Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 9 Dec 2004, 20:08 (Ref:1175568)   #1
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Some questions about media accreditation

I know this subject has been covered several times before, I read through some of the older thread last night which helped a lot but still left me with questions. As people may or may not know I set up website to display some my photos on earlier this year and it is now getting to the stage where I am getting some interest from people wanting to buy and us some of my photos.

The main problem with this is that all the photos on my site have been taken from the wrong side of the fence and having read about the problems that people have had, I want to do things officially, with all the correct bits of paper and that means getting accreditation but I don't have the first clue how to go about getting it.

At present I am not looking for a full time to pass, maybe that's something for the future depending on how things over the next year or so. I am looking to cover things more on meeting by meeting level.

I am thinking of writing to my local papers, as there are several teams and driver based within 15 to 20 miles of where I live. Is this the right thing to do or will I be wasting my time. If I do get some accreditation from a local paper for a certain meeting who has to contact the circuit me, being the photographer or the paper being the client?

These things might sound really silly to some people, but they are some points I need to clear up before making further enquires.
Old 10 Dec 2004, 12:21 (Ref:1176092)   #2
Happy Snapper
Veteran

Grenada
Uplyme, Lyme regis
Happy Snapper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I’m don’t know how other people get their accreditation but this is what I did.

Before I got “official” accreditation, I had media passes from my team connections since 1998 (ish), I spoke to my local newspaper, which is part of the NewsQuest group and asked the sports editor if they wanted editorial on Piers Masarati and his family. They asked for 500 words and a picture, as I’m Dyslexic the writing was a task! I did some background and did and interview with Piers, Dorothy and Jamie Masarati wrote the editorial and sent in 5 pictures and then two weeks later it was published. About 2 years later they asked me to do two full pages on Anthony Davidson at Le Mans and had to one full back page and one inside back page.

The sports editor has been very helpful and now I hold a press pass from the Newspaper society. I am on the books of USA today, The Telegraph, Sunday Express and some magazines in Europe. I’ve had lots of help from 500mm.

My advice if you are interested in getting the other side of the fence to get better pictures, is either get in with a team as PR man or ask your local paper. If you plan to start doing all the bigger events or championships races like British GT or Le Mans etc, you need to develop a healthy relationship with the Media person at either the championship or event, and work for a Press ID card. I feel accreditation will become harder over the next few years, a cull at some of “press” at circuits is on cards in the near future, plus of course insurance is becoming an issue for working press at most circuits.
Old 10 Dec 2004, 14:36 (Ref:1176215)   #3
gi_gav
Veteran

Scotland
gi_gav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgi_gav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It'll be you that contacts the circuit, having already gotten a letter from the relevant editor asking to you to cover that race for the paper.

My first accredited event was ChampCar at Brands last year and since then I've shot mostly for Motorsport News and for my book.

Perhaps what I'll say is controversial, but this forum's so very quiet right now that it seems like a good idea... How you get your accreditation is perhaps less important than whether your results are good enough to warrant it and the purpose of your being there.

At the outset, let me make it clear that I am not intending to insult your, or anyone elses ability, but media accreditation is just that - for the media. The proliferation of private websites has led to people seeing themselves as media solely because they are fans of a particular championship and shots from behind a fence aren't quite good enough for presentation. In a similar way to wedding photography and portraiture, the advent of affordable digital SLRs gives people the impression that they can deservedly earn money from photography, sometimes (instances around lancaster spring to mind) without the ability to match.

I have been lucky enough to get to this point, but I am aiming at a career in photography. In spite of that, I look back on my accreditation for ChampCar (with champweb.net, contacted through this very forum) and wonder whether I truly deserved to be there...

I am not saying for a moment that you do not deserve media accreditation (particularly as that decision has nothing to do with me); your shots, especially since getting the 10D, have been genuinely good. All I am saying is that you ought to view a trackside pass seriously, not solely as a special ticket to view and snap a race for occasional profit, and regardless of whether some people have expressed an interest in your work.

