Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 29 Aug 2002, 03:03 (Ref:367934)   #1
Lars
Veteran

United States
Junior Nation
Lars should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
New Hampshire

It’s unfortunate IMO that most everyone basis their opinion of New Hampshire International Speedway off of a couple of events that have happened there. Every message board I go to I’m always reading a post that the racing is boring there, Nascar should take it off the schedule, or that the track just sucks in general.

Yes, Adam Petty & Kenny Irwin Jr. lost their lives at NHIS. Dale Earnhardt lost his live at Daytona, but no one is screaming to remove the Daytona 500 from the schedule. I realize that wouldn’t happen anyhow, with the history & prestige of that race & the fact that the powers that run Nascar also own Daytona Int’l.

In Nascar’s haste after Kenny’s death, they decided to use restrictor plates at NHIS for one race. And yes, that was one of the most pathetic excuses for a race I ever saw. But, my suggestion to anyone that thinks the racing is boring at NHIS, should at least try to go to one race there before forming an opinion.

I’ve been fortunate in the past ten years to go to a number of different tracks to watch a Winston Cup, Busch & Craftsman Truck race and I think NHIS is one of the best, if not the best track that I’ve been too. For comparison, the tracks I’ve seen WC races at are Watkins Glen, the Brickyard, Michigan, Chicagoland, Atlanta, Lowe’s, Daytona & NHIS. I’ll be adding Talladega to my resume this coming October. I’ve also been to Milwaukee & Gateway Int’l for Busch races along with seeing Busch races at Daytona, Michigan & Chicagoland.

My wife’s sister lives in Massachusetts along the New Hampshire border and my wife wanted to go visit her last summer. Never missing an opportunity, I said let’s go when the Nascar boys are running at NHIS. So my youngest and I got tickets to the July race.

I think I called for my tickets in March or April and they really didn’t have much left, but we wanted to go no matter what & we ended up with tickets in row 8 between turns 3 & 4. I wasn’t expecting much, both of the track and our seats. Boy, I was in for a surprise. The track itself was beautiful as well as the seating. Myself being 6’ 1” in height, had plenty of leg room when we got to our seats. I was just at the brand new Chicagoland Speedway the week before & was scrunched in my seat like a sardine. I was also amazed at the sight lines I had of the track, I could see the entire track from my seat, expect a small portion of turn 1. I couldn’t see much of pit stops, but that is the same at any track unless you’re on the front stretch.

As far as the racing goes, I’ll say this: Yes, one of my favorite drivers one the race (Dale Jarrett), but we saw 10 lead changes between 8 different drivers that day & plenty of good racing through out the entire field. We even got to see DJ do the bump & run on his own teammate for the victory. I’m guessing that there have been races at most other tracks with that few of lead changes, most likely even Bristol. I know there has been races at Michigan & Daytona with fewer lead changes.

The traffic was tough getting in and out of the track because there is really one highway leading into the track. This isn’t the only track on the circuit with major traffic problems or one highway leading into the track. But NHIS has the full cooperation of the NH State Patrol. All the other tracks usually just have the local boys helping out around a two to five mile perimeter around the facility. On our way home they had one lane of north bound I-93 closed off to help the allow south bound traffic to drive on it for at least 20 miles south of the track to help the fans get home quicker. I can only assume they do this in the opposite direction heading towards Canada?

Right around Christmas time last year, I got a post card from NHIS. At first I figured it was just something asking me to buy tickets again. Turns out it was a Christmas card thanking me for attending a race at NHIS, wishing me a Merry X-mas & Happy New Year & to top it off, it was hand signed by Bob Bahre. How many of you can say that you have received a hand signed X-mas card from Bruton Smith or Humphy Wheeler & Bill France Jr. or Roger Penske for attending a race at one of their tracks?

Mr. Bahre is always spending money to try and make his track better for both the fans & drivers. He put a lot of time and effort into laying down the new asphalt in hopes that the racing would be better and all he got for his efforts was ****ing & moaning from the drivers and now the fans.

My guess is the reason he lashed out at Bobby LaBonte is because Bobby isn’t usually one of the normal whiners like a Dale Jarrett, Rusty Wallace, Jimmy Spencer, Jeff Gordon, Mikey & Darrell Waltrip & the late Dale Earnhardt. Notice I put one of my favorite drivers at the top of the list so no one can accuse me of picking on their favorite driver. It seems to me that most of us think our favorite drivers can do no wrong, which is not the case.

But in Bobby’s defense, the only time I ever recall Bobby being ticked off is at Bristol quite a few years ago. He took his helmet and threw a fast ball at his car after somebody (can’t remember who) put him into the wall. I loved it, because his helmet was painted up like the Dallas Cowboy’s helmet & I’m a Green Bay Packer fan. I wanted him to launch it again…LOL. But Bristol brings out the emotions, just ask Ward.

