corner. To date Schumacher has never qualified lower than eighth place on the grid for the race, and in the four years that he has raced in Belgium in F1 he has only been out of the points once, and that was in his first year, 1997, where he crashed out. Since then the German has finished the grand prix in second place, fourth place and last year in third place.

However according to Schumacher, who also recently criticised the chicanes at Monza following his older brother Michael's heavy shunt during a testing session, Eau Rouge is not up to scratch when it comes to safety standards and is too dangerous. Schumacher is not the only driver who believes that Eau Rouge could pose a problem or two at this weekend's race. Benetton's Giancarlo Fisichella stated that it is probably the most challenging corner of any grand prix circuit, and both believe that this is mainly due to the outdated safety standards at the corner.

Schumacher said: “I think Eau Rouge is too dangerous! Mainly because of the gravel trap, they are no longer up to date and should be changed.”

But, I really don't think Ralf is a chicken for saying this...
Old 30 Aug 2001, 13:02 (Ref:138408)   #5
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If Ralf has said this, then he should hang his head in shame.

You need a little danger. Take a freakin' chance. Even if you crash into the barrier, you'll be fine, Ralfie. *pats Ralf on the head*

F1 needs a little danger, considering that the racing itself is usually less than average. I will agree that the corner in itself is dangerous, but once he's in the car, I'm sure Ralf has forgotten all about it.......
Old 30 Aug 2001, 13:06 (Ref:138410)   #6
kuchi
Veteran

Colombia
Bogota, Colombia
kuchi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think all the drivers, deep inside, are afraid of the mystical Eau Rouge, but no one accepts it, it's a psycological thing, they must overcome their fears. Sometimes you need a little danger to show what you got, and in this case it ain't little.
Old 30 Aug 2001, 13:27 (Ref:138420)   #7
facco
Racer

facco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
this is F1 series, not an AA meeting so you don't have to admit anything about your fears.
The young GF is a big chicken!!!!
Old 30 Aug 2001, 13:38 (Ref:138425)   #8
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

No. He said that the safety of the circuit especially at that corner is not up to date, but of course “Ralf is afraid of Eau Rouge” is a title that sells more paper.

PS: It is dangerous. Being afraid but still climbing the car is actually courage. Not being afraid is idiocy.
Old 30 Aug 2001, 13:51 (Ref:138430)   #9
BBKing
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Red
No. He said that the safety of the circuit especially at that corner is not up to date, but of course “Ralf is afraid of Eau Rouge” is a title that sells more paper.

PS: It is dangerous. Being afraid but still climbing the car is actually courage. Not being afraid is idiocy.
He never qualified higher than 8th in this circuit. Last year Button qualified in 3rd. It means the car was good enough. Little bro was too scared to go flat out. That is your evidence. Good thing he is not afraid to say it.

You can use his words as a clasic example of the difference between a driver and a racer....LOL
Old 30 Aug 2001, 13:56 (Ref:138432)   #10
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
whatever.
By the way, actually he never qualified LOWER than eight.

Last edited by Red; 30 Aug 2001 at 13:56.
Old 30 Aug 2001, 15:01 (Ref:138442)   #11
facco
Racer

facco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by BBKing

He never qualified higher than 8th in this circuit. Last year Button qualified in 3rd. It means the car was good enough. Little bro was too scared to go flat out. That is your evidence. Good thing he is not afraid to say it.

You can use his words as a clasic example of the difference between a driver and a racer....LOL
Didn't he argued that he was lower than Button because he was saving the engine? LOL
Old 30 Aug 2001, 16:48 (Ref:138473)   #12
BBKing
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by facco

Didn't he argued that he was lower than Button because he was saving the engine? LOL
Indeed. He used his famous "Ok. You whatever you want. I will save my engine" line.....LOL

I meant to say higher than 6th. I am wrong this time?...LOL
Old 30 Aug 2001, 17:27 (Ref:138487)   #13
economy_waffle
Racer

economy_waffle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i think we should nickname him pussymacher!!! i mean wot is he like - imagine if he said that like 30-40 years ago? hed be out of f1 so fast...
Old 30 Aug 2001, 18:06 (Ref:138507)   #14
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't think any of the drivers are scared of the circuit, much less Eau Rouge. I think they might fear what could happen if the car will not complete the corner and they went off at 180 mph. It would be foolish to not fear the consequences. Here's the rub at Eau Rouge. To get a good lap time the car needs low downforce because of the length of the track, to get through Eau Rouge flat you need more downforce. I would much rather have a car capable of consistent lap times on the track than just a small gain by taking Eau Rouge flat. If you are stuck behind a slower car then it does not matter how fast you are in Eau Rouge because the other guy is dictating pace.

