Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 18 Apr 2005, 10:14 (Ref:1281054)   #1
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
Mike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tilke - Rio, a familiar story ????

I found this :- http://www.riogp.com.br/projeto1.asp
its Rio's cut down of its track to make room for the Pan american games which the city is hosting ... now at first it looks like it has been cut in half, with the usual Tilke hairpin at Sul. Also with roads around the stadiums and such ...... but on closer inspection I think it seems after the games the track will run around the stadiums ..... although I'm not 100% on that, anyway what do you all think ??? Is it an attempt to take the Brazilian GP away from Sao Paulo AFTER the Pan American games have been and gone ???

Last edited by Mike_Wooshy; 18 Apr 2005 at 10:18.
Old 18 Apr 2005, 11:16 (Ref:1281119)   #2
Lustigson
Veteran

Netherlands
Huizen
Lustigson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That looks like a pretty OK track to me.
Old 18 Apr 2005, 11:26 (Ref:1281128)   #3
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
Mike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well I was expecting worse, feels a little like bahrain, although that could be just me.
Old 18 Apr 2005, 13:11 (Ref:1281221)   #4
the_royksopp
Veteran

Denmark
Skørping, Denmark
the_royksopp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Is it an attempt to take the Brazilian GP away from Sao Paulo AFTER the Pan American games have been and gone ???
I dont think so. The track would be way too short.
Old 18 Apr 2005, 14:15 (Ref:1281266)   #5
Lustigson
Veteran

Netherlands
Huizen
Looking at the track a second time: it appears to be counter-clockwise... which makes it even better. However, are the sections on the right no longer part of the track? Those two fast left-handers? That makes the story a bit different.
Old 18 Apr 2005, 14:25 (Ref:1281275)   #6
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So the old track will not be restored after this Pan American thingy?
Old 18 Apr 2005, 14:58 (Ref:1281307)   #7
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_royksopp
I dont think so. The track would be way too short.
my understanding that the track will be about 3.1 miles which is plently long enough,
Lustigson, yer it will be Anti clockwise, The part on the left as we look at is more or less half of the circuit we have today(the darker grey circuit), I presume this will be used During the Pan-am games. The lighter grey track I presume would be for transport for the games during them (like Olympic Bolavuade (sp?)). But looking in the bottom right under the writing "masterplan" there is a circuit with both, so I would presume that AFTER the games that will be made thus creating the 3.1 Miles.
P, No the original track will not be in use after the games.
Old 18 Apr 2005, 15:13 (Ref:1281325)   #8
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
wait, the light grey isn't the old track is it? stupid me...

I was hoping that the track wouldn't be cut short permanently to the dark grey bit...
Old 18 Apr 2005, 15:27 (Ref:1281349)   #9
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
well I think its only while the Panam Games are there or thats what I preusme but I could be wrong.
Old 18 Apr 2005, 15:49 (Ref:1281372)   #10
the_royksopp
Veteran

Denmark
Skørping, Denmark
Youre wrong there, Wooshy, the track is 3.1 miles now, and its gonna be about half the size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Etracksonline.co.uk
Is top class racing over at Rio?

MARCH 1, 2005: Top class racing looks to be all-but dead at Rio's Jacarepaguá circuit, with news that half of it is to be torn up to make way for an athletics village.

Rio's Mayor, Cesar Maia, has approved plans to create a complec for the 2007 Pan-American Games, which the city is hosting. The circuit will be reduced from its current 3.08-mile layout to just 1.67 miles, with a watersports park and indoor sports arena built on the northern portion of the track.

Also disappearing will be the 'roval' course, which has remained dormant since the last Champ Car visit in 2000. The circuit is set to close for the whole of 2006 while the alterations take place.

Motorsports fans have been battling the plans for several years but appear to have lost their battle. Only national-level racing will be possible at the shortened circuit, which will not be long enough to qualify for an international licence.

