Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 Sep 2004, 20:01 (Ref:1094383)   #1
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Hugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If you were DC - what would you do with the options on offer?

I know there is a thread on here about whether DC is finished (which I don't think he is and I ain't wanting to start any bashing thing here) but I was wondering what you guys would do given the options that now seem open.

On the basis that DC doesn't need the dosh, what would you do if you were in his shoes?

a) Drive for mid-team that has little chance of podiums?
b) Test drive for a bigger team?
c) Retire gracefully, after a good career and go into the media - which I reckon he could easily do?

It's a hard call, but I think good sportsmen and women need to time their exit well to maximise the impact of their career. It's sad to see really good people continuing and then slowly fading out, and we could name a few.

I think if I were him, and podiums were going to be tough to get, I may make a bold move and surprise people by quitting and trying to make the most of my experience with a media option, maybe combined with testing.

I'm sure some of you will think keep on racing whatever while you can, but I'd rather be in total control of my decisions rather than hanging around hoping someone may want me.
Old 12 Sep 2004, 20:07 (Ref:1094388)   #2
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'd either sign for Ford or BAR, or get out.
Old 12 Sep 2004, 20:09 (Ref:1094389)   #3
T0MAT01
Veteran

England
Focknowles Weir
T0MAT01 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He should take note of Panis: stick to PR and testing, no point in prolonging the agony.
Old 12 Sep 2004, 20:13 (Ref:1094396)   #4
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Hugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Interestingly I read Panis' statement on the Toyota site this evening.

All credit to the guy - dignity and reality.

I admire him!
Old 12 Sep 2004, 20:57 (Ref:1094430)   #5
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Should he not find a drive, i reckon Ron will offer him a testing role.
Old 12 Sep 2004, 22:01 (Ref:1094481)   #6
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ron's already said that a testing role is available if he wants it.

In any case, he could ge tthe BAR drive, adn they'll have every chance of podiums, and maybe Toyota would be able to compete for them next year, or Jaguar in 2006? I think he should continue, if only to prove some people wrong.
Old 12 Sep 2004, 22:06 (Ref:1094487)   #7
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The three options Hugh lists are probably not the only ones DC has.

Both BAR and Ford could be decent drives.
Old 12 Sep 2004, 22:34 (Ref:1094513)   #8
alesi95
Veteran

alesi95 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i'd probably have a nice cry.
Old 12 Sep 2004, 23:43 (Ref:1094535)   #9
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
If the BAR seat is available, I'd go for that, no question. They have a good chance of finishing 2nd in the championship this year, and who can say how competitive they'll be next year? No reason to assume they'll decline. It may even be a more competitive seat than the McLaren one he's leaving!
Old 13 Sep 2004, 01:50 (Ref:1094595)   #10
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
The BAR seat may be at least as competitive as the McLaren seat - or at least more reliable!

DC is not my favorite but I have to admit he looked pretty racy today and was having none of Pizzonia pranging in to him late in the race.

It doesn't look like the field is passing him by just yet.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 13 Sep 2004, 05:58 (Ref:1094689)   #11
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

True if he does get the BAR offer that would be very good and worth taking - not so sure about Ford (!) but then again I may be biased on that one.
Old 13 Sep 2004, 08:07 (Ref:1094760)   #12
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
If I was him I woild give it one year in the best F1 drive he can get, and then review how it went before deciding whether to call it a day or not.
Old 14 Sep 2004, 00:21 (Ref:1095808)   #13
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think DC still has some racing left in him, and there are teams out there that could use a steady, expierienced hand like his. I also think that a change of scenery would do him some good.

So I say, take an offer to drive, not test, and give it a year, and then decide to stay or leave...