So it comes down to a machismo issue with Eau Rouge. They all want to take every turn flat, but if you are at the track to win, then you must make the correct setup on the car, not just for one turn.
Old 30 Aug 2001, 18:07 (Ref:138509)   #15
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
Speed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by facco
Ouchhhhhh....

Or saving his arse...

Last edited by Speed; 30 Aug 2001 at 18:10.
Old 30 Aug 2001, 18:12 (Ref:138515)   #16
economy_waffle
Racer

economy_waffle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Speed
Ouchhhhhh....

Or saving his arse...
nah he's already got shafted by button, montoya, fisichella...
Old 30 Aug 2001, 19:06 (Ref:138543)   #17
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I understood that he's not afraid of the corner.

He stated that it's too dangerous, that doesn't mean he's afraid, if so he wouldn't drive there...
Old 30 Aug 2001, 20:01 (Ref:138566)   #18
Roy2
Racer

Roy2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Red, KC, Bonomi

You're making distinctions that don't interest some of these posters. It's too bad that RS let Damon Hill through to win in 1998. With a Spa win on his resume, which there could have/should have been, it would be harder for them to start up.

It only makes sense to go flat through Eau Rouge if the driver can stay flat through Raidillon and reach the highest possible speed up Kemmel. I understand that if the set up isn't perfect Eau Rouge can't be taken flat. So if it's true about the safety issue, where's the percentage in a driver risking not only his lap, but his car and quite possibly his life? Even if the set up is perfect a driver wouldn't know it until he tried it. If he's right he gets a fast lap maybe. If he's wrong maybe he's dead. And if a driver points this out he's gutless? Give us a break.

I remember reading about Senna on Eau Rouge. He said that whenever he approached it he swore to himself that this time he'd take it flat. And every time he lifted if only a hair. I take it that up to that point in time he never took it absolutely flat.

The conclusion is fairly obvious. The downside was/is too much, even for Ayrton Senna.
Old 30 Aug 2001, 20:20 (Ref:138574)   #19
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Was that Juan Pablo going flat out around Eau Rouge and then saying "Gosh, I can't see what's so scary about that?"

I love these Piquet v. Mansell events!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 30 Aug 2001, 20:27 (Ref:138583)   #20
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Here we go...another "let's bash Ralf" thread. Did he, at any point in that article, say "I am afraid of Eau Rouge"? Now last time I checked, I could read...and that article says that he thinks Eau Rouge is too dangerous. Which it is, and we've seen that in recent years. Villeneuve in 98, again in 99, Zonta in 99, Salo in 98 (I think). All those accidents would have killed the drivers a few years earlier, so is Ralf wrong in saying that Eau Rouge is dangerous?
Old 30 Aug 2001, 20:33 (Ref:138585)   #21
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think it would be easier to take eau rouge flat now than it would have been 10/15 years ago simply because of the cars.

Dont get me wrong i'm not saying its easy but with all these new aerodynamic devices etc it is not like it used to be.

Even Brundle said of the flat right hander at the hungaroring that it looks so easy now instead of the white knuckle ride it used to be.
Old 30 Aug 2001, 20:51 (Ref:138596)   #22
BBKing
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Roy2
Red, KC, Bonomi

It's too bad that RS let Damon Hill through to win in 1998. With a Spa win on his resume, which there could have/should have been, it would be harder for them to start up.
What are you talking about? He did not let Hill through. He claims he was ordered not to overtake and as far as I can remember he was way behind. Only the safety car got him anywhere near Hill.
Old 30 Aug 2001, 20:58 (Ref:138604)   #23
Roy2
Racer

Roy2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And Zanardi in 1993 which ended his season.

No that was JPM with his heart rate at 210 bpm and his eyes as wide as saucers swearing never to try that again.
Old 30 Aug 2001, 21:01 (Ref:138609)   #24
Alan Jones
Veteran

Alan Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Do you guys remember JV , not sure which year exactly but the story goes that JV said I'm not gonna lift thru Eau Rouge, Someone, I think Jock said " nah, you'll lift a fraction" and JV says " No I won't" or something along thoise lines. And he did and raved about how good it felt on the edge.........

I don't believe I'm saying this but maybe Ralfie is a little smarter than JV. Slower thru Eau Rouge.....YES but who didn't end up in the gravel?
Now to Steph and Nator, this is not an invitation for indesciminate Ralfabating
Old 30 Aug 2001, 22:03 (Ref:138675)   #25
BD
Racer

BD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The story about JV that I remember is that he was talking with his engineers and said Eau Rouge could be taken be taken flat. His engineers said No Way. Jacques tried it and crashed heavily in qualifying. He was unhurt and unfrightened by it. The man is very, very brave.