Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 31 Jan 2004, 20:49 (Ref:858015)   #1
macca46
Rookie

macca46 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hrt car in america on rig

tell me how tega are cost cutting when the rules obviously dont stop you taking a car to america to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on a suspension rig? or are hrt actually breaking the testing rules?
Old 31 Jan 2004, 21:11 (Ref:858050)   #2
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A multi-post shaker rig you mean?

Nothing in the rules to stop that, I think there is a more than reasonable shot that prodrive has access to something similar... that they may not use it is to their own detriment.
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 31 Jan 2004, 21:14 (Ref:858056)   #3
macca46
Rookie

correct but surely their view on cost cutting should stop this practice as the smaller teams are only going to fall further behind making the racing worse.
Old 31 Jan 2004, 21:27 (Ref:858074)   #4
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Eibach in the US has one of these things, rentable at commercial rates. If other teams wanted to use it, the technology has been available for some time, and is not illegal to use under the current Supercar rules.
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 31 Jan 2004, 21:30 (Ref:858077)   #5
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Main Roads in QLD have a couple too. Doesn't cost you anything to go on it.
Old 31 Jan 2004, 22:10 (Ref:858129)   #6
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Is that the one for the trucks, where they put the suspension under load every which way? Similar to what we are talking about here, but the measurement tools arent anywhere near as good.

I found these on google...

Ohlins 7 Post Rig
Rig Test Process
Rig Test Data & Output
Stewart GP Builds a Rig
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 31 Jan 2004, 22:21 (Ref:858145)   #7
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes GTR, i said it in jest. They have them for cars up here too. If there's nothing wrong with the car when it goes on it, there usually is after.
Old 31 Jan 2004, 22:24 (Ref:858154)   #8
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
I have seen trucks pulled up on the side of the road on the F3 to be forced to run on the trailer-mounted rig... amazing how many of them fail, and another prime mover has to come clear the trailer away and tow the 'unroadworthy' unit to be repaired.
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 31 Jan 2004, 22:39 (Ref:858178)   #9
Also a Believer
Veteran

Also a Believer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In my days as a transport company owner I lived my life in fear of such riggs, no matter how well maintained our trucks where they always found a defect. No wonder I am broke.
Old 31 Jan 2004, 23:21 (Ref:858255)   #10
macca46
Rookie

ok you can use a test rig we have established this but as todd and skaife are over in the states and some key personel im sure they would only want the drivers there if they wanted to drive the cars on a track all of a sudden they have broken the rules
Old 31 Jan 2004, 23:26 (Ref:858262)   #11
falcontastic
Rookie

falcontastic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: hrt car in america on rig

Quote:
Originally posted by macca46
tell me how tega are cost cutting when the rules obviously dont stop you taking a car to america to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on a suspension rig? or are hrt actually breaking the testing rules?
I thought it was there for wind tunnel testing

Last edited by falcontastic; 31 Jan 2004 at 23:27.
Old 31 Jan 2004, 23:27 (Ref:858264)   #12
Also a Believer
Veteran

Point macca,
Do the rules cover testing cars overseas or only on local tracks. Whilst the use of such Jigs in not against the rules this is just another case of the distance being put between the teams that can and the teams that cant. In the end the Sunday no passing train gets longer and longer. All stations no stops. Gee we really need to even this playing field so all sponsors see value in all teams.
Old 31 Jan 2004, 23:39 (Ref:858284)   #13
macca46
Rookie

check the rule book the testing covers basically anywhere a car can be driven full stop. when was the last time we saw a race with a decent freight train anyway where more than 1 or 2 cars had a chance of winning if we stop the massive spending that is out of the reach of most teams we may get closer to what we all want.
Old 31 Jan 2004, 23:53 (Ref:858304)   #14
Hobo high
Racer

Hobo high should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe after losing the plot at eastern creek , skaife is killing two birds with one stone by booking himself into one of those yankey style clinic's for let say ??????? " anger management " maybe even Ordered into Anger Mangement by john stevenson ) .
Old 1 Feb 2004, 01:41 (Ref:858420)   #15
laser
Racer

laser should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by GTRMagic
I have seen trucks pulled up on the side of the road on the F3 to be forced to run on the trailer-mounted rig... amazing how many of them fail, and another prime mover has to come clear the trailer away and tow the 'unroadworthy' unit to be repaired.
Are you sure it's a shaker and not the dreaded scalies ?

