Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 18 Mar 2004, 13:43 (Ref:909295)   #1
SetikX
Racer

SetikX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Schumacher to Minardi

In the last few years Minardi has driften further and fruther behind. I do not blame them for their lack of pace however I have always tried to think of new and original ways of improving the team. Do you think this could work?

If they put all their money (except for travel expenses) into hiring Michael Schumacher then using his profile to gain media time (time = money). Then, after the first season, use that advertising money achieved last season to pay Michael Schumacher again, then with his figure head, staff perhaps may join Schumacher, and then with the minimal success of Minardi will come 'the inside edition' interviews, which then will increase money that can be spent on the team.

The schumacher link with minardi may even attract ferrari's engine packages, and surely would bring the team into a top 14 position.

Perhaps even a 'david and goliath' mantality will further lift the minardi team.

I know M Schumacher may not even want the drive, however, I would respect him more if he built Minardi up, then if he won 5 more WDC's.
Old 18 Mar 2004, 13:47 (Ref:909300)   #2
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I've changed the title to reflect the thread ......
Old 18 Mar 2004, 13:50 (Ref:909302)   #3
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It would help, but not in a very strong way IMO; JV for instance switched to a new but well funded team, and didn't carry a strong improvement, time after time, the same for Hill when he went to Arrows.

Undoubtedly MS would leave a way stronger mark than the 2 aforementioned blokes, but, to radically change Minrdi, it simply should become something else.
Old 18 Mar 2004, 13:55 (Ref:909310)   #4
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Schumacher to Minardi

Quote:
Originally posted by SetikX
I know M Schumacher may not even want the drive, however, I would respect him more if he built Minardi up, then if he won 5 more WDC's.
Hmm... most probably he'll bring Todt/Brawn/Byrne & co, sponsorship money etc and they'll eventually build up Minardi.. However, they already did that at Ferrari. Considering the internal politics at Ferrari in early 90s, the pressure that was on them, building Minardi is a piece of cake.

However, keeping Ferrari at top for many years, now that's a challenge.
Old 18 Mar 2004, 14:47 (Ref:909349)   #5
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is something we all dream about huh?
An absolute balls out stunner of a driver in a minardi land barge.I for one bet he wouldn't ease up at all.It would be fantastic to see
Also who wouldn't want minardi to have such a driver?They would suddenly have TONS of genuine fans,the sponsership money would roll in and they'd finally start jumping up the grid.

.....and then there is the other aspect...How many of us would like to see michael sentenced to a few years at minardi for his past indiscretions? REAL justice,lol
Old 18 Mar 2004, 15:00 (Ref:909359)   #6
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I don't think this will ever happen. Minardi : forever under dog !
Old 18 Mar 2004, 15:02 (Ref:909361)   #7
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Mmmm, i'm in flavour country...
Wunderbar!
Old 18 Mar 2004, 15:42 (Ref:909391)   #8
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I doubt there would be very much difference compared to Minardi's recent hot-shots Webber and Alonso. Schumacher's experience and technical excellence might add a few per-cent, but essentially no money=no result.
Old 18 Mar 2004, 15:53 (Ref:909400)   #9
SetikX
Racer

SetikX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You missed my point, I didnt mean technically, I mean advertisingly. "M Schumacher, World Champion transfers to Minardi". Technically Michael has fifty times the knowledge Alonso had when he started at Minardi.
Old 18 Mar 2004, 16:05 (Ref:909411)   #10
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Differert era's of course, and much is different. I can't help but think of Emmerson Fittipaldi & Copersucar.
Old 18 Mar 2004, 16:41 (Ref:909432)   #11
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote : "..however, I would respect him more if he built Minardi up, then if he won 5 more WDC's."

Woah..then i guess you don't respect any of the 19 other drivers?

Firstly, as you've said, putting all their money to hire Michael, what would happen is that they have Michael, but doesn't have a car for him to drive.

But let's say, Michael decides to go to Minardi (no reason why he would want to do that) for free. He'd bring with him a lot of sponsorship, which would allow Minardi more money to develope their cars. Then MS would bring his team of Bryne/Brawn. Which again means more brains to design a better car. Then, Michael would stamp down on what he WANTS from a car, and hence, that technical feedback/experience would again mean a better car.

Add that to a better driver/team strategy that is a given in a MS/Brawn partnership, and couple it to better cars, we would end up seeing a vastly better Minardi team. Points would come gradually easier , though i doubt wins are achievable in short time.