At local meetings, there are rarely too many snappers, but always make sure you know precisely why you are there and what your purpose is.
Old 10 Dec 2004, 15:56 (Ref:1176276)   #4
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There are actually issues that have been discussed here before about whether you are actually supposed to be selling images. The media pass as gi_gav says being that a means of facilitating the gathering of photogrpahs for your accredited media outlet. Certain circuits, Mallory, expressly forbid the sale of images due to their deal with a local photographer. I have a letter from my local paper and provide images and reports to them of local drivers. I have to apply on a race by race basis to the relevant circuit for a media pass. You should also be in possesion of public liabilty insurance to a vale of £5 million. I do make my images available for purchase through my website, not those from Mallory obviously, which I probably shouldnt be doing but as my local paper doesnt actually pay anything for images or reports its a means of funding the activity.
I too would dearly love a career in motorsport photography but feel I may have left it a little too late before starting to stand much of a chance given the financial sacrifice that would be needed, certainlly initially, to go full time.
Old 10 Dec 2004, 16:01 (Ref:1176285)   #5
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Paul, have you tried invoicing your local paper?
Old 10 Dec 2004, 19:18 (Ref:1176445)   #6
KennyG
Racer

KennyG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gi_gav
All I am saying is that you ought to view a trackside pass seriously, not solely as a special ticket to view and snap a race for occasional profit, and regardless of whether some people have expressed an interest in your work.
I totally agree with this statement.

My view (and that of most circuits) is that selling images from a website by itself is not regarded as a valid reason for a trackside pass. Some will even insist on evidence of your previously published work, so you should work towards that from the 'wrong' side of the fence first. For example, there are lots of public locations at Croft and Oulton park that can give you shots that a publisher will use if they have merit, and I know both circuits are within a reasonable distance from you. It is a very good way of having your abilities critiqued.

As an accredited photographer, I spent 45 days trackside this season and clocked up a few thousand miles in the process. I worked in all weather, always arrived early and left late. I fortunately managed to meet all my commitments and deadlines. If you can't give it 100% then it would be a waste of a media pass in my opinion, especially as there are limits on the numbers given out.

To answer one of your questions, you need a letter from the publication to the circuit asking them to accredit you for that event because you are doing the work for them. Be aware, you won't get away with BTCC, F3/GT or other major event accreditation and the circuit may still insist on having sight of your public liability insurance regardless.

If, after all the negatives, you still feel that it is something you want to do and take seriously, I am willing to help you. If we all backed out at the first hurdle then none of us would be here. PM me if you are interested.

Professional Motorsport Photographer
Old 10 Dec 2004, 20:29 (Ref:1176516)   #7
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyG
. Be aware, you won't get away with BTCC, F3/GT or other major event accreditation
That's not strictly speaking true. My Grantham Journal letter has enabled me to attend every major type of meeting in the UK with the exception of the Grand Prix which I wouldnt have even tried to apply for without MSA accreditation.

Don't get the impression I'm planning on giving up in a hurry

Everybody has to start somewhere

As for the Journal Ian they did say from the off that they wouldn't be able to pay but I'm getting articles and images in the local press and have contributed to BBC Lincolnshire online...oooh yes and there's that other website that occassionally uses the odd image

Last edited by PaulSands; 10 Dec 2004 at 20:30.
Old 11 Dec 2004, 00:54 (Ref:1176710)   #8
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
We try to use all of them, not just the odd ones!
Old 11 Dec 2004, 01:56 (Ref:1176731)   #9
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I agree with what KennyG says, basically you've got to have the commitment. I think that entails a passion for the sport, but also you've got to sacrifice something, as in you've got to remember you're there to do a job, so you must concentrate on getting your shots, rather than what's happening in the race (to a degree). And you've got to be prepared to brave all weathers, work long hours, endure bad conditions etc.
Old 11 Dec 2004, 11:53 (Ref:1176934)   #10
David L
Racer

United Kingdom
Lancashire, UK
David L should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gi_gav
It'll be you that contacts the circuit, having already gotten a letter from the relevant editor asking to you to cover that race for the paper.

[snip middle of post for space]

At local meetings, there are rarely too many snappers, but always make sure you know precisely why you are there and what your purpose is.
Certainly a refreshing attitude gi_gav... IMHO, one must be ones own biggest critic before you can even start to improve.. and Happy Snapper is, I believe, right in his impression that applications for credentials will be more stringently vetted in the future..

