Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 18 Oct 2002, 15:26 (Ref:407263)   #1
rush1
Veteran

rush1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bernie to the rescue

"the media has an amazing imagination," pook said. "There is not now nor is there going to be an official collaboration of Formula One and CART" Indianapolis Star 10/18/2002

Does Bill Gates like auto racing?
Old 18 Oct 2002, 16:06 (Ref:407287)   #2
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Pook: "Whenever anybody talks to Bernie, it's about business."

Ecclestone: "I've had some chats with Chris on what could be and couldn't be, but we've got no further than that."
Old 18 Oct 2002, 17:57 (Ref:407355)   #3
jcclausen
Rookie

jcclausen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Does Bill Gates like auto racing?
Only if he can steal it and then keep everyone else in the world out of racing.
Old 18 Oct 2002, 18:53 (Ref:407405)   #4
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The imagination does not lie in the media but rather with the reader. I don't see anything in the Autosport artcle that says that Bernie is buying CART nor that there has been any alliance formed. What I did read was that he may buy a share in CART. Right now that would cost $4-$5 US. Although, I suspect that if Bernie buys in it would be a little more than that. I saw my way clear to "buy a share of CART" too, at just over $4 just before the Forsythe purchase at $5 figuring it has to have some intrinsic value, besides I believe in CART's future. Maybe we should start a thread "Flatspot Buys CART, Its Future is So Bright TG Sells IMS To Buy Enough Sunglasses".

There is no question Pook & Ecclestone have been talking recently and somehow I don't think the were discussing the purchase, sale, and marketing of Girl Scout Cookies. Big deals take time and I wouldn't count on nor dicount F1 in CART's future.
Old 18 Oct 2002, 22:57 (Ref:407619)   #5
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
You'd be silly to think nothing is going on there. All Pook says is that there will not be an official collaboration between F1 and CART.

Maybe the deal fell through ....
Old 19 Oct 2002, 00:50 (Ref:407706)   #6
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Rush,

You believe something the Indy Star wrote? I assume you are also a reader of Jack Arute then?

Gullible now has a new definition - rush1!
Old 19 Oct 2002, 11:53 (Ref:407886)   #7
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Or maybe the deal is something else. He just said what it isn't, not what it is.
Old 19 Oct 2002, 14:09 (Ref:407950)   #8
Total-F1
Veteran

Total-F1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And you've already discounted the fact that he's simply lying his arse off like everyone else in top-level motorsport?
Old 19 Oct 2002, 20:08 (Ref:408157)   #9
rush1
Veteran

rush1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
f1manoz, the Star is qouting Mr.pook. I doubt they just made up the quote. Not to sure that makes me naive
Old 20 Oct 2002, 07:20 (Ref:408353)   #10
greg.n
Racer

greg.n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"an official collaboration of F1 and CART." But if the biggest shaker and mover in F1 buys a few million shares of CART that has nothing to do with F1 because he doesn't own F1, he only owns the TV rights for the next 100 years! The FIA owns F1, and they will not be collaborating with CART! Listen to what Pook actually said.
Old 20 Oct 2002, 08:42 (Ref:408388)   #11
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
The Snout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's a done deal, Bernie is buying big time into Cart while it's a bargain. Don't expect to see F1 at Indy beyond 2004, do expect to see Cart in a double header with F1.
Old 20 Oct 2002, 08:48 (Ref:408393)   #12
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm not sure about a CART-F1 double-header. Bernie has never been keen on that (probably doesn't want fans to realise how boring F1 is compared to CART!)

However, Bernie HAS become increasingly interested in the CART series in the past months, with his many meetings with Pook a reflection of his growing interest.

Best thing to do would be to buy back all the CART shares and make it a private company again.
Old 20 Oct 2002, 09:00 (Ref:408395)   #13
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
The Snout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Best thing to do would be to buy back all the CART shares and make it a private company again.

Spot on. Get away from pleasing people for profit and concertrate on the sport and racing.

Perhaps Bernie is just going after the TV rights thing which might lead to Cart getting some top coverage.
Old 20 Oct 2002, 18:28 (Ref:408731)   #14
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Maybe CART is buying F1.
Old 21 Oct 2002, 12:10 (Ref:409188)   #15
SteveA
Rookie

SteveA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe TG's buying 'em both.
Old 21 Oct 2002, 16:49 (Ref:409403)   #16
jcclausen
Rookie

jcclausen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Maybe TG's buying 'em both.
At least then he'd own two series that have spectators.
Old 22 Oct 2002, 11:04 (Ref:410087)   #17
TedN
Racer

Canada
Georgetown, ON, Canada
TedN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTedN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here is link to article in today's Toronto Sun. This is getting very interesting....