Danica Patrick
Old 14 Sep 2004, 17:20 (Ref:1096488)   #14
courageous
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chatham, Kent
courageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcourageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
quit while you are ahead (or not), go do Le Mans or some other endurance races - DC knows how to finish a race.
Old 14 Sep 2004, 18:06 (Ref:1096534)   #15
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If Bar offer him a drive he should take it obviously...

otherwise at his age would it be really worthwhile to drive for a midfield team... if he really wants he could but i think it would be best for him to opt out...
Old 14 Sep 2004, 23:48 (Ref:1096865)   #16
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If he's a racer at heard then he should get the best drive possible and acheive what he can. Recall that Irvine felt his greatest accomplishment as a driver was during his final year with Jaguar. Even so if Irvine was a racer at heart he'd still be racing somewhere. One can race for the sake of racing and performing at ones best regardless of car or they can feel that it only matters if they're receiving accolateds that are 95% related to their car.

Personally I would like it if he left the series so we can see someone more interesting and potential more talented race.
Old 16 Sep 2004, 20:48 (Ref:1098725)   #17
raul_iulian
Racer

Romania
Arad, Romania
raul_iulian has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
DC an BAR... just perfect!
Old 17 Sep 2004, 02:20 (Ref:1098882)   #18
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The options you gave didn't quite suit the situation so i've changed them slightly

a) Drive for mid-team that has little chance of podiums? [and even less with this slow poke driver!]

b) Test drive for a bigger team? [Good choice,**** off and don't show your face in f1 again]
c) Retire gracefully [disgracefully more like], after a good [failed career!!] career and go into the media - which I reckon he could easily do?[please no,not that.I don't care how good he is at this,we don't need to see him every other week!! James allen is enough!]

too harsh?
tough.That's what you get for hogging one of the best seats for years and doing nothing with it (except talk alot)
Old 17 Sep 2004, 08:37 (Ref:1099025)   #19
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Did Jaguar have any chance of podiums without Irvine? Or Sauber without Alesi when he joined? Or Arrows when Hill joined? DC's the ideal man to help a mid-field team maximise its results.

And if you think there's somethign disgraceful about being consistantly nearly as good as 2 World Champions and a sure-fire future champion, then I suggest you rethink. Less than 800 drivers have competed in F1, and very few have won more races than Coulthard. No one would claim he's the greatest, but calling him slow is just insulting.
Old 17 Sep 2004, 11:44 (Ref:1099159)   #20
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well, that Ford seat has just disappeared. The number left is diminishing...

IMO he may be left on the sidelines for next season. No-one really appears interested in his services as a race driver...
Old 17 Sep 2004, 11:55 (Ref:1099185)   #21
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think he may well have already agreed a deal at BAR, which won't be announced until the Button case is dealt with.
Old 17 Sep 2004, 11:57 (Ref:1099190)   #22
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Kicking-back
I think he may well have already agreed a deal at BAR, which won't be announced until the Button case is dealt with.
Hopefully this is the case. He's lost a few potential seats in a matter of days...
Old 17 Sep 2004, 12:09 (Ref:1099213)   #23
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
Too early to say that DF. If Purcell or Stewart buy Jaguar out, both would probably want DC to lead the team (although BAR would be this best option)
Old 17 Sep 2004, 12:22 (Ref:1099230)   #24
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by RWC
The options you gave didn't quite suit the situation so i've changed them slightly

a) Drive for mid-team that has little chance of podiums? [and even less with this slow poke driver!]

b) Test drive for a bigger team? [Good choice,**** off and don't show your face in f1 again]
c) Retire gracefully [disgracefully more like], after a good [failed career!!] career and go into the media - which I reckon he could easily do?[please no,not that.I don't care how good he is at this,we don't need to see him every other week!! James allen is enough!]

too harsh?
tough.That's what you get for hogging one of the best seats for years and doing nothing with it (except talk alot)

Too harsh?

Perhaps not, but offensive in a wholly unneceessary way. I couldn't even find the IMO......
Old 17 Sep 2004, 14:51 (Ref:1099400)   #25
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide
No one would claim he's the greatest, but calling him slow is just insulting.
Yes,well
That's what i am doing i guess

He IS slow