Same result btw ... almost.
Old 1 Feb 2004, 01:49 (Ref:858428)   #16
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
The NSW RTA has one of the new you-beaut shaker rigs... under evaluation... hideously expensive, and I dont think it will be progressed...
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 1 Feb 2004, 02:03 (Ref:858442)   #17
Also a Believer
Veteran

GTR you did nor reponde to my email.......i get the hint.
*SMILE SMIRK AND GRIN*
Old 1 Feb 2004, 04:56 (Ref:858506)   #18
Gaz170
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast, QLD
Gaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Didn't Paul Morris used to have access to one of these rigs near his workshops????
AFIK, nothing in the rules says you can't use them (as much as it may be frowned upon by others).
Old 1 Feb 2004, 05:03 (Ref:858508)   #19
deeks6
Veteran

deeks6 User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
No different from the old Walkinshaw days when they were testing their "Opels" overseas, is it?
Old 1 Feb 2004, 05:11 (Ref:858512)   #20
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally posted by Gaz170
Didn't Paul Morris used to have access to one of these rigs near his workshops????
AFIK, nothing in the rules says you can't use them (as much as it may be frowned upon by others).
The Morrises were looking at one, and certainly came extremely close to buying one.

As with most of their investments, the aim of this one would have been to lease space and time on it to other teams....

In the end, I guess they couldnt make it pay
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 2 Feb 2004, 00:36 (Ref:859604)   #21
Big Trev
Racer

Big Trev should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: hrt car in america on rig

Quote:
Originally posted by macca46
Didn't Walkinshaw have one (ot two) Holden V8 Supercars running around competing in European comps just so that could do off-shore testing. From what I remember of this, is that that they could do it as the testing rules only applied in Oz. This might be all shyte, but I do remember something about it. Maybe GTRMagic or Racetime can shed some light.

edit: Sorry I should have kept reading all the way to deeks6 statement, which it what I posted -

Last edited by Big Trev; 2 Feb 2004 at 00:42.
Old 2 Feb 2004, 00:41 (Ref:859607)   #22
Big Trev
Racer

I had a mate in Vicroads who used to work with the "shaker", he claimed if the vehicle was spot on it wouldn't find faults. He also said that there is no way know that the shaker would do any damamge. I have seen it in action.

He claimed a lot of the negative came from people who didn't understand it, or the "truckies lounge" talk was getting out of control.
Old 2 Feb 2004, 02:11 (Ref:859637)   #23
V8 Superdave
Racer

V8 Superdave should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yet again it coes down to the team with the biggest budgets making the best use of available technology (no, this is NOT an SHRT bash).

I believe this sort of thing shouldn't be allowed, for the very reason that this solution is NOT available to all teams (reality of funding, NOT that the equipment isn't around), and as such creates (or has the potentioal to create) a big advantage. If FPR are/were/might be considering this type of thing, i'm still against it.

If the aim is to bring the cost down, then individual teams should have access to this kind of technological advantage reduced to the level of the rest of the field, or removed altogether. Either that, or a rig is set up and run here, with ALL teams allowed access. This just promotes the big budget teams being able to stay as far ahead of the rest as previously, and makes a mockery of Project BP.
Old 2 Feb 2004, 02:36 (Ref:859654)   #24
grumpy1
Veteran

grumpy1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Big Trev I saw a Scania with 500klms on the clock fail a shaker test at the Beveridge weigh bridge. I belive that this unit is sitting in a shed in Port Melbourne gathering dust.

The Grumpy1

Last edited by grumpy1; 2 Feb 2004 at 02:37.
Old 2 Feb 2004, 04:11 (Ref:859698)   #25
Big Trev
Racer

Grumpy1, I should have gone on to say that it has been a long time since I have seen them used. Probably 5 to 8 years I reckon. I have spent 28 in and around the transport industry (shudder)!