The FIA run championships will not hard-card web based media as it is..
Old 11 Dec 2004, 16:55 (Ref:1177110)   #11
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Thanks for the advise guys there are just one or two points that I want to clear up. Firstly I am prepeared to but in the leg work, this year I have spent something like 55 days either trackside or in forest's in all weathers so the commitment is there and I plan to do a simaller number of events next year. I have lost count on the ammount of times that I have been to Croft this year.

Even though I have sold a couple of photos, I am prepered to work for free and if I can sell a few along the way then great. I have already drafted a letter to my local papers which I will send of in the new year. Sadly a lot of my local papers are more interested in the oval and round ball games then motor racing. I have a British GT team on my doorstep and I have only seen one article about them in my local paper this year.

I have also had very brief look into public liabilty insurance that should not be a problem at all. I want to give this a shot I really do and if it doesn't work out then I have given it my best shot.

Last edited by rdjones; 11 Dec 2004 at 16:56.
Old 11 Dec 2004, 18:18 (Ref:1177149)   #12
gi_gav
Veteran

Scotland
gi_gav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgi_gav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjones

Even though I have sold a couple of photos, I am prepered to work for free
Fair enough, but be very wary of getting trapped into working for free. If you are good enough to be trackside, then your work ought to be worth something. You have to have faith in your ability to get consistently good results, and if you have that confidence then you shouldn't be afraid to put a price on your efforts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjones
and if I can sell a few along the way then great. I want to give this a shot I really do and if it doesn't work out then I have given it my best shot.
A shot at what? Do you know exactly what you want to cover, and who will you be covering for?

I'm not intending to be overly harsh, but I think it's worth plotting this out seriously before you begin. I don't mean to discourage you, as I sought the same advice as you barely two years ago. However, I'm on the threshold of my first serious season in which the roof over my head is paid for by my efforts. This tends to concentrate the mind a little, and I'm sure some others here would agree!
Old 11 Dec 2004, 20:14 (Ref:1177208)   #13
David L
Racer

United Kingdom
Lancashire, UK
I'd reinforce gi_gav's comments on not working for free.. If you're shots are good enough, then any reputable agency, news media, team, driver etc will pay for them.. If your shots are not good enough, then you have to ask yourself how you're going to earn a living at this..
Old 12 Dec 2004, 01:19 (Ref:1177353)   #14
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Absolutely, you've got to sell yourself as best as you can, and make people want to pay for your work. It may feel uncomfortable asking for money from people at first, but if you want to be number 1, you've got to be selfish sometimes.
Old 12 Dec 2004, 14:37 (Ref:1177604)   #15
David L
Racer

United Kingdom
Lancashire, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHoyer
Absolutely, you've got to sell yourself as best as you can, and make people want to pay for your work. It may feel uncomfortable asking for money from people at first, but if you want to be number 1, you've got to be selfish sometimes.
Selfish?

No, the best, as I see them, are far from selfish.. What they do have is ability in bucket loads.. I'd say that if you want to be No1 then your work must do the talking (and selling) for you..
Old 12 Dec 2004, 15:04 (Ref:1177614)   #16
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
What I mean is, you've got to be prepared to take money from people. You can't just go around giving everybody freebies, if you feel the pictures are good enough, you should ask for payment, even if it feels uncomfortable.

Depends though, if it's just a hobby, fair enough, but as you are after media accreditation I guess you hope to make some money from it.
Old 12 Dec 2004, 16:31 (Ref:1177653)   #17
David L
Racer

United Kingdom
Lancashire, UK
Thats' not being selfish Mike, that's just business..

Media accreditation is a working pass, you should be there working.. Working generaly implies remuneration/payment of some sort.. If you're not working then you should not have the pass..

