Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 3 Sep 2002, 18:55 (Ref:372338)   #1
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
South American prototype

What kind of car is this?
http://www.valverderacing.com/images...OTOTIPO_01.jpg
Old 3 Sep 2002, 20:07 (Ref:372419)   #2
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just a guess and based on the huge 'ROVER' slogan. Could it be a try at a turbine car in the US ? It must be a hill climb or demo due to the crowds close by. There seems a lack of carb inlets so big V8 is probably out. The lean points to an untried race car, or a very serious problem and the smoke to either huge rubber burning or a turbine. Of course it could be an oil burner, but with that amount of power in the 60's / 70's no.(going by crowd fashion).

SL
Old 3 Sep 2002, 20:36 (Ref:372457)   #3
Emfa
Veteran

Australia
Colorado Springs
Emfa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rather than US, I would say that this is a home grown CAN-AM type beastie from Costa Rica (notice the "COSTA RICA" on the leading edge of the bodywork, and Valverde Racing appears to be based there).

If only there was someone around here who is fluent in espanol, we could ask them to contact Mr. Valverde and ask him (there are contact details on his website).
Old 3 Sep 2002, 20:38 (Ref:372459)   #4
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by SL
Could it be a try at a turbine car in the US ?
No, as I said it is a South American car (Costa Rica, to be exact). Could it be something VW based? Those narrow front wheels are strange, too.
Old 4 Sep 2002, 10:54 (Ref:372919)   #5
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Possibly a hill climb or sprint ex single seater.
narrow front wheels would point towards ex F3 VW early 80's
Old 4 Sep 2002, 12:35 (Ref:372979)   #6
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Emfa
Rather than US, I would say that this is a home grown CAN-AM type beastie from Costa Rica.
Can-Am didn't go single-seat until the revival ('77), not including Penske's Zerex Special in 1966. This photo is around '71, isn't it? So, no, not Can-Am.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 4 Sep 2002, 12:50 (Ref:372999)   #7
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by SL
Just a guess and based on the huge 'ROVER' slogan. Could it be a try at a turbine car in the US ? It must be a hill climb or demo due to the crowds close by. SL
The Rover slogan puzzled me at first, but I'm guessing it doesn't have much to do with the UK car company- certainly nothing to do with the gas turbine project which was very much a 1960's thing (BL & Rover's competition history is one of my interests & this one doesn't ring any bells at all....)