Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Bike Racing

Old 19 Oct 2003, 08:33 (Ref:755624)   #1
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Penalties

I don't know if the simple ten-second penalty awarded to Rossi is fair.

It's a fact that a jump start is given a stop-go penalty. Why is passing under the yellows not given the same penalty when the advantage is the same?

Jump-start - a rider can make an unfair advantage (for example, Debon in Malaysia)

Passing under yellow - make up a position illegally - unfair advantage.

IMO both should either have a stop-go penalty or a simple 10 second add-on to the race time.

(BTW, I'm taking nothing away from Rossi's superb victory. This is just a question I've been pondering.)
Old 19 Oct 2003, 08:57 (Ref:755640)   #2
bestfit
Veteran

Australia
In a state of total confusion.
bestfit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbestfit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree entirely, I think he should have gotten a stop go penalty. IMO passing under a yellow is a worse offence than a jump start because it is a safety issue designed to protect the track marshalls, not just taking an unfair advantage. Maybe they should change the flag colour, he obviously cant recognise bright yellow. Brilliant ride though!

Glad to hear Troy is OK, that fall looked very nasty.
Old 19 Oct 2003, 09:24 (Ref:755654)   #3
asha
Veteran

asha should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i think that a 10 second penalty for a jump start would be a lot fairer then a stop-go (you may as well pull into the pits if you get a stop-go).

And i do agree that passing under yellow is worse then a jumpstart. yellow is a safety issue, jumpstart is about fairness.
Old 19 Oct 2003, 09:55 (Ref:755694)   #4
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Do they have Stop-Go in MotoGP?
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 19 Oct 2003, 10:40 (Ref:755764)   #5
blackx
Veteran

England
blackx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would have been a bit more interesting if he had been given a drive/ride through penalty...........
We would have got to watch him carve his way through the field.....
Old 19 Oct 2003, 12:16 (Ref:755840)   #6
moffman
Veteran

moffman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't agree stop go penalties ruin racing.Ten second penalty was sufficient under the circumstances.
Old 19 Oct 2003, 14:00 (Ref:755950)   #7
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
You think the 10 second penalty didn't ruin the race?
It was a borefest!

A stop and go would at least have given us some 'carve through the field' action!

Last edited by ASCII Man; 19 Oct 2003 at 14:02.
Old 19 Oct 2003, 15:08 (Ref:756057)   #8
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
the stop&Go doesn ruin our races . but do ruin riders races .. ..

Ciao Marco
Old 19 Oct 2003, 15:18 (Ref:756064)   #9
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
I dont care if it makes the racing more or less exciting, it's a punishment to a rider not a 'spice things up' penalty.

Although I'm a Rossie supporter, I thought the penalty was ridiculious. Passing under a yellow is as bad as it gets (and can be quiet dangerous) and he should have got a drive through.
Old 19 Oct 2003, 22:22 (Ref:756386)   #10
gixxer_chris
Rookie

gixxer_chris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
rossi should have had to pull into pit lane and take a stop / go penalty. maybe 5 seconds? u see in formula 1 how long it takes to come into the pits and stop . as to fair or not tough, what if rossi had taken out one of the marshalls or docs seeing to bayliss? i know there was no chance of it today but that is what the yellow flags are there for .
Old 20 Oct 2003, 00:40 (Ref:756469)   #11
Winther
Racer

Winther should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that they should make those damn flags more visible for the riders.
Somehow I doubt that they miss them on purpose.
Old 20 Oct 2003, 07:51 (Ref:756639)   #12
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
i think 10 sec penalties are the way to go - ride through penalties are shyte and ruin races .... as for rossi yesterday - how could he see that flag
Old 20 Oct 2003, 08:11 (Ref:756653)   #13
Zinger
Racer

Zinger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The problem is the stupid rule for GP's. If there was a stationary yellow the point before then Rossi wouldn't off had anything to complian about.
Old 20 Oct 2003, 13:48 (Ref:757000)   #14
Bruce_Parrot
Rookie

Bruce_Parrot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think the problem is the lack of a stationary yellow, (although I think that this is a better system) after all, for MotoGP you have to have 3 waved yellows before an incident so there should be more of an opportunity to see them.

I agree that the penalties are the wrong way round though. I have come close to being flattened a few times by riders not slowing down for incidents, and I have seen marshals injured on more than one occasion. It's my neck out there and if the competitors ignore my safety I would penalise them heavily , world champions or not.
Old 21 Oct 2003, 11:18 (Ref:758125)   #15
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's a tough call. I think it's a fair call under the circumstances. While it was a difficult flag to see, it's not impossible.

You cannot compare the penalty for two different situations like jump start and overtaking under yellow. There are too many variables for each to say what set penalty should be applied.
Old 21 Oct 2003, 23:48 (Ref:758869)   #16
TheMan
Racer

TheMan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
The ten second penalty is fare. It is not the penalties fault that in this day and age a rider is good enough to pull that sort of gap in that short a time. Maybe the stewards need to sit down and make it say 15 or 20 second penalty and loss of 10 points or something.
Old 25 Oct 2003, 11:38 (Ref:762588)   #17
graham bahr
Veteran

England
cambs
graham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgraham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
it makes you wonder if rossi had of kept the win at donnington had he been aware of the penalty during the race, quite simply the penalties are the wrong way round, a jump start is not a safety issue, if you take things one step further then you could have riders deliberatly passing under yellows knowing they will gain more than 10 seconds advantage.

its not speed thats dangerous, just the sudden lack of it!