Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 15 Jun 2007, 22:03 (Ref:1937984)   #1
Rovernut
Rookie

Rovernut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Roy Pierpoint's Rover 1970's P6 3500 Racer

I am new to this Forum so please treat me gently.
I recently read an article in the MG Enthusiast mag about the Abingdon special developments department which had a hand in the development of the Rover P6 racer and would like to replicate the car as a project.
I would be interested to hear from anyone who has any information on the body mods which I understand was mainly aluminium as far as the bonnet and bootlid is concerned and I am aware the flared arches were fibreglass.
Any photos or information to enable me to undertake this project would be greatly appreciated.
Old 16 Jun 2007, 03:09 (Ref:1938107)   #2
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Welcome Rovernut...there are other threads that talk about P6s that may have already covered your questions....just do a search on 3500 or poole or somesuch....you can also limit your search to titles only....I believe the search engine won't find P6 (needs three digits)...Cheers, Mick
Old 16 Jun 2007, 06:11 (Ref:1938144)   #3
petestenning
Veteran

petestenning should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Traco rover p6

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?im...%3Den%26sa%3DN

iTS in german but that is the car.

Pete
Old 16 Jun 2007, 09:36 (Ref:1938217)   #4
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
MG Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rovernut
I am new to this Forum so please treat me gently.
I recently read an article in the MG Enthusiast mag about the Abingdon special developments department which had a hand in the development of the Rover P6 racer and would like to replicate the car as a project.
I would be interested to hear from anyone who has any information on the body mods which I understand was mainly aluminium as far as the bonnet and bootlid is concerned and I am aware the flared arches were fibreglass.
Any photos or information to enable me to undertake this project would be greatly appreciated.
RN...can you tell us which edition of MG Enthusiast it was???
Old 16 Jun 2007, 10:12 (Ref:1938237)   #5
Tincorna
Rookie

England
Barnsley
Tincorna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I found these in my folders, hope they're of use. Sounds like a great project, good luck!

If i can find anything else, i'll post it for you. I'm sure i have some color shots somewhere...
Old 16 Jun 2007, 18:15 (Ref:1938828)   #6
Rovernut
Rookie

Rovernut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tincorna
I found these in my folders, hope they're of use. Sounds like a great project, good luck!

If i can find anything else, i'll post it for you. I'm sure i have some color shots somewhere...
Thanks for the replies.

Tincorna - The one I am looking to replicate is the lower of your two pictures. The only serious body work will be the wheel arch extensions, front valence air dam and bonnet scoop as far as I can see. Its the MGC Sebring type look that appeals to me.
Old 18 Jun 2007, 09:28 (Ref:1940619)   #7
Tincorna
Rookie

England
Barnsley
Tincorna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are the photos i posted of two different cars, or is it the same car at a different stage of it's development?
Old 18 Jun 2007, 15:27 (Ref:1940837)   #8
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
You want to speak with David Tetley, he has just completed a renovation of one of these cars, not sure if its the one you mention but it looks like. He did send me a nice colour brosure on the project with some good pictures in it as he and his pal whose name escapes me for the moment but a well known face around the circuits plans to race it and raise money from donations for David's son who had a serious accident.

I just did a quick google and came up with this as a good starting point, no pictures though for some reason but I am sure if you contact Dave he will put something in the post to you. http://www.teamwillpower.org/intro.htm#HISTORY
Old 18 Jun 2007, 16:08 (Ref:1940864)   #9
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There was one for sale last year.

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...light=Rover+P6
Old 18 Jun 2007, 17:23 (Ref:1940908)   #10
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Rovernut,I restored the 4 door version for my ex-boss Arthur Carter,this was back in the early eighties,car was bought through Gerry Marshall.You are correct in that the wings were in Fibre Glass,The doors .Bonnet .Boot &Roof were all in ally.I had to remake the front AirDam,s,they had been ripped on the trailer!.Bill Nicholson was responsible for the original builds.One car [2door] was in Australia when Carter bought his car.I can remember when we first fired it up,just to check it all out,10in wide slicks on a very damp public road was quite a lot of fun!!I hope this is of some help to you.
As an extra,when Roy was racing on the ring,everyone thought there had been a big shunt because the Rover came around all on its own,52seconds later the rest of the field arrived!!!

Last edited by terence; 18 Jun 2007 at 17:28.
Old 18 Jun 2007, 19:29 (Ref:1941011)   #11
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Coincidentally, the car is the subject of a piece by Peter Browning in this month's MG Enthusiast magazine (naturally....)

Looking at the website, the Team Willpower car seems to be a replica destined for the Youngtimer Trophy in Germany- looks like a stunning bit of kit....

http://www.teamwillpower.org/

http://www.roverp6.info/Fotos/Racer_...mwillpower.htm
Old 18 Jun 2007, 19:39 (Ref:1941015)   #12
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
David drove with us in ModProds for a while and was very good, an ex-motorcycle racer I believe so I am sure he will get the best out of the car where ever it races, thoughly nice bloke as well.
Old 18 Jun 2007, 19:42 (Ref:1941016)   #13
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower
As an extra,when Roy was racing on the ring,everyone thought there had been a big shunt because the Rover came around all on its own,52seconds later the rest of the field arrived!!!
According to Bill Price's book, at times it was lapping around 4 minutes a lap faster than the rival factory Porsche 914s, although the Porsches were running to strict team orders based on testing times (allegedly Porsche had done TWO 86-hour tests at the Ring before the Marathon...).

Retirement came after 16 hours with gearbox problems caused by a propshaft vibration- it was 3 laps in the lead.... The Porsches went on to finish 1-2-3

http://homepage.mac.com/frank_de_jon...g%2084hrs.html
Old 18 Jun 2007, 21:18 (Ref:1941099)   #14
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I suppose the colours just about right on this recreation,but the wheel arches are quite a long way off the original.It was nice to have read the book,Bill kindly signed it for me,but to read about something that I,d actually restored was quite good.Shame the book was,nt writen before hand,the car would have been easier to restore!

Last edited by terence; 18 Jun 2007 at 21:25.
Old 19 Jun 2007, 20:38 (Ref:1942025)   #15
GolddustMini
Veteran

GolddustMini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i saw a picture of this car as a kid in a rover book my grandad had, 12 years on and its still lodged in my head as something i want to create a replica of. lovely cars