Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 16 Apr 2009, 03:15 (Ref:2441900)   #1
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Burnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
F1 2009 Round 3 - Chinese Grand Prix

With less than 24 hours until the first Free Practice session starts in Shanghai, I thought we needed the Chinese GP race thread - so here it is!

After just five races since the 2008 Chinese Grand Prix, Formula One returns to Shanghai in what will be the track's first ever April slot. The change from its usual October date means that the temperatures will be cooler and, perhaps more significantly, the chance of rain will be higher. Bridgestone will be bringing the medium and super-soft tyres - the same compounds which were used at the Australian Grand Prix at the beginning of the season.

The controversial diffusers being used by the Brawn, Toyota and Williams teams have been declared legal by the FIA; and so there are to be no ammendments to the current championship standings - at least, that is, until April 29th, when the World Motor Sport Council meets to rule on the allegation that McLaren was in breach of the International Sporting Code in Melbourne.

Here are the "vital statistics" that you will need for the weekend ahead...

Formula 1 World Drivers Championship Standings

Pos.DriverAndy Blackmore ImageConstructorPoints
1.Jenson ButtonBrawn Mercedes15
2.Rubens BarrichelloBrawn Mercedes10
3.Jarno TrulliToyota
4.Timo GlockToyota8
5.Nick HeidfeldBMW Sauber4
6.Fernando AlonsoRenault4
7.Nico RosbergWilliams Toyota
8.Sébastien BuemiToro Rosso Ferrari2
9.Mark WebberRed Bull Renault
10.Lewis HamiltonMcLaren Mercedes1
11.Sébastien BourdaisToro Rosso Ferrari1

Formula 1 World Constructors Championship Standings

Pos.ConstructorPoints
1.Brawn Mercedes25
2.Toyota16½
3.BMW Sauber4
4.Renault4
5.Williams Toyota
6.Toro Rosso Ferrari3
7.Red Bull Renault
8.McLaren Mercedes1

Shanghai International Circuit

LengthDirectionTurnsLapsLap Record
5.451km (3.387 miles)Clockwise16561:32.238 (Michael Schumacher, 2004)

2008 Chinese Grand Prix

Pole Position (Time)Fastest Lap (Time)Winner
Lewis Hamilton (1:36.303)Lewis Hamilton (1:36.325)Lewis Hamilton

Previous Winners

YearDriverConstructor
2007Kimi RäikkönenFerrari
2006Michael SchumacherFerrari
2005Fernando AlonsoRenault
2004Rubens BarrichelloFerrari

External Links

Internal Links

If we could keep discussion on past events to a minimum, I would greatly appreciate it. I'm not pretending to be a moderator, I'm just getting tired of reading about diffusers There are already threads covering the diffuser controversy, the Hamilton/McLaren affair and the scheduled WMSC hearing - feel free to join in the debate there if you haven't already done so.

Paul
Old 16 Apr 2009, 03:18 (Ref:2441901)   #2
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Burnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
...continued

I didn't want to clutter up the original post too much, so for UK viewers and listeners, here are the scheduled television, interactive and radio times for the race weekend...

BBC Television Schedule

DateTimeSession/ProgrammeChannel
Saturday 18th April0600 - 0815Qualifying
1300 - 1415Qualifying (R)
1900 - 2000Jim Clark: The Quiet Champion
Sunday 19th April0110 - 0210Jim Clark: The Quiet Champion (R)
0700 - 1000Race
1305 - 1505Race (R)
1900 - 2000Race Highlights
Monday 20th April0110 - 0210Race Highlights (R)

BBC Red Button Schedule

DateTimeSession/ProgrammeChannel
Friday 17th April0255 - 0435Free Practice 1
0655 - 0835Free Practice 2
Saturday 18th April0355 - 0505Free Practice 3
0800 - Sun 0600Qualifying (looped)
Sunday 19th April0700 - 1000Race
1000 - 1100Interactive Forum
1000 - Mon 2300Race Highlights (looped)

BBC Radio Schedule

DateTimeSession/ProgrammeStation
Friday 17th April0255 - 0435Free Practice 1
0655 - 0835Free Practice 2
2130 - 2200Grand Prix Preview
Saturday 18th April0355 - 0505Free Practice 3
0655 - 0805Qualifying
Sunday 19th April0745 - 1000Race
BLUE = Radio 5 Live / GREEN = Radio 5 Live Sports Extra

NB: Don't take all of this as being 100% correct! I did my best to ensure its accuracy, but the times are subject to change, and I am subject to making mistakes
Old 16 Apr 2009, 03:26 (Ref:2441906)   #3
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Formula 1 2009, Round 3 - VI Chinese Grand Prix

The Formula 1 circus this weekend heads to Shanghai in China for Round 3 of the 2009 season. After two races, Jenson Button remains unbeaten with two pole positions and two wins. With the decision this week that the 'double decker' diffusers are legal, it seems this weekend may well be another Brawn-Toyota whitewash. Williams seem to have good speed over one lap, with Nico Rosberg setting the fastest lap in Australia, but so far have been relatively unable to use their car design to bring any success. Red Bull will once again be in the mix, as will the KERS equipped cars, with China's long back straight giving them a good chance to use their extra horsepower boost.

