Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 7 May 2008, 10:25 (Ref:2195862)   #1
deadsquirrel
Veteran

United Kingdom
Deepest Warwickshire
deadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Singapore GP - Who's going?

Well, fingers crossed I'll be there, BUT....

The training requirements are not geared to those of us travelling from UK - and I wonder how others are handling this. Myself, I'm asking for my marshalling experience to cover much of the earlier sessions, but it could obviously be declined. I would not fancy 'taking a flyer' and hoping that we can turn up on the Wednesday before the event with no consequences.

Accomodation is the next worry - any suggestions?
Old 7 May 2008, 10:36 (Ref:2195874)   #2
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To humid for me, I stopped over in Singapore on the way back from Surfers Paradise, spent 3 days in 95% humidity, it was like being fully clothed and walking into a hot shower. I know the race itself is in the evening but I still don't fancy it
Old 7 May 2008, 11:46 (Ref:2195942)   #3
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsquirrel
(I paraphrase) Who's going? Help.
Not many of us I suspect.
Maybe if the information about who & where to apply to was made more widely known about before the cutoff date?
(like mentioning it on here eh?)
Could have had a larger group working the event as a team.

with a bit of googling
http://vrs.theatrered.com/index.asp?
for next year maybe?

Good luck, but as the fat clerk says, the humidity will hurt. Try and get a few days acclimatisation in first.
Old 7 May 2008, 11:59 (Ref:2195957)   #4
deadsquirrel
Veteran

United Kingdom
Deepest Warwickshire
deadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodysnatcher
Not many of us I suspect.
Maybe if the information about who & where to apply to was made more widely known about before the cutoff date?
(like mentioning it on here eh?)
But that's true of most overseas events - and I was surfing the 'official' Singapore GP site out of interest when an image came up offering marshal volunteering information...
Old 7 May 2008, 13:18 (Ref:2196042)   #5
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
Agreed about overseas events, usually the way we find out how to go about doing them is either by word of mouth or on here.
Finding the volunteers' website for the Singapore GP was a stroke of genius or perhaps serendipity. Those "training" day requirements do look daunting from a UK base, but if I was planning to do it, I'd have tried to round up a few more mates in advance - probably by mentioning it on here as well at trackside. That's all.

As for accomodation - my god, but the hotels are expensive, puts even the money grabbing Americans at Indianapolis to shame.

And yes that means I would consider doing it MAYBE in 2009
Old 8 May 2008, 12:00 (Ref:2196795)   #6
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
CAMS Australia

Quote:
Agreed about overseas events, usually the way we find out how to go about doing them is either by word of mouth or on here.
Finding the volunteers' website for the Singapore GP was a stroke of genius or perhaps serendipity. Those "training" day requirements do look daunting from a UK base, but if I was planning to do it, I'd have tried to round up a few more mates in advance - probably by mentioning it on here as well at trackside. That's all.

As for accomodation - my god, but the hotels are expensive, puts even the money grabbing Americans at Indianapolis to shame.

And yes that means I would consider doing it MAYBE in 2009
Don't know what other countries are doing....but CAMS over here has called for volunteers to be ferried over and put up in digs etc...the decision day for hopefuls to be told that they would be chosen was 06 May 08 (CAMS were trying to enlist 40 Flaggies...is it a big track???? )
Old 8 May 2008, 12:11 (Ref:2196811)   #7
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
Aha - so CAMS got the senior official contract for that one too.
(40 flaggies - so that'll be 20 flag points then?)

Hope the charges to the circuit are lower than Bahrain. According to a rumour I heard its 5 and out for that one. Apparently the Bahrain support team liked somebody to support their love of the good life.
Old 8 May 2008, 12:17 (Ref:2196816)   #8
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Snrs

Quote:
(40 flaggies - so that'll be 20 flag points then?)

Hope the charges to the circuit are lower than Bahrain. According to a rumour I heard its 5 and out for that one. Apparently the Bahrain support team liked somebody to support their love of the good life.
Yes Alasdair..apparently so...40 senior Flag Marshals to run the points and train the locals. Not so sure about your arithmetic...I got the impression that this was largely a training exercise
Old 8 May 2008, 12:22 (Ref:2196819)   #9
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think there were after 20 flaggies and 20 sector chiefs? Probably wrong though.

Mick
Old 10 May 2008, 22:01 (Ref:2198488)   #10
MrTT
Rookie

MrTT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I should be going waiting on e-module to do to comfirm
Old 12 May 2008, 02:12 (Ref:2199656)   #11
MrTT
Rookie

Has anyone got there emodules yet??
Old 12 May 2008, 11:33 (Ref:2199979)   #12
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
Welcome to ten tenths MrTT (what a good name for round here!)

Looks like the people planning to do Singapore are few and far between. Lucky you, being able to afford to do it.

What grade do you hold? I only say that because your other thread was about waiting for your MSA registration card. I assume that you are not a "transitioning trainee" (thank you Vicki for that one), cos you might need the MSA approval from A.D-L to work abroad.