Of course, there do appear to be various interpretations of "working"..!!
Old 12 Dec 2004, 18:50 (Ref:1177730)   #18
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
cryptically speaking one could say catch fencing has a lot to answer for!
Old 12 Dec 2004, 19:24 (Ref:1177747)   #19
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
I hate to come over all pinko commie on you all but sometimes, just sometimes, money isn't all that it's about (that's not say I dont want money, lot's of it). Certain much read and informative web sites would never had existed if people hadn't been prepared to give their services and supply reports/images/time for free...I'm not talking just about the obvious one you'll probably all be thinking of.
It's a great thing about the life we live very little is clear cut black and white...it isnt always A is good so therefore B is bad and shouldnt be allowed. I had to interject as it seems to be getting a little pious and precious at the moment. And I bet nobody here has EVER given any shots way have they
Old 12 Dec 2004, 20:38 (Ref:1177792)   #20
David L
Racer

United Kingdom
Lancashire, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulSands
I hate to come over all pinko commie on you all but sometimes, just sometimes, money isn't all that it's about (that's not say I dont want money, lot's of it). Certain much read and informative web sites would never had existed if people hadn't been prepared to give their services and supply reports/images/time for free...I'm not talking just about the obvious one you'll probably all be thinking of.
It's a great thing about the life we live very little is clear cut black and white...it isnt always A is good so therefore B is bad and shouldnt be allowed. I had to interject as it seems to be getting a little pious and precious at the moment. And I bet nobody here has EVER given any shots way have they
I don't really know what to say about this one Paul..

Pious and precious..? I certainly didn't mean to sound that way.. I'll admit, on reflection, however, that my posts may not have been as clear as I thought they were at the time..

As for "money isn't all it's about".. I agree.. I never really said that it was..

I did suggest that if the work was good enough then agencies and media would be prepared to pay.. But I also, in a more recent post, added comments to include remuneartion of some sort..

I just don't see why you would give things away for free..? Remuneraton can come in different forms.. I may have let shots go for zero money, but I've never let them go for free..

Perhaps Mike is right to offer shots in return for credentials.. But then he also must weigh up things like travel, hotels etc that he will have to lay out on to fulfil his obligations..

Paul, at the end of the day, it's for each of us to place a value on our work and trade it accordingly.. That's my opinion and I'm sorry if it's being taken in a negative way.. Those who know me will tell you that I am being far from negative..

Hey, look, guys.. I apologise if my comments have been taken in the wrong way..

Mike.. Perhaps we can take this to PM if you want to discuss any further..

Regards
David
Old 12 Dec 2004, 20:43 (Ref:1177798)   #21
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
David
That wasnt a personal attack more a comment on the general way the thread had started feeling.
Maybe just me being my usual highly strung oversensitive self besides which yours is one of the opinions I totally respect
Old 12 Dec 2004, 20:55 (Ref:1177810)   #22
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RD look I think BBC Leeds would like someone to write more for the site www.bbc.co.uk/leeds/sport
I talked them into making a motorsport section about 6 months ago
I have the contact details for the woman who runs that part of the site if you PM me.
Old 12 Dec 2004, 21:00 (Ref:1177813)   #23
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
They would probably happily include it in the general sport section like BBC Lincolnshire do.....however just to add a fly in the ointment the latest raft of changes announced at the BBC look like seriously impacting on the local BBC online sites requiring them to provide something unique and distinctly of the area it's covering or face the axe
Old 12 Dec 2004, 21:04 (Ref:1177816)   #24
David L
Racer

United Kingdom
Lancashire, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdr
cryptically speaking one could say catch fencing has a lot to answer for!
Cripes.. Catch fencing.. remember that stuff!!!

I was reminded of the days of catch fencing only a few weeks ago when watching an old F1 review of the '77 or '79 Grand Prix season..

One memorable sequence was shot at a chicane at Zolder, the sequence shows a press photographer stood by the side of the track at the chicane.... he'd obviously got his shots on one side so he waited for a gap in the traffic and just sprinted across the track to the other side!!! This is during the race, of course..

David
Old 12 Dec 2004, 21:11 (Ref:1177824)   #25
David L
Racer

United Kingdom
Lancashire, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulSands
David
besides which yours is one of the opinions I totally respect
I've just realised that there's more than one David L..

Ooh, depending upon which David L you think this is, I could now use this to create mischief..

David L*****