Of the 5 previous Chinese Grands Prix, no driver has won twice. Ferrari is the most successful team here, having won 3 GPs (Barrichello 2004, Schumacher 2006, Raikkonen 2007) The Shanghai International Circuit is not renowned for being particularly hard on the car, although the brakes do get a good test on a few of the tight hairpins on the Hermann Tilke designed track. Watch for chaos as the cars enter the first corner complex, with its tricky increasing-radius hairpin...

Another Brawn 1-2? That's the way I think it will pan out, barring technical failure. Lewis Hamilton has proved twice now that even with a substandard car he can still bring it home in the points, and this may well be the case again here. Can Felipe Massa improve from his poor effort in Malaysia? Top 10 perhaps... Expect Timo GlockDog and Trulli to feature in the Top 5 as well. Kubica or Heidfeld? Heidfeld has the advantage with KERS, but Kubica may have more raw speed then him. An interesting match, and one to look for during the race.

MALAYSIAN GRAND PRIX - STATS

Formula 1 World Drivers Championship Standings (after Round 2)
Pos.DriverCarConstructorPoints
1.Jenson ButtonBrawn-Mercedes15
2.Rubens BarrichelloBrawn-Mercedes10
3.Jarno TrulliToyota8.5
4.Timo GlockDOGToyota8
5.Nick HeidfeldBMW Sauber4
6.Fernando AlonsoRenault4
7.Nico RosbergWilliams-Toyota3.5
8.Sebastien BuemiSTR-Ferrari2
9.Mark WebberRBR-Renault1.5
10.Lewis HamiltonMcLaren-Mercedes1
11.Sebastien BourdaisSTR-Ferrari1

All Formula 1 smilies courtesy of Andy Blackmore Design

Shanghai International Circuit
LengthDirectionTurnsLap Record (Driver, Year)Map
5.541km (3.387mi)Clockwise161:32.238 (Michael Schumacher, 2004)

2008 V Sinopec Chinese Grand Prix
Pole Position (Time)Fastest Lap (Time)Winner
Lewis Hamilton (1:36.303) Lewis Hamilton (1:36.325) Lewis Hamilton

Previous Winners
YearDriverTeam
2007Kimi RaikkonenFerrari
2006Michael SchumacherFerrari
2005Fernando AlonsoRenault
2004Rubens BarrichelloFerrari

Useful Links
Predictions Competition

Fantasy F1

Don't forget to check out the 10-Tenths chat room- There will no doubt be a few anoraks in there for every session.

To log in through 10-Tenths, click here.

You can also access the chat using a dedicated client.

If you're using Firefox, download the Chatzilla addon as the best alternative https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/16

Else, download any other IRC client, e.g. http://www.icechat.net/site/

The IRC server is irc.phishy.net, and the room is #motorsport (type "/join #motorsport" without the quotes when you're connected).

BBC Broadcast Schedule
DateSession/ProgrammeTimeTVInteractiveRadio
Friday, April 17Free Practice 10255-0435 
 Free Practice 20655-0835 
Saturday, April 18Free Practice 30355-0505 
 Qualifying0600-0815
 Qualifying Re-run1300-1415  
Sunday, April 19Race0700-1000
 Interactive Forum1000-1100  
 Race Re-run1305-1505
 Highlights 11900-2000 
Monday, April 20Highlights 20110-0210 
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 16 Apr 2009, 03:55 (Ref:2441911)   #4
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I can't wait. I haven't been this excited about Grand Prix racing for years.

5.05am. I appear to have become nocturnal again. I plan to keep this up for tomorrow night.
Old 16 Apr 2009, 04:31 (Ref:2441921)   #5
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Mike Gascoyne will be filling in for Eddie Jordan on the BBC this weekend.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/jakehumph...n_the_air.html
Old 16 Apr 2009, 07:17 (Ref:2441959)   #6
Lotusonpole
Veteran

United Kingdom
NW England
Lotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks Burnsie and Chatters
Great work compiling the 'Everything you need to know' tables.

I can only repeat Born Racers comments on excitement.

This year has really caught me hook, line and sinker.
And now with a great sigh of relief after the diffusser ruling, with only 29th April to worry about, I can just concentrate on enjoying China.

Here's to a stonkingly good race, rain or shine.
Old 16 Apr 2009, 08:32 (Ref:2442015)   #7
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Apologies to non-UK viewers;

Is the BBC coverage a 1hr pre-race and an 0800hrs UK time start?
Old 16 Apr 2009, 09:18 (Ref:2442041)   #8
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Something which has surprised me, Bridgestone has brought the Super Soft and Hard spec tyres to China, which Alonso is not happy about, and has had a rant about it to the press saying "we cant race on the super soft".

