Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 8 Feb 2002, 09:31 (Ref:212180)   #1
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Vodafone pay Marlboro for ferrari

A few words on sponsorship matters.

According to Formula One mag - the new Vodafone sponsorship of Ferrari was brokered by Philip Morris (Marlboro).

Marlboro pay around $85 million as team title sponsor, but also reserve the right to 'sell-on' space on the car they don't use. Vodafone have subsequently been brought to the team by Marlboro but their cash goes to Philip Morris, who are grooming Vodafone as Ferrari's title sponsor from 2006 onwards (when the fag ban comes in). However Marlboro will continue to be a team partner after 2006 , mostly focused on the Far East races where tobacco advertising is not a problem.

Also IMO,I think other F1 teams are becoming twitchy over cash.

Jordan is facing a smaller investment from B&H which is undoubtedly the start of their wind down of F1 sponsorship. BAR have tried since their second year to raise sposnorship and failed. Lauda's hopes of making Jag self sufficent in funding looks like never happening either. As for Prost - he couldn't find a sponsor for love nor money. Its also likely that the Orange money is looking dicey for any longer than this year.

Over the next couple of years we are going to see some serious chickens coming home to roost. The techs and telecoms that were going to be the saviour of F1 sponsorship (post fag) just don't have the profitablity to spend this kind of cash. Team bosses are now realising the hard task of even raising £5 million or £10 million in sponsorship - and they doesn't go anywhere.

Even teams like BAR & Jordan that receive free engines will find it increasingly difficult to survive without the fag money as major 'outside' sponsorship is virtually non-existent.
Old 8 Feb 2002, 16:10 (Ref:212374)   #2
SJ Spode
Veteran

SJ Spode should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting stuff. If you take out tabacco, techs and telecoms who'se left with that sort of money? Drinks companies perhaps (moral issue??), or maybe pharmaceuticals (who'se going to want to run sponsored by Pfizer's most famous product)
Old 8 Feb 2002, 18:23 (Ref:212434)   #3
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nicholas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Durex was a sponsor a few years ago.
Classic Eddie Irvine moments, #1
Interviewer: "Why has Schumacher got an odd shaped helmet?" Eddie: "Because he's German, he's got an odd shaped head"
Old 8 Feb 2002, 18:30 (Ref:212438)   #4
av8rirl
Veteran

Ireland
Ireland
av8rirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by SJ Spode
Interesting stuff. If you take out tabacco, techs and telecoms who'se left with that sort of money? Drinks companies perhaps (moral issue??), or maybe pharmaceuticals (who'se going to want to run sponsored by Pfizer's most famous product)
Well if they had a few million quid to give, I think any team would take it. Maybe even try the produce...

Give it a few years an you'll find that Minardi and Yoong are the biggest sponsored team on the grid. Minardi for WTC and WDC in 2007!!! NOT.
Old 8 Feb 2002, 18:30 (Ref:212439)   #5
Carla O
Veteran

Portugal
London, UK
Carla O should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
you could get soft drinks.
i'm sure Coke would have the money and i remember the 7-Up Jordan a few years ago.

McDonalds would probably have money as well
x
C

Last edited by Carla O; 8 Feb 2002 at 18:32.
Old 8 Feb 2002, 18:56 (Ref:212474)   #6
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Vodafone just makes the Ferrari look even more ugly.
Old 8 Feb 2002, 20:58 (Ref:212615)   #7
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There are still a number of money sources available. Major financial institutions, banks and trusts, pharmaceutical companies, consumer products companies like Proctor & Gamble, amd perhaps others involved multi-nationally. The problem is getting them to see the benefit of investing what are turning out to be huge sums of money. Although you would be amazed to find out how much Proctor & Gamble spends advertising it's myriad of products!

The future is going to get interesting, especially as the manufacturers move towards creating their own series in 2008, I think it is? No more private teams? Manufacturers and sponsors cross-branding and merchandising?

