Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 13 Nov 2004, 14:57 (Ref:1152462)   #1
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Shelsley Special, 100 years and still climbing

For me, this should be the meeting of the year. The club centenary a few years back was briliant with a mouthwatering collection of machinery and drivers, and a truly enormous crowd. My favourite was the V12 Ferrari running unsilenced and I've been pleased to see it a couple of times since. There was plenty more, though.

As usual I shall be dressed in orange and manning the banks, who else is planning to be there? if you're driving, have you had your invite yet?
Old 13 Nov 2004, 17:03 (Ref:1152521)   #2
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
Mike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
im thinking of going upto spectate when is it on ??? i mean where i can i get general info on the event ???

regards mike.
Old 13 Nov 2004, 17:49 (Ref:1152555)   #3
ranoff
Racer

ranoff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just whipping across from the adjacent thread, there will surely be more news upcoming over the next few months. Floads put the dates up on the other thread last night.

I had it by word of mouth from the Spider II crew at Curborough that a job lot of brown coats have been acquired so I suspect we will see some sort of a light hearted tribute to Basil Hope Davenport next season. Just make sure that cameras are at the ready! I hope they have bought enough baler twine to tie around their waists!

A very experienced spectator (nearly every Shelsley since the Second World War, ill health excepted) has been spotted mooching around the place lately. He has been researching all sorts of old time stuff, so with luck he may uncover the whereabouts of some unusual cars.

I would certainly hope to see plenty of Instone connections, both cars and people, at the centenary.
Old 13 Nov 2004, 21:26 (Ref:1152697)   #4
keith h
Rookie

keith h should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
WOT HO wolley old pal.I realey dont know which car to drive or should that be witch pump to pull in the chevron bar!! keith.
Old 13 Nov 2004, 23:04 (Ref:1152751)   #5
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Stuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Shelsley Special, 100 years and still climbing

Quote:
Originally posted by Woolley
As usual I shall be dressed in orange and manning the banks
Look forward to joining you there.

Is it too early yet to request a Post????
Old 13 Nov 2004, 23:14 (Ref:1152755)   #6
Andrew Gunnell
Racer

United Kingdom
stratford-upon-avon
Andrew Gunnell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I will be there, on the bank. Except the Spider are there any of the old specials still around (e.g The Wasp or Bloody Mary), because it would be good to see them going up the hill again, even if it is an exhibition run.
Old 14 Nov 2004, 00:17 (Ref:1152797)   #7
FLoads
Rookie

FLoads should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wasp does not do exhibition runs. In fact neither do Spider 1 or 2 or Gnat. In would be beneath the dignity of a real Shelsley Special to do a demonstration, that's what you get with the toys at the "Hillclimb" in Sussex.
Old 14 Nov 2004, 01:50 (Ref:1152838)   #8
Fireblade
Racer

Fireblade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bloody Mary sadly no longer runs at Shelsley and last time I saw it was at Lord Montagues, Beaulieu Motor Museum.

It was referred to as "The Tudor Queen" in the early days as it was considered "not cricket" to say Bloody in public especially over the PA system.

John Bolster must have been even madder than the other Shelsley Special drivers as the original chassis was made from ash and one evolution of it was reputed to have had 4 engines.
He once had a nasty spill at Bottom Ess, rolling over and bouncing on his head as can be seen in a now famous bit of film footage.
He was, however, undeterred and appeared at the next meeting with a crash helmet in place.

Wonder what the chances of Lord Montague sending "Mary" along would be?
I wonder if it still runs?
Old 14 Nov 2004, 22:10 (Ref:1153490)   #9
FLoads
Rookie

I have just been watching the 99years video [again]. I seem to recall that the White Riley was advertised for sale from a French/Belgian dealer in MotorSport? earlier this year. Is my memory playing tricks ??
The suggested price of the Fleetwood car was a bit of speculation by a couple of people who were spectacularly wrong when pricing the Moyse family Mallock. Having said that the Toet car does seem to be a bargain.
Out of interest what is the cost of a new car in any of the regular single seater classes ? Are they fixed prices or is it a matter of negotiation and status of the buyer ?
PS: I see that the butler has got a job with Penrite, refer to the current edition of The Automobile and maybe other good magazines.
Old 14 Nov 2004, 22:11 (Ref:1153491)   #10
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I've got a copy of that footage. Also one of the mighty Mays doing the same thing at Crossing. he just gets up and looks at the car like it's a horse that threw him!

Stu, you can request... I suspect the problem will not be where to send everyone but how to fit them all in. I seem to remember Steve had to find space for 60+ at the club centenary.

Keith, looking forward to seeing you at the 'Chevron' all next year. It's one of the institutions that makes hillclimbing so special when everyone can get together all in one spot. Your efforts are VERY much appreciated.
Old 15 Nov 2004, 10:03 (Ref:1153799)   #11
blackx
Veteran

England
blackx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Be sure to let me know when the video comes out so I can see what the event was like.....:-)
Old 15 Nov 2004, 10:48 (Ref:1153828)   #12
ranoff
Racer

Demonstration runs are beneath them!

