Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 27 Apr 2006, 21:58 (Ref:1596573)   #1
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Top Hat - Donington

I'm probably going to spectate on Monday, who can I expect to see from here?
Old 27 Apr 2006, 23:18 (Ref:1596602)   #2
SZRacer
Racer

England
North Cotswolds
SZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, I'll be there racing in the Oldies but Goldies race.

From a cursory glance at the entry list, I see that Peter Mallett, Louise Kennedy, Simon Drabble, and Zeffarelly are all down on the entry list.

Should be an action-packed day. If last year is anything to go by, the combination of the expected rain, mixed with about a week's worth of aviation fuel deposited on the circuit by planes flying overhead, makes for some very slippery racing!!!

James W
Old 28 Apr 2006, 07:01 (Ref:1596713)   #3
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
was testing there on Tuesday - new pits seem fairly straightfwd and we were on the GP circuit - I presume that it will be this w/e as well! I am in the Top Hat on Monday and my co owner/driver Roger is out on Sunday in his Daren as well
Old 28 Apr 2006, 07:25 (Ref:1596728)   #4
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SZRacer
Well, I'll be there racing in the Oldies but Goldies race.

From a cursory glance at the entry list, I see that Peter Mallett, Louise Kennedy, Simon Drabble, and Zeffarelly are all down on the entry list.
Sadly I withdrew two weeks ago due to work committments!

Hope its as good as last year's event. Not sure when my next chance will be but I'm hoping to "engineer" things to make Spa.

[O Topic]In the meantime I've booked a week off for the MGCC weekend and they've got two long distance races on the International circuit.[/O Topic]
Old 28 Apr 2006, 08:05 (Ref:1596743)   #5
LAK
Racer

LAK should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridLAK should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hi all. Yes, Jason and I will be there in the Falcon in Top Hat with Simon (don't think Zef is going BTW). James - who said anything about rain!!! Oh well, we'll just have to keep going sideways all the time instead of just 50% of the time...!

BTW James, I forgot to say how much we enjoyed watching you race at Castle Combe. I adore your car (being a Zagato fanatic) and you were going particulalry well despite your sickness (in your other message).

See you all there for the 60's disco?!
Old 28 Apr 2006, 08:08 (Ref:1596749)   #6
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The disco must be bette rthan the fare of the East Midlands Thistle where we are staying! By the way do you know if we can get scrute'd on Sunday? I readin the regs that there are fairly draconian rules about taking the cars in before 7pm
Old 28 Apr 2006, 08:46 (Ref:1596772)   #7
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Unfortunately we won't be going, too much work, not enough time and money etc, usual reasons !

Good luck to everyone, I'll be in the workshop building and fitting engines thie weekend, not running wide over the kerbs at the end of Redgate and the old hairpin like last year and the year before !!!
Old 28 Apr 2006, 09:23 (Ref:1596800)   #8
LAK
Racer

LAK should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridLAK should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
We'd be thinking whether signing on and srcutineering would be allowed on Sunday as well Simon. However as we aren't allowed in before 7pm, it seems unlikely. From a lazy point of view it would be good if we can avoid the 7.30 sign on as we are first race! If you find out Simon, let us know.

Also, by the looks of it we should be in the garage area - this should mean that we will get a garage. However I fear not as there are some competitors with car's racing on both Sunday and Monday, although they should really vacate on Sunday evening but I can't see many doing this. If you manage to grab a garage before we do Simon, could you do a share? Our car may be big but we don't have much equipment...

Zef, the race will be the lesser without you - get out and make some money and come back out to play soon!
Old 28 Apr 2006, 09:45 (Ref:1596819)   #9
simon drabble
Veteran

We will see if we can keep Rogers garage and if there is a spare half you are welcome to it - email me and I will give you my mobile number so we can liase - but if we are banned to siberia til 7 you will see me anyway - normal rig etc..!
Old 28 Apr 2006, 10:59 (Ref:1596876)   #10
LAK
Racer

Simon - you have PM
Old 28 Apr 2006, 15:33 (Ref:1597031)   #11
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
have fun folks, I expect full detailed reports on Tuesday by 10am

my consolation prize is a beer festival at my local this weekend ( after I've done an engine change tomorrow )
Old 28 Apr 2006, 19:42 (Ref:1597133)   #12
Moosehead
Veteran

Great stuff, hope to say hello to some of you in person then. LUK, I'll be the guy crawling underneath the Falcon!!
Old 29 Apr 2006, 19:20 (Ref:1597688)   #13
SZRacer
Racer

England
North Cotswolds
SZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for the nice comments, Louise.

I think i used to race against you and Jason in HSCC HRS?

I may not be the fastest out there, but i'm getting faster than last year, which is good. To be honest, the cars were so evenly matched, and the grid so full at Castle Combe, that i probably held back a bit more than usual, since SZ body panels aren't exactly available off the shelf!

The Falcon must be a bit different from the Fulvias! To be honest, i've always fancied a go in a big Yank tank. Blame too many conversations with Julian balme, and the fact that we're, er, similar builds...

Looking forward to trying to catch up with everyone at Donington. going to try to sneak the car in tomorrow. Is anyone going to the BBQ?

Regards,

James

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAK
Hi all. Yes, Jason and I will be there in the Falcon in Top Hat with Simon (don't think Zef is going BTW). James - who said anything about rain!!! Oh well, we'll just have to keep going sideways all the time instead of just 50% of the time...!

BTW James, I forgot to say how much we enjoyed watching you race at Castle Combe. I adore your car (being a Zagato fanatic) and you were going particulalry well despite your sickness (in your other message).

See you all there for the 60's disco?!
Old 29 Apr 2006, 21:57 (Ref:1597794)   #14
Moosehead
Veteran

Sorry.....LUK should obviously be LAK
Old 2 May 2006, 16:51 (Ref:1599469)   #15
Moosehead
Veteran

Great days racing (Monday) thanks everyone who took part.

The rain part way through the Top Hat race certainly put the cat amongst the pidgeons

I'm a bit confused by the 'Best of British' race. How or rather why is a modern kit car (Mamba .......a Lotus 23 lookalike) allowed to race amongst a field of genuine historics? Perhaps if it were running a contemporary engine then fair enough but it isn't, its a modern twin cam jobbie.
Old 2 May 2006, 19:33 (Ref:1599595)   #16
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I was down south at Brands so no pics from me. Anyone else take any that they are prepared to share? Also looking forward to a few comments and accounts from our regular posting racers (or should that be our regular racing posters?)

The last point raised by Moosehead is an interesting one and has echoes in our 'Originals v Replicas' thread.
Old 4 May 2006, 10:21 (Ref:1600554)   #17
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
What a great looking grid for the Top Hat saloons! Mick Walker's picture of the start (A/S, pg98) shows at least 13 different model types by my reckoning.