Click Here

Ted
Old 22 Oct 2002, 11:21 (Ref:410103)   #18
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Bernie is just trying to prevent other series from taking over from F1 as the premier open wheel series in the world, as CART had definatly threatened to do pre-1996.

If he becomes majority owner in CART he has a stake in all 3 major Open Wheel championships in the world, F1, CART and the IRL. By owning CART and making it a feeder deries for F1, CART is no longer considered an alternative to F1 for drivers, nor the top. By running a GP at Indy, he has a stake in the IRL as well. After all the trouble TG went to to get IMS up to standard for GP, he will probably do anything to keep the race there, maybe giving Bernie some influence in the series? Who says Bernie hasn't had anything to do with the IRL so far.

All Bernie is doing is securing the future of F1. If CART becomes the feeder series, taking over from F3000, would a situation like Villeneuve coming to CART for a year eventuate? It would be like Villeneuve doing a year in F3000. And a situation we had with Mansell in 1993 would never happen. Back then CART was an F1 alternative, not a 'feeder class'. Plus there is TV etc...what things would Bernie require of the TV companies, and look at other series he has basically run, he effectively killed the World Touring Car Championship, World Sportscar Championship, remember the ITC, lucky that he sold the WRC to David Richards.

I thought Chris Pook was meant to be the saviour, not BE. Lets keep CART a Bernie free zone, please

Last edited by racer69; 22 Oct 2002 at 11:22.
Old 22 Oct 2002, 11:44 (Ref:410121)   #19
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Local lame breakfast chat show just announced that Bernie is buying a majority share of Champ Cars. If THEY have the story there must be at least some truth to it.
Old 22 Oct 2002, 11:48 (Ref:410126)   #20
Liz
Veteran

P.S. I notice they mention that TG has "a long term contract" for the USGP; I thought that was over this year (a 3 year deal wasn't it?)
Old 22 Oct 2002, 13:26 (Ref:410187)   #21
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
3.5L V10s?

I notice it's a wire piece. Even TSN has picked it up. This is more solid than an ITV-F1 story...

But it's apparently from the same source that leaked the FedEx deal's end.

Last edited by paul-collins; 22 Oct 2002 at 13:29.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 22 Oct 2002, 14:17 (Ref:410205)   #22
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Steady on now!

To my knowledge, would not the CART board need to waive the 15% maximum rule as they did with Forsythe? So Bernie cannot at this time buy a majority share. That of course does not mean he could buy as much as he could, and then vote in a block with similarly-disposed shareholders.

This is getting really interesting! Would love to be a fly on the wall in Pook's office!

Perhaps this would resolve the rumored "concern" over Ford's ability to provide Cosworth's...
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 22 Oct 2002, 15:22 (Ref:410239)   #23
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is no doubt that there is some truth to this story now. It may not happen, but Bernie wants it to...

I have two minds to this... 1. A match with F1 would do wonders for Cart in terms of both finance and exposure...it could help the series become even more global.

2. Look at F1!

Last edited by Jay; 22 Oct 2002 at 15:22.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 22 Oct 2002, 16:21 (Ref:410284)   #24
Tiresmoke
Racer

Tiresmoke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jay, you're right on. Could be totally beneficial to CART in almost every way, beneficial to F1 in feeder, future security, continuing manufacturer support and keeping them happy.

Justin Wilson:
"There's a lot of talk going on at the moment about CART and people saying it's on its way out, but I still feel there's a lot of enthusiasm and I reckon that it's at the bottom of its lull," he said. "There's been a lot of negative talk, but I believe next year it will be strong, especially as everybody will be using the same engines. There are a lot of teams talking about going to CART, but these words just need to be put into action."

Craig Pollock:
"The link between F-1 and CART makes sense," Pollock said. "It appears to me that the vision of the top people at CART is very strong. It could help both sides if this actually did happen."
Old 22 Oct 2002, 16:41 (Ref:410301)   #25
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
If Bernie bought into CART it would stop the IRL whingers from preaching about the Death of CART. Bernie is nobodys fool and if he were part of CART you can be sure he would make something of it - good or bad