Quote:
Originally posted by FLoads
In would be beneath the dignity of a real Shelsley Special to do a demonstration, that's what you get with the toys at the "Hillclimb" in Sussex.
This could be a conversation we have had many times before! Such historic cars really do compete, and for me, this is one of the joys of Shelsley.

If historic convention is followed, there could either be a class for Shelsley specials or an appropriate age related class. Strikes me that Spider II will have the edge over Spider I in future competition.

I would be very pleased to see Mark Walker and Duncan Pittaway competing. Truly all arms and elbows. I would prefer to see them driving something truly quick. The big Panhard and the Thunderbug are great fun, but it needs to be the Parker GN special or the GN Vitesse V8 for me.
Old 17 Nov 2004, 12:29 (Ref:1155870)   #13
Jedi088
Rookie

Jedi088 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So does anyone know what happened to Glegg brothers special DORCAS
Old 17 Nov 2004, 22:02 (Ref:1156459)   #14
FLoads
Rookie

The gardener and his boy have received instructions from 'on high' and so the undergrowth [and the overgrowth] is being and will be seriously reduced in heaven over the next few weeks.
A 'tidy lawn' training day a little further south was considered but rapidly rejected as it was considered not in keeping with the true spirit of hill-climb venues. Tidy 'English rural' is ok but 'frightfully nice' lawns are for chaps in caps and cravats - don't yer know.
We take our moggy to a local cattery [and doggery] and happened to see this sad, lonely animal muttering " speak to me, speak to me I have tales to tell and all the real info" Very sad.
Must talk about cars - I have got my engine back and it is already in the car, so things are looking up, it will, hopefully be ready for the Centenary.
Siz yer.
Old 17 Nov 2004, 22:18 (Ref:1156481)   #15
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Unfortunately, not everyone fully understood the dog, so I believe it's been allowed to retire to kennels...

A bit of undergrowth removal will be good. I used to be able to see kennels from Bottom Ess, but not for the last year - the trees have been spreading a little and blocking the view.
Old 17 Nov 2004, 22:24 (Ref:1156485)   #16
FLoads
Rookie

Reference the post about Dorcas. A nice musical lady sold me a copy of "Specials" by John Bolster earlier this year. It is one of the most interesting books anyone could wish to buy - look out for a copy.
Dorcas - A Biblical lady who was "full of good works". However the car, in one of its forms, did not quite seem to match that description. A four-wheel drive version used many very long chains which, in a practice session, resulted in a 'shower of chains in Worcestershire'. The final version of the car was still four-wheel drive but no chains and, eventually, a 1200cc JAP engine. In this state it won the unsupercharged 11/2litre class at SW in 46.88sec in 1938.
"Dorcas 1 was an Austin based special, which has no great claim to fame, except for an incident at a hill-climb at Chalfont, where Gordon Clegg posted a friend on a corner with his camera, with instructions to secure a good action picture. On approaching this corner, our hero found that his throttle would not shut, so baled out before the inevitable accident. The trusting friend was run over a hundreth of a second after he had clicked the shutter; happily they both came out, that is to say the photograph came out of the camera, and the friend eventually came out of hospital."
Old 17 Nov 2004, 22:34 (Ref:1156497)   #17
FLoads
Rookie

Sorry to be putting several mesages on at once but the comment about not seeing Kennel from Bottom S is a little strange as the horticultural gentlemen thinned-out considerably the trees/bushes in the fence behind the Crossing post, leaving only a couple small cherry trees. All the substantial growth was also removed right-up to the tree line at the 'big drop'. Having sais that the growth over the season was considerable - damned global warming.
Old 17 Nov 2004, 22:36 (Ref:1156501)   #18
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Excellent stuff. I was given a book last year detailing the 'complete' history of Shelsley. Since it was pre-war, the title is a little less than accurate now, but it was still a great read. I particularly like the 'Boys Own' style of description of some of the incidents. I must dig it out and bring it along next year to the Chevron.
Old 17 Nov 2004, 22:38 (Ref:1156504)   #19
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Oops, I think this is a 'Two Ronnies' sketch - answering the question before last!

The trees certainly shot up last year, and it's the lower but bushy ones on the tree-line that were obscuring the view.
Old 17 Nov 2004, 23:18 (Ref:1156556)   #20
ranoff
Racer

Take great care bringing nice books to Shelsley. That musical lady will have it sold to a collector quicker than you can say "major incident". If its the lady I remember, she sold more books in an hour than Spencer Elton shifted all weekend!

Mr Loads and I have found ourselves bidding against each other on Shelsley items on ebay, much to our later annoyance.

On the subject of undergrowth, I was slave driven so badly by Mr Loads boss earlier this year that it will take me all winter to sharpen my blades ready for spring. They are blunter than the now retired caterers best cutlery.