No MotoGP race

MotoGP bosses have announced that they will not return to the track in 2005 as a result. Rio's slot on the calendar will instead be taken by the Istanbul Otodrom in Turkey.

The new facility will be known as the Rio Speedway Sports Complex, with a velodrome for cycling, indoor arena for gymnastics and basketball, together with the National Aquatics Centre.

The Rio Sports Plaza Association, which will provide full financing for the construction, won a public bid to reconstruct Jacarepaguá and has been granted to right to utilize the Sports Complex for 50 years. Construction on the $150 million project is expected to begin next April.

Old 18 Apr 2005, 15:51 (Ref:1281374)   #11
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
no it will only be half while the pan-am games are on (see heavy grey track) then my understanding is it will use both Light grey and heavy grey.
Old 18 Apr 2005, 15:52 (Ref:1281375)   #12
Lustigson
Veteran

Netherlands
Huizen
If you look at it this way, it's actually pretty good, I think.

Old 18 Apr 2005, 15:55 (Ref:1281377)   #13
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
that would be the track that I understand to be the track used after the pan am games.
Old 18 Apr 2005, 16:08 (Ref:1281388)   #14
Lustigson
Veteran

Netherlands
Huizen
Dudes, it's busy all of a sudden.
Old 18 Apr 2005, 17:28 (Ref:1281442)   #15
the_royksopp
Veteran

Denmark
Skørping, Denmark
Well, i seem to remember to have heard, that the old Jacarepaguá will be gone forever, but i might be wrong. Though, as it wont be long enough to be granted an international license, it's for sure not gonna be bidding for the Brazilian Grand Prix.
Old 19 Apr 2005, 07:38 (Ref:1281854)   #16
Lustigson
Veteran

Netherlands
Huizen
Hey, TR! You might be right about the 'original' track disappearing. However, if you study the map closely, you see that the right-most part of the circuit has run-off. It could be that those roads will be used for the fair/exibition/whatever, but will be available for racing afterwards.
Old 19 Apr 2005, 13:26 (Ref:1282090)   #17
the_royksopp
Veteran

Denmark
Skørping, Denmark
According to Etracks, it'll look like this,

Old 19 Apr 2005, 14:06 (Ref:1282130)   #18
Lustigson
Veteran

Netherlands
Huizen
Hmm... that doesn't look too good, now, does it. They chopped off half the track. :\
Old 19 Apr 2005, 14:30 (Ref:1282156)   #19
Flaming_Wuzzle
Racer

United States
a house
Flaming_Wuzzle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the layout TR posted will be for before and during the Pan-Am games (if there's any racing then) then will switch to the layout L and Mike posted afterward.
Old 19 Apr 2005, 14:40 (Ref:1282169)   #20
Lustigson
Veteran

Netherlands
Huizen
Now that I look at TR's picture again, I don't think this is accurate. Check out the first corner!
Old 19 Apr 2005, 15:07 (Ref:1282189)   #21
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
TR your map is acctuley before the idea tilke was doing this, now that tilke has been involved we seem to a proposal to have the track kept at its lengh, its quiet ironic that tilke destroyed hockenhiem but saved Rio .... kinda
Old 19 Apr 2005, 15:31 (Ref:1282200)   #22
the_royksopp
Veteran

Denmark
Skørping, Denmark
Quote:
I think the layout TR posted will be for before and during the Pan-Am games (if there's any racing then) then will switch to the layout L and Mike posted afterward.
Might be so, yes.

(Hope so )
Old 19 Apr 2005, 15:32 (Ref:1282202)   #23
the_royksopp
Veteran

Denmark
Skørping, Denmark
But is Tilke actually involved?
Old 19 Apr 2005, 15:33 (Ref:1282203)   #24
Lustigson
Veteran

Netherlands
Huizen
Good question, TR. I didn't see any references to Rio on the Tilke site.
Old 19 Apr 2005, 15:34 (Ref:1282205)   #25
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
the tilke site is never updated ..... well i didnt think it was when i looked around it.