Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 21 Jan 2003, 09:54 (Ref:480854)   #1
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Jaguar launch

Boring, boring Jaguar! They have gone completely conservative on the design of the R4 - a reaction to the trouble they got themselves into with the R3, which lauda pushed to be more adventurous, but turned out to have serious problems inherent in the chassis design.

Plenty of good pics on F1 Live, and other places too. Looks very similar to last year's car - some extra detailing around the flip-ups, as is the fashion, but nothing very exciting to see really.

The new engine is 90 degree - so that is a very big change under the skin - can't say the car looks much lower as a result though.
Old 21 Jan 2003, 10:34 (Ref:480882)   #2
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
After the debacles of the past years, can you blame them for going conservative? Ford have pumped in massive amounts of money for results, not for 'in five years this will be competitive'. Can't blame them going for something they know has more chance of scoring points on a regular basis.
Old 21 Jan 2003, 10:40 (Ref:480888)   #3
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
True, still, it is a disapointment not to see something new just from a gimmick point of view...

The Renault and Jag look the same from last year.
Old 21 Jan 2003, 10:53 (Ref:480901)   #4
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What's that in the back of the car, right near the wing's mounting pilon? :confused: On each sides of the air intake? Check these pictures: 1. And a closer look

Last edited by Red; 21 Jan 2003 at 10:56.
Old 21 Jan 2003, 12:35 (Ref:480997)   #5
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Mark Webber has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
could be exhaust outlet's? I don't know
but as for the warpaint looks neater than last years
I think is the best of the samers
TOYOTA,RENAULT,JAGUAR I think the JAG looks better
even though I don't really like the BAR aleast its different for last year I give them that
Old 21 Jan 2003, 13:08 (Ref:481019)   #6
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
No, not the exhausts. Here's what I'm talking about (the car on top is the R3):
Attached Thumbnails
2002-3.jpg  
Old 21 Jan 2003, 13:09 (Ref:481021)   #7
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
The light reflections are a bit confusing....
Old 21 Jan 2003, 13:34 (Ref:481045)   #8
twig
Veteran

twig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
you mean the little round bits?

dont know, but it has been on many cars.

its that, isnt it?
Old 21 Jan 2003, 13:58 (Ref:481060)   #9
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Personally i'm glad that Jaguar haven't gone for some crazy radical design. Really how many times can a team start over? It's good that they have made their major changes to just the engine. Cosworth has at least been consistently good. I think Jaguar are starting to realize what they need to do to be good in F1 and are now finally building a solid foundation. You can't build a skyscraper from the top down!
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 21 Jan 2003, 14:43 (Ref:481099)   #10
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Williams and Ferrari do it, not sure about anyone else...they're just trying to make the engine cover go as low as possible for aerodynamic reasons, not sure what the parts underneath the engine cover are exactly, but it's just as if they've shrink wrapped the carbon onto the car.
Old 21 Jan 2003, 15:27 (Ref:481133)   #11
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OK, so it's not going to change GP car design, but I think it's quite a handsome car. Very short and stubby looking, and the back end looks... interesting.

Actually, I'm going to stick my neck out. I think the only way for Jaguar is up, and they could suprise this year.
Old 21 Jan 2003, 15:28 (Ref:481136)   #12
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
We've been arguing about it here at work all morning (you can see how hard we work ), and my view is that its nothing but body work blisters to cover up part of the suspension.

Last edited by Inigo Montoya; 21 Jan 2003 at 15:29.
Old 21 Jan 2003, 15:31 (Ref:481139)   #13
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Yeah, crossed my mind that it actually might be some sort of a cover for the torsion bars. And it wouldn't be a first for them anyway, Stewart had some sort of 'horns' for the front suspension several years ago as well. :confused:
Old 21 Jan 2003, 15:41 (Ref:481150)   #14
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As did Tyrell before then.

Blisters are a BAD thing. The back end really needs to be flush.
Old 21 Jan 2003, 15:41 (Ref:481151)   #15
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Jaguar still go with coil springs at the back - which are bulky and in the positions highlighted - so I guess the new engine is suitably low (they mention big improvements in C of G in their press release) but the suspension remains somewhat bulky. There were good pictures last year of the Jag rear suspension, and it was quite chunky, with three coil units mounted on top of the gearbox. Most others have long sice gone with torsion bars all round, and some have even put part or all of these (more compact) units actually inside the gearbox casing.
Old 21 Jan 2003, 16:57 (Ref:481243)   #16
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
what did people think of the launch? i quite like the idea of launching on the internet, complete with realtime footage of the car in action...makes a good noise in the office!
Old 21 Jan 2003, 19:21 (Ref:481450)   #17
JonesF1
Racer

JonesF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The "round bits" look inverted, not blistered. The E-Launch is interesting but didnt they do it just to save money? I wouldve preferred a traditional launch with girls in bikinis flying around on wires and maybe some circus clowns.

Oh, yeah... GO FORD
Old 21 Jan 2003, 19:30 (Ref:481466)   #18
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Tristan

Actually, I'm going to stick my neck out. I think the only way for Jaguar is up,
couldn't really be much worse though could they
Old 23 Jan 2003, 11:34 (Ref:483335)   #19
Glen
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by JonesF1
The "round bits" look inverted, not blistered.
Yea, they do... and they are actually behind where the dampers would be - so I guess the bodywork is fatter than ideal over the dampers, and then they have designed this cut-away shape behind the bulge. Possibly it works with the exhaust, creating a little low pressure adjacent to the exhaust outlet therby assisting engine breathing and also directing the exhaust gas more towards the centre of the car.