Just remember all of this when you look out across a tidy vista next season. Several poor souls who are old enough to know better have worked their shirts off to get it that way.

By the way Mr Loads, what is the fallen leaf situation after this years abnormal growth?
Old 17 Nov 2004, 23:38 (Ref:1156588)   #21
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
It will be picture perfect as usual, I am sure. I particularly like the way the grass banks are done on the right on the way up. The same way you see race-horses with the two-tone paint(?)work. (There really must be a proper word for it, but it beats me.)

The musical lady I think is called Marion? Not too sure, I'd been imbibing Keith's hospitality that night and was a bit emotional from meeting Graham Hickman for the first time since his accident. I did have the pleasure of singing a duet with her over the barbecue, though. You never know, we might be able to organize something a little more official next time?
Old 18 Nov 2004, 08:06 (Ref:1156754)   #22
ranoff
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by Woolley
The same way you see race-horses with the two-tone paint(?)work. (There really must be a proper word for it, but it beats me.)
Yes, I understand the reference and will try to find out what the horsey fraternity call it. Then we can christen the banks with a new name. That work is done by a contractor who has a mowing head on a hydraulic arm. Not one of those hit and miss flail cutters. He is very precise, and has worked right around my parked car on one occasion. But he cannot work right up to the fence, for risk of causing damage. So our small group finish off with brushcutters, hence the two-tone finish. Its very heavy on cutting line and I have managed to empty a full line head four times in one day at least once when doing the finishing straight.
Old 18 Nov 2004, 11:56 (Ref:1156954)   #23
Judd
Rookie

Judd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can I be the voice of dissent? Now I would have to agree that Shelsley's history is unrivalled and that it is a stunning place. Its the one I recommend friends to attend so they understand just how fast the big bangers go. However, I think its a little much to call it "heaven" and to herald it as significantly greater than any other track. The sheds are now very difficult to use with the larger cars and actually prevent the spectators getting really close and having a good look. As a driver I love the latest tarmaced facilities at Loton and find Harewood's paddock so much easier to move a trailer in. The Prescott estate is quite stunning, from the incredibly well kept grounds to the effort that goes into the Trust museum its an amazing family friendly place. And from a driver's point of view, well there's nothing like the intense satisfaction of a fast run up the technical Prescott or Loton. For me, they're both streaks ahead of Shelsley for the driver. And Harewood? Well one day I'll get every corner right and get a good time! Mistakes there are punished all the way up more so than anywhere else.

The attraction of hillclimbing for many people is the variety of tracks and the amazingly different character in all of them. I'm sure there are many teams of people looking after them all this winter, not just that mentioned here. I understand the title of the thread gives a hint about what one might find inside, but most of ten-tenths hillclimbing posts have been Shesley-biased and our long-lost pooch was entirely guilty of this too. Perhaps it is only Shelsley locals who have discovered the power of the internet and have the leisure time in which to use it!

Anyway, think about this - what would Shelsley be without its history? If a driver is only as good as his last run and not his career, well what about a track?

Discuss...............................!
Old 18 Nov 2004, 12:49 (Ref:1156995)   #24
ranoff
Racer

Dissent welcome!

Quote:
Originally posted by Judd
Can I be the voice of dissent?
I have no problem with a well constructed discussion document such as yours, and there is not much I can argue against. In defence, I suppose that many of us using this forum have been involved with SW for most of our adult lives and its difficult for us to move aside the feelings we have.
Quote:
However, I think its a little much to call it "heaven" and to herald it as significantly greater than any other track.
Floads and I are fairly tongue in cheek when we refer to it as heaven. Forgive us for this in our dotage. Its too late to stop us now. I do appreciate that much of the layout of the place is limiting in many respects, but the membership would oppose tearing out the historic Brooklands style sheds.
Quote:
I understand the title of the thread gives a hint about what one might find inside, but most of ten-tenths hillclimbing posts have been Shesley-biased and our long-lost pooch was entirely guilty of this too. Perhaps it is only Shelsley locals who have discovered the power of the internet and have the leisure time in which to use it!
It does rather look that way doesn't it!
Quote:
what would Shelsley be without its history?
Nobody would build anything like it today, but it is the product of its history. Prescott is to be admired and I am a member of that one too, to the annoyance of some friends. However, I am of the opinion that it has now become overdeveloped, but that is not to decry all the efforts that good people have put in. My friends also know me for enthusing about other venues and I have reported from all bar Wiscombe on the mainland. Doune is one I particularly favour. So I dont think I am too biased.

Be pleased to discuss further, perhaps eventually over a drink at a venue next season. I do think this thread is bringing out a high standard of discussion.
Old 18 Nov 2004, 13:04 (Ref:1157012)   #25
Jedi088
Rookie

Jedi088 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's the 4 wheel drive version of Dorcas I would like to find, did it survive the war years .I have a front wheel drive BSA trike and a motorcycle engined single seater so this may explain why I am so interested in Dorcas. It also makes an appearance in the MAC DVD