In any case, MS's influence would help to improve the team far greater than any other drivers could. BUT if we are talking WDCs...we must be kidding ourselves..
Old 18 Mar 2004, 17:24 (Ref:909479)   #12
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Quote:
If they put all their money (except for travel expenses) into hiring Michael Schumacher
On Michaels current income Miniardi with their total budget could afford to hire him for about 3 days.........
Old 18 Mar 2004, 17:38 (Ref:909500)   #13
Ryo28
Racer

United Kingdom
Stockport, UK (and Leeds Uni)
Ryo28 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Armco Bender
On Michaels current income Miniardi with their total budget could afford to hire him for about 3 days.........
...yet on Michaels current income he could provide the team with their total budget for about 3 seasons!
Old 18 Mar 2004, 18:30 (Ref:909527)   #14
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Gt_R
Quote : "..however, I would respect him more if he built Minardi up, then if he won 5 more WDC's."

Woah..then i guess you don't respect any of the 19 other drivers?

He didn't say that he didn't respect Michael, just that he would respect him more!
Old 18 Mar 2004, 18:35 (Ref:909535)   #15
300kph
Racer

300kph should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Minardi has been a golden door to many F1 drivers, playing the game with the little they have and trying everytime to stay, the poorest in the society of F1 world that is destined to be left behind if nothing changes and I praise everybody at the team for everything they have done.

Your Idea of MS coming to the team and using the money of sponsors to pay himself is a little bit odd, I must admit! The team needs everything to race at the front and if that happens, I can bet my farm that the name "Minardi" will just be a very small unreadable letters printed at the rear of the car!...but... no one knows..... it might.....
Old 18 Mar 2004, 19:16 (Ref:909587)   #16
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Jukebox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
another wish list.....with stoddard as boss? omigosh...
Old 18 Mar 2004, 19:37 (Ref:909626)   #17
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by Jukebox
another wish list.....with stoddard as boss? omigosh...
No TGF as boss, with the whole bunch Todt, Brawn et al...
Old 19 Mar 2004, 07:38 (Ref:910360)   #18
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Jukebox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
it'll only work if they transfer the whole workforce from Ferrari to Minardi, no matter how good they are as bosses...if their workforce aren't up to the standard, it'll not make any difference would it
Old 19 Mar 2004, 14:05 (Ref:910774)   #19
facco
Racer

facco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jukebox, I am sure that TGF will not switch teams if he can't take Brawn,Byrne, Todt.
Old 19 Mar 2004, 14:22 (Ref:910792)   #20
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally posted by facco
Jukebox, I am sure that TGF will not switch teams if he can't take Brawn,Byrne, Todt.
That's it, Minardi TGF racing for 2007.
Old 19 Mar 2004, 14:25 (Ref:910796)   #21
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Nah, Pollock buys Minardi for 2005.

Then again, it's 2007 we're talking about.....
Old 19 Mar 2004, 14:43 (Ref:910812)   #22
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally posted by Red
Nah, Pollock buys Minardi for 2005.

Then again, it's 2007 we're talking about.....
*Looks around to see if TeddyG is not in sight*

Oh my, a JV come-back...
Old 19 Mar 2004, 14:57 (Ref:910822)   #23
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by climb
It would help, but not in a very strong way IMO; JV for instance switched to a new but well funded team, and didn't carry a strong improvement, time after time, the same for Hill when he went to Arrows.
Sorry, how does 5.3 seconds off pole at the start of the year to competing for pole and almost winning at Hungary not constitute an improvement?!

It would be interesting to see Michael go to Minardi, but if the changes occurred as you suggest, then would the team still be Minardi?
Old 20 Mar 2004, 09:38 (Ref:911776)   #24
Scootch
Rookie

Scootch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by RWC
This is something we all dream about huh?
An absolute balls out stunner of a driver in a minardi land barge.I for one bet he wouldn't ease up at all.It would be fantastic to see
Also who wouldn't want minardi to have such a driver?They would suddenly have TONS of genuine fans,the sponsership money would roll in and they'd finally start jumping up the grid.
I mentioned this on a previous thread, it would indeed be brilliant. As for scraping money together to pay him, no! In an ideal situation MS would take a huge pay cut and decide to help them out cos it would be the biggest challenge he had undertaken in years.

And since when have Minardi NOT had "genuine fans"?

I guess the only danger is as Red says, that he will bring Brawn, Todt etc with him, and the team will just turn into "another Ferarri".

Maybe the Mafia or the Tifosi would also be ****** at him for leaving Ferarri and nasty emails/horse's heads in beds would ensue?

[EDIT: Weak autocensor dodge /EDIT]

Last edited by Adam43; 2 Sep 2004 at 19:54.
Old 20 Mar 2004, 09:56 (Ref:911800)   #25
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Oh my oh my, I've seen worst things happening then becoming another Ferrari. Sheese...