Old 18 Mar 2006, 05:26 (Ref:1551655)   #1
Halsey
Racer

Brazil
Tasmania
Halsey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
New engine for TGF

http://www.formula1.com/race/news/4121/752.html

It's hard to look past Alonso for the win, although I'd love for Fisichella to take the fight to him. Obviously it's also good for Button, the McLaren's (although I expect at least one to blow up), and Williams. It'll be a good test for Ferrari's pace with both cars having suffered a 10 slot penalty.
Old 18 Mar 2006, 05:41 (Ref:1551656)   #2
Halsey
Racer

Brazil
Tasmania
Forgive the double post, but I just thought of something - can someone please clarify/confirm this for me?

The drivers who have fresh engines but didn't retire in Bahrain (TGF, Coulthard & Massa) will go through qualifying, and assuming they make it through to the final session, will now be able to set a lap time running on petrol fumes, then fill up before the grand prix due to them starting outside the top 10.

To me it seems like a minor glitch/loophole in the rules.
Old 18 Mar 2006, 05:42 (Ref:1551657)   #3
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
3 out of 4 Ferrari engines with a 10 place penalty - not good for them.
Old 18 Mar 2006, 07:39 (Ref:1551679)   #4
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
FPV GTHO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsey
Forgive the double post, but I just thought of something - can someone please clarify/confirm this for me?

The drivers who have fresh engines but didn't retire in Bahrain (TGF, Coulthard & Massa) will go through qualifying, and assuming they make it through to the final session, will now be able to set a lap time running on petrol fumes, then fill up before the grand prix due to them starting outside the top 10.

To me it seems like a minor glitch/loophole in the rules.
I would think if they made it to the 3rd session, if they choose to fill up after doing a run on fumes, they have to start from the pits. Even if they chose not to run in the 3rd session i would think that still applies
Old 18 Mar 2006, 08:22 (Ref:1551694)   #5
Halsey
Racer

Brazil
Tasmania
Yeah, that's certainly what I gathered from what was said during the live timing.
Old 18 Mar 2006, 14:12 (Ref:1551819)   #6
maltafan
Veteran

Malta
obviously, Malta
maltafan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
This is the 4th Ferrari engine from 4 cars. I hope nothing happens to Klien now, as he is the only one with the Ferrari engine lasting from Bahrain's race.
Old 18 Mar 2006, 15:44 (Ref:1551886)   #7
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Amazing that Ferrari did all that hot weather testing to no avail, while some other teams have had no trouble with engines which had only ran in February in Europe before the races. It will be interesting to see whether Michael can do as much from midfield as Kimi could from the back last weekend.
Old 18 Mar 2006, 15:52 (Ref:1551897)   #8
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V
3 out of 4 Ferrari engines with a 10 place penalty - not good for them.
No not really. To be more blunt, it's pathetic.

Would have been nice to see Michael and Felipe up front joining the battle!

Although it may still happen yet....
Old 18 Mar 2006, 16:03 (Ref:1551910)   #9
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
. did any ferrari other than DCs actually failed ??.. or were those changed as a precaution ..

Ciao Marco
Old 18 Mar 2006, 16:05 (Ref:1551911)   #10
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I read somewhere it was something related to the pistons? So maybe not a heat-related problem.
Old 18 Mar 2006, 16:14 (Ref:1551918)   #11
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Piston rings apparently. Can't be more specific, sorry.
Old 18 Mar 2006, 16:16 (Ref:1551921)   #12
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
well . but did those engine fail .. or only shown signs that may fail ?? ..

Ciao Marco
Old 18 Mar 2006, 16:17 (Ref:1551923)   #13
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

There were serious doubts they would last the race so, yes, you have to assume they would have failed. Especially as Kliens has run a lot and hasn't been replaced.
Old 18 Mar 2006, 16:47 (Ref:1551947)   #14
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
The Ferrari engines are experiencing a blow by problem..