Another tyre-storm brewing?

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/74491
Old 16 Apr 2009, 09:34 (Ref:2442047)   #9
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
Something which has surprised me, Bridgestone has brought the Super Soft and Hard spec tyres to China, which Alonso is not happy about, and has had a rant about it to the press saying "we cant race on the super soft".

Another tyre-storm brewing?

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/74491
I was surprised when I first saw the tyre choice too although I assumed Bridgestone knew what they were doing .

I have to say I think Alonso may have a point different tyres is one thing but a tyre that will be shredded in a few laps is just silly. Even so blaming the tyre specifications for the Vettel/Kubica collision is just crazy of course. It is tantamount to argue that all the cars should go at the same speed so that there would be no 'dangerous' incidents where they get close together.

At the end of the day even if it is a bad call by Bridgestone the tyres are the same for everyone, as long as they are not going to actually fly apart the teams will do what they have to do in order to live with it and if it rains they won't have to race on them
Old 16 Apr 2009, 10:04 (Ref:2442060)   #10
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If the tyres last 1 lap or 100, every car has to use them.
Alonso seems to be doing a lot of complaining about things lately, I feel he should shut his mouth a little bit and get on with the driving.
Old 16 Apr 2009, 10:21 (Ref:2442076)   #11
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I love the competition on this forum to start the race threads.
Old 16 Apr 2009, 10:37 (Ref:2442095)   #12
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
In case anyone else was wondering why there is so much information at the start of this thread, it seems that Chatters and I both had the same idea at the same time (well, technically I was 11 minutes earlier but that's splitting hairs ) and our threads were merged together. I'm not sure if this is a case of 'great minds think alike' or 'fools sledom differ'...

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Is the BBC coverage a 1hr pre-race and an 0800hrs UK time start?
Yes, the telly comes on at 0700 and the lights go out at 0800.
Old 16 Apr 2009, 12:04 (Ref:2442174)   #13
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Alonso seems to be doing a lot of complaining about things lately, I feel he should shut his mouth a little bit and get on with the driving.
I reckon that's unfair. He appears to say all the right things here for instance: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/74466
Old 16 Apr 2009, 12:05 (Ref:2442175)   #14
Cougar
Veteran

South Africa
London(ex RSA)
Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
Yeah I have given up on that! Good job though guys!

What sort of motorist are you... Smooth or Hairy

I'm definitely hairy.
Old 16 Apr 2009, 12:17 (Ref:2442188)   #15
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
I'm not sure if this is a case of 'great minds think alike' or 'fools sledom differ'...
Ha, nice one Burnsie.
Old 16 Apr 2009, 14:22 (Ref:2442274)   #16
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
I reckon that's unfair. He appears to say all the right things here for instance: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/74466
Agreed that he is saying the right things there. It's just some of his comments about other matters have been unnecessary.
Old 16 Apr 2009, 18:11 (Ref:2442452)   #17
Andy77
Veteran

Andy77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I gonna try to be up for session 1 tonite.
Not too easy though since there is football tonite too.
Old 16 Apr 2009, 20:22 (Ref:2442532)   #18
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Let's hope for another exciting race !
Old 16 Apr 2009, 22:47 (Ref:2442617)   #19
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
Let's hope for another exciting race !
If it is half as exciting as the 'intro thread starting' competition on tenths then we are set.
Old 16 Apr 2009, 23:10 (Ref:2442629)   #20
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy77 View Post
I gonna try to be up for session 1 tonite.
I'm going to try to get up for the first two practice sessions, although I wouldn't be surprised if I ignore my alarm clock for FP1.

The weather seems to be good at the moment - cool but dry.
Old 16 Apr 2009, 23:47 (Ref:2442651)   #21
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralf fan View Post
If it is half as exciting as the 'intro thread starting' competition on tenths then we are set.

A PM going into your direction...
Old 17 Apr 2009, 00:05 (Ref:2442658)   #22
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
A certain 10/10ths member in the Gulf area may be pleased to hear (or may already know) about this.

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns21367.html

Should also add that Ferrari are not using their KERS for "technical reasons".
Old 17 Apr 2009, 01:53 (Ref:2442677)   #23
Andy77
Veteran

Coffee is set up and Premiere tuned in. They currently show Inside F1 and just 3 minutes until start of fp1 coverage
Old 17 Apr 2009, 02:00 (Ref:2442678)   #24
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Morning Andy, morning everyone...

The first 90 minute practice session is underway. Present air temperature 16°C (track temperature 25°C) which is much cooler than Melbourne, when the teams last used these tyre compound options - medium and super-soft.
Old 17 Apr 2009, 02:09 (Ref:2442680)   #25
Andy77
Veteran

ahhh not alone
good morning Burnsie.

There are some quite nice circuit graphics at:
http://sponsoring.allianz.com/en/for...cuit_graphics/