I'm thirsty, and I like Williams, so I'm gonna go have a 7-up.!
Old 8 Feb 2002, 22:59 (Ref:212759)   #8
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
About sponsorship, I think these companies could be a major team sponsors:
Coca-Cola
Heineken
Bayer
Nike
ING Insurance
Citibank
Old 8 Feb 2002, 23:14 (Ref:212768)   #9
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by Mekola
About sponsorship, I think these companies could be a major team sponsors:
Heineken
ING Insurance
I don't think dutch companies will enter F1 at this time ...
Old 8 Feb 2002, 23:21 (Ref:212771)   #10
I Ate Yoko Ono
Racer

I Ate Yoko Ono should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Manchester Utd of motor racing - any old jack who knows nothing of the sport supports Ferari and M Sch. Sheep.

"Blaaaaa, Blaaaa, Blaaa."

Mugs. Sheep. Run with the pack.

Everyone of you is a muppet and a sheep.

Muppets.

"baaaaaa".
Old 8 Feb 2002, 23:22 (Ref:212776)   #11
I Ate Yoko Ono
Racer

Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!
Old 8 Feb 2002, 23:23 (Ref:212778)   #12
I Ate Yoko Ono
Racer

Mehhhhhhhhhhh Mehhhhhhhhhhhh Baaaaaaaaaaaa Baaaaaaaaaaa
Old 8 Feb 2002, 23:24 (Ref:212779)   #13
I Ate Yoko Ono
Racer

I'm glad Oscar Schindler didn't have the attitude of the average Ferrari fan - there would not be any Jews left. Long live BAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 9 Feb 2002, 02:01 (Ref:212818)   #14
slicktoast
Veteran

slicktoast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What's a Ferari?
Old 11 Feb 2002, 07:21 (Ref:213931)   #15
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The key point to remember is that the fag companies were virtually forced into F1 simply because legislation has either restricted or banned their advertising in other mediums - therefore this made F1 viable.

Other brands like Coca -Cola or MacDonalds,etc are free to advertise where they choose - this makes F1 sponsorship a difficult choice because by sponsoring a team they would be weakening their advertising budget elsewhere, TV, Radio, etc.
Old 11 Feb 2002, 07:32 (Ref:213935)   #16
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote IAYO: "The Manchester Utd of motor racing - any old jack who knows nothing of the sport supports Ferari and M Sch. Sheep."

Perhaps...but not all people who supports Ferrari and/or Michael knows nothing of the sport.

And long live BAR?!!! What do those guys know about F1? They came and since the first season...made a fool out of themselves...and after a few years...are still trying to find their footing...It seems like they not only did not improve...but are sliding downwards...
Old 11 Feb 2002, 15:26 (Ref:214089)   #17
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Gt_R
And long live BAR?!!! What do those guys know about F1? They came and since the first season...made a fool out of themselves...and after a few years...are still trying to find their footing...It seems like they not only did not improve...but are sliding downwards...

i'm not a BAR fan, but is this not what FERRARI did for 21 years or whatever before winning the wdc in '00 and they had far more experience than BAR!
Old 11 Feb 2002, 15:40 (Ref:214096)   #18
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
i mean...IAYO was mocking at other's lack of know-how of Formula One...yet cheering on BAR which is one of the back markers of the sports..

It's something like laughing at other motorists who drives a Lada when what you own and drive is...a Lada.

Last edited by Gt_R; 11 Feb 2002 at 15:43.
Old 20 Feb 2002, 13:31 (Ref:219444)   #19
SJ Spode
Veteran

SJ Spode should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Getting back on topic

An alternative to tobacco sponsorship might be the route taken by rally champion Richard Burns, who is being sponsored by Nicorette. so after years of ciggie sponsorship in F1 it seems natural to replace it with nicotine replacement products
Old 20 Feb 2002, 13:36 (Ref:219449)   #20
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by SJ Spode
Getting back on topic

An alternative to tobacco sponsorship might be the route taken by rally champion Richard Burns, who is being sponsored by Nicorette. so after years of ciggie sponsorship in F1 it seems natural to replace it with nicotine replacement products

sounds like a good idea!! maybe ALCOHOLICS ANNONYMOUS would like to get involved with jaguar and replace becks!!