It would be a real letdown to travel all that way and find you did'nt have the right paperwork.
Old 12 May 2008, 11:42 (Ref:2199988)   #13
deadsquirrel
Veteran

United Kingdom
Deepest Warwickshire
Quote:
Looks like the people planning to do Singapore are few and far between. Lucky you, being able to afford to do it.

What grade do you hold? I only say that because your other thread was about waiting for your MSA registration card. I assume that you are not a "transitioning trainee" (thank you Vicki for that one), cos you might need the MSA approval from A.D-L to work abroad.

It would be a real letdown to travel all that way and find you did'nt have the right paperwork.
I think the emodules have been delayed slightly - although I might be misunderstanding an email I received .

To follow Bodysnatcher's question about your grade - we have got our 2008 Marshalling Abroad authority letters, but have not been asked for them for Singapore (yet). If you don't have the grade to get a letter, I think you may have problems...

What I would say is that if you are not planning on doing the Aug 30-31 training weekend (in Singapore) or other lead-up days, you should contact the organisers (through the email address they have been sending you information) to request exemption, based on your UK marshal experience and the fact it's a long way to go for a training weekend.
Old 12 May 2008, 18:54 (Ref:2200379)   #14
MrTT
Rookie

I hold course grade. Im with the Brdc so ive sent the Msa registration letter off so hopefully i will get that back soon.
But i dont think you will need it for the singapore gp as you have to go to a few training days as they have no marshals or not many
Old 14 May 2008, 14:46 (Ref:2202217)   #15
MrTT
Rookie

training dates have changed for singapore gp the 2 that were going to be on the 30 and 31st of august are now on the 1st and 2nd of august and emodule is due after 19th of may
Old 14 May 2008, 23:04 (Ref:2202606)   #16
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Ahh yes another CAMS Junket.

A lot of senior Aussie GP marshals got all excited at the prospect of another Junket when it was announced they were looking for help with the Singapore GP during this years GP down here.

I didn't bother to even get an application form for the following reasons;

1. As you might've noticed I'm not scared to put noses out of joint on here or publicly and I would be so far down the list you'd need a miners helmet to see it
2. Don't have a passport.

There's already been a few Aussies go over there to run training sessions for the locals.

Let's face it F1 rules mean anyone can work at F1 events.
Old 20 May 2008, 11:41 (Ref:2207244)   #17
Waimate1
Rookie

Australia
North of the Black Stump
Waimate1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Paul got my rejection letter today, understand Sue Jochiem is a go, no idea who else
Old 1 Jul 2008, 07:25 (Ref:2241156)   #18
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
CAMS Announces Officials Team for the 2008 Formula 1 TM SingTel Singapore Grand Prix

CAMS has actually posted a Press Release containing the names of all those who have been chosen to go over to Singapore for the F1GP.

Seeing this is a publicly available Press Release on the CAMS web site I might as well publish it on here as well.

http://www.cams.com.au/content.asp?P...&ObjectID=1183

CAMS Announces Officials Team for the 2008 Formula 1 TM SingTel Singapore Grand Prix
CAMS Media Release
27 Jun 2008

The selection process for the 2008 CAMS International Officials Team is now complete.

The team consists of 49 CAMS Accredited Officials, who will attend the 2008 Formula 1 TM SingTel Singapore Grand Prix event as Senior Officials. These CAMS Accredited Officials will not only officiate in their designated roles, but will also be involved in the coordination of a shakedown exercise in the days leading up to the event and assist with the training and mentoring of their Singaporean deputies and teams.

Of the 49 person team, 35 post chiefs have been selected through an Expression of Interest process. Approximately 200 extremely impressive applications were received.

“It is a testament to the professionalism and calibre of CAMS Accredited Officials that we received such outstanding interest for only a few places” CAMS Chief Executive Officer Graham Fountain stated.

The Selection Committee had the mammoth task of reviewing the applicants and selecting a team based on merit, including an assessment of technical and personal skills, experience and attributes applicable to this activity. In addition, CAMS sees this as an opportunity for development and succession planning and, as such a number of highly capable younger officials have been selected.

CAMS would like to congratulate all successful 2008 appointees, and encourage all unsuccessful applicants to reapply for future opportunities as they arise.

