Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 25 Oct 2002, 13:51 (Ref:413210)   #1
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
CART extends contract with Surfers till 2008

http://www.motorsport.com/news/artic...109856&SN=CART

Quote:
SURFERS PARADISE (October 25, 2002) - As yet another of the wildly successful CART FedEx Championship Series events on the Gold Coast of Australia gets underway this weekend, CART and the organizers of the event in Surfers Paradise today announced the signing of a new contract to bring the high-speed Champ Cars back to the Australian streets through the year 2008. This year's Honda Indy 300 marks the 12th season that CART will race in the streets of the Queensland resort town and the event has been breaking attendance records nearly every season of its existence, cementing its status as one of the highest-drawing events on the CART schedule. The contract, announced today by the Hon. Peter Beattie, Premier of the State of Queensland, John Cowley, Chairman of Gold Coast Motor Events Company, the organizer of the event and Christopher R. Pook, CART President and CEO, will keep the event in its late October time frame for five more years following the current term which was to expire in 2003. "The event in Surfers Paradise has long been an example of how a race should be run and we are very pleased to be able to continue our relationship," said CART President and CEO Christopher R. Pook. "The event is extremely popular with our drivers, teams, sponsors and most importantly the public. The event is a very important part of our ongoing strategy to deliver key markets to our constituents and this agreement reflects the value that our series can deliver into a vital market such as the State of Queensland." The four-day event is expected to draw over 300,000 fans this year, and saw a crowd of 53,069 come through the gates on Thursday - a number that was an 11 percent increase from last year's opening-day crowd. "This event injects an estimated $50million into Queensland's economy each year and we're well on target to attract record crowds of more than 300,000 over the four days of racing for the first time - double the original attendance in 1991," Beattie said
Great news!

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 25 Oct 2002, 15:49 (Ref:413335)   #2
FastCar5
Rookie

Canada
Toronto, Canada
FastCar5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you take out that big-rectangle-with-four-corners race in the heart of Indiana does the rest of the entire IRL season come close to 300 000 paid attendance? Just asking.
Old 25 Oct 2002, 16:20 (Ref:413368)   #3
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's excellent, and the upcoming race in Mexico should do just as well.
Old 25 Oct 2002, 16:31 (Ref:413386)   #4
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't think any other IRL event sells as many as the Houston street course does.
Never forget #99
Old 25 Oct 2002, 17:01 (Ref:413414)   #5
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great! Always looking forward to Surfers!
Old 26 Oct 2002, 18:53 (Ref:414112)   #6
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!

Probably my favourite street venue!
Old 26 Oct 2002, 19:07 (Ref:414118)   #7
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's good! I've been driving around this track on my computer, and I must say, it has a very similar feel to the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve!

And yes, one of your more scenic venues (we seem to have a lot of these!).
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 27 Oct 2002, 00:54 (Ref:414326)   #8
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
But as opposed to Miami, this great location has a decent race track
Old 27 Oct 2002, 01:09 (Ref:414333)   #9
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Australian's love their CART racing, and it proves by the fact attendance has grown every year. And now with the V8 Supercars sharing the weekend, it was bound to be a massive success.