CAMS is pleased to announce the 2008 CAMS International Officials Team:

Clerk of the Course: Tim Schenken
Assistant Clerk of the Course: Lawrie Schmitt
Secretary of the Meeting: Michael Smith
Race Organisation: Peter Nelson
Assistant Secretary (Support Paddock) Michael Masi
Chief Communications: Anne Davis
Observer/ Communications Loop: David Mori
Chief Fire Marshal: Allan Young
Emergency Controller/ Chief Recovery/ CCTV: Stephen Preece
Steward (Support): Steve Chopping
Chief Scrutineer: Ewan Cole
Chief Grid Marshal/ Chief Pit Lane Marshal: Tony Van den Dungen
Course Car Driver: Bill Crouch

CAMS Post Chiefs:
George Chrobak
Tony Thorne
Kevin Redman
Terry O’Callaghan
Jose Van den Dungen
Rob Thiry
Catherine Croci
Phillip Livingstone
Bertram Dana
Lance Jenner
Roger Chirnside
Alan O’Dea
John Miller
Lawrence Barber
Ashley Penhall
Adam Litchfield
Andrew Brand
Paul Taylor
Sid Herold
Sue Jochheim
Ross Girvan
Wayne Giles
Ian Taylor
Gary Mclean
Steven Croci
Stuart King
John Watson
Barry Hughes
Aden Zealley
Amanda Williams
John McGarry
Kevin Hind
Matt Balcombe
Mario Pacifici
Chris Monck

The powder room is buzzing with comments of some interesting choices with some people allocated jobs that they would normally not fill at any race meeting let alone the local F1GP.

Interesting to see the comment about the number of applicants and to be honest many of those who I know put their hand up were wasting their time and I told them as much.

Have a good trip guys and I hope the heat isn't as bad as it was at Albert Park considering the Singaporians were not very comfortable in our heat earlier this year will hopefully mean it wont be too bad up there.
Old 16 Sep 2008, 20:37 (Ref:2292075)   #19
JonT
Rookie

United Kingdom
Copthorne West Sussex
JonT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hope there is no objection to resurrecting this thread but would be interested to know if any applications from the UK were accepted.

I submitted an on-line application in January but after some correspondence was eventually not invited. Attempts to determine the reason were unsuccessful but I suspect that there were a large number of overseas applicants.

JonT
Old 16 Sep 2008, 21:08 (Ref:2292092)   #20
deadsquirrel
Veteran

United Kingdom
Deepest Warwickshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonT
Hope there is no objection to resurrecting this thread but would be interested to know if any applications from the UK were accepted.

I submitted an on-line application in January but after some correspondence was eventually not invited. Attempts to determine the reason were unsuccessful but I suspect that there were a large number of overseas applicants.

JonT
Looking at the post lists, I can't see a lot of non-Singapore type names, but I've not seen a full list.

I'm surprised you were not invited, (assuming you're an experienced marshal) as the local marshals have been trained 'from scratch' largely over a number of weekends.

We made our experience clear, and we fly out on Tuesday (a week today, yahoo!) to work the race. It looks like it's going to be hot (annual average temp is 30C) and humid, but the chance to work the first night F1 race is one to put up with a lot for.

(And then we fly on to Aus for the Bathurst 1000, a big tick on the list of must do marshalling)
Sorry you didn't make the list - persevere and maybe next year?
Old 16 Sep 2008, 22:58 (Ref:2292163)   #21
JABWOA
Veteran

Australia
3rd star to the left
JABWOA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm heading over (observer at FP18)
Old 17 Sep 2008, 19:46 (Ref:2292757)   #22
JonT
Rookie

United Kingdom
Copthorne West Sussex
JonT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsquirrel
I'm surprised you were not invited, (assuming you're an experienced marshal) as the local marshals have been trained 'from scratch' largely over a number of weekends.

We made our experience clear, and we fly out on Tuesday (a week today, yahoo!) to work the race. It looks like it's going to be hot (annual average temp is 30C) and humid, but the chance to work the first night F1 race is one to put up with a lot for
I do not think experience was an issue as I have worked at many GPs in the UK, europe and further afield, and also international events on street circuits in europe and SE asia.

It will be hot and humid (the atmosphere hits you like a blanket when you venture outside) but have a good time and will be interested to hear of your experiences on your return.

JonT
Old 18 Sep 2008, 08:46 (Ref:2293072)   #23
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The only time I've been to Singapore was a stopover on the way to NZ. We found the "smoking area" in the cactus garden at the airport - and literally sweated our way through a couple of fags. I have NEVER experienced humidity like that, so if you are going from UK then be VERY prepared.

That was January, so summer (if I get the turnaround of seasons right). Might be better at this time of year but, somehow, I don't think so.
Old 18 Sep 2008, 10:38 (Ref:2293124)   #24
deadsquirrel
Veteran

United Kingdom
Deepest Warwickshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelagh
The only time I've been to Singapore was a stopover on the way to NZ. We found the "smoking area" in the cactus garden at the airport - and literally sweated our way through a couple of fags. I have NEVER experienced humidity like that, so if you are going from UK then be VERY prepared.

That was January, so summer (if I get the turnaround of seasons right). Might be better at this time of year but, somehow, I don't think so.
Luckily I don't have to find the cactus gardens of the world!

The plan is to keep drinking such that comfort breaks are still needed during the day! And, surprisingly (not) the organisers sort out ready supplies of cold drinks/ice at each post - plus a clean set of (provided) overalls for each day
Old 18 Sep 2008, 10:42 (Ref:2293130)   #25
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
It's currently Spring time down under but Singapore being closer to the Equator probably means it's different to here in sunny Melbourne.