Does it matter that NHIS didn’t have enough time to allow the asphalt to cure properly? Yes, but my point is that I never hear or read any positive comments about this facility, except from the few fans, on all the message boards I post at, that I know are regular visitors to NHIS.
Old 29 Aug 2002, 05:42 (Ref:367970)   #2
Ax Slinger
Veteran

United States
The Lost Coast
Ax Slinger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice post there, Lars. I couldn't agree more. With as many problems as some of the tracks have (and specifically the ISC tracks at that) that have gone without being taken care of, to whine about a privately owned track that owner at least tries to take care of, seems like it's very political to me.
Old 30 Aug 2002, 11:16 (Ref:368985)   #3
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
muggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmuggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes it is political. Remember that Nascar is not exactly a democracy. I am not saying that is bad as no matter what one may think of Bill France and Bill, jr they brought Nascar to the pinnacle in sports. I was upset when they eliminated North Wilkesboro, one of the pioneer tracks which was loved by drivers, from the schedule. However, for good or bad, progress has brought Nascar to the top in motorsports.
Old 31 Aug 2002, 20:06 (Ref:370082)   #4
Lars
Veteran

United States
Junior Nation
I don't hold any bad feelings towards the France family. But Texas wouldn't have a race if Bruton & Bob Bahre had not bought North Wilkesboro. Bruton was fighting the SAME fight for a race at TMS before he & Bob bought out N. Wilkes. as he is fighting now for a second date there. I've never been to N. Wilkes, but from pictures I remember seeing of the track, it wouldn't be up to ISC's standards for a race track today IMO.
Old 31 Aug 2002, 20:24 (Ref:370087)   #5
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
muggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmuggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
N. Wilkesboro is definitely not up to the standards of today's huge tracks. However, it was one of the great "driver's tracks" and I just kinda hate to see the interesting old tracks with character dissapear. Some of today's tracks are simply boring. N. Wilkesboro was home territory for Junior Johnson. I know, I know, can't stop progress.........unfortunately sometimes!
Old 31 Aug 2002, 20:39 (Ref:370094)   #6
Lars
Veteran

United States
Junior Nation
Mugs...it's all about money now...Bristol wasn't much of a track 15 years ago either & when Bruton bought it, he stuck a lot of money into improvments for it. He could have done the same for N. Wilkes. too, but he just built a brand new track in Texas without a WC date & had to do something.

If he could have bought a different track, Darlington, Rockingham, Martinsville, he probably would have done the same thing. But N. Wilkes. was just an unfortunate victim of this.

Now it's just a game between Bruton and ISC to see who can get the upper hand, with ISC holding all the cards since they have the power to pull all the races at Bruton's tracks if they so desire.

I will always pull for Bruton, having seen how he treats the fans vs. ISC's treatmant of the fans. He remembers that is it's us that pay the bills, something the major sports in this country have forgotten and to me, ISC is following that same path.

Last edited by Lars; 31 Aug 2002 at 20:41.
Old 31 Aug 2002, 20:45 (Ref:370096)   #7
Lars
Veteran

United States
Junior Nation
P.S. Even though I'm a season ticket holder at Michigan & Chicagoland, I would boycott the Winston if the held it there. To me it was another way for ISC to 'stick it' to Bruton. Has there been any talk of moving the Bud Shootout? No. This race could easily be raced somewhere else every year just as the Winston can.
Old 31 Aug 2002, 21:59 (Ref:370136)   #8
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
I just hope that WC does not go the way of "Baseball". I used to be a die hard baseball fan...many, many many ...years ago when the players ENJOYED playing and there were stadiums like Forbes Field with the Iron Gate. Nowadays I could care less about baseball. Why watch a sport with only a few teams with realistic chances of going all the way. In any case, at my age I'm permitted to reminisce

I am a Richard Petty fan but believe that David Pearson just may have been the better driver. Pearson could think ahead on the track like no other driver then or since and was one of the coolest headed drivers ever. Bobby Allison, if he had made some better career decisions, could have been as good all around type driver as Mario or A.J. Foyt. I met B. Allison 2 years ago and his advice to me about obtaining sponsorship was simple....Dont give up, keep trying until you are successful.
Old 31 Aug 2002, 23:38 (Ref:370185)   #9
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
Lars....my thanks for you doing your job on the Trickle thread. It makes me feel "just-a-little-foolish" for someone taking advantage of, not just this great site, but those of us that were sincere in welcoming them to this site.
Old 1 Sep 2002, 03:01 (Ref:370232)   #10
Lars
Veteran

United States
Junior Nation
Thkx...Mugs & don't worry about it, I thought it was legit at 1st also & had no problem with them including a link to another board. But honestly, it is against 10's rules.

Out of habit, I check the profile & the IP addy of new posters & saw that this one was from a marketing firm.
Old 1 Sep 2002, 11:28 (Ref:370374)   #11
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Lars
P.S. Even though I'm a season ticket holder at Michigan & Chicagoland,
Is Chicagoland the same as Chicago Motorspeedway, where CART races?

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 1 Sep 2002, 13:59 (Ref:370427)   #12
Lars
Veteran

United States
Junior Nation
Chicagoland is the track that ISC & Tony George built in Joliet. CMS is in Cicero & it was/still is a horse racing track also.
Old 11 Sep 2002, 13:28 (Ref:377983)   #13
Moncada69
Racer

Moncada69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like all the tracks I think they should race at all of them just to mix it up, as far as this turning into a money thing, ya it has long since done that, the thing that agravates me the most is when things turn into money like this all the contraversy starts to come up and play a huge part in what happens. That is what starts making it less interesting, I sure wish they could push away from that,but i would be kidding myself.
Old 11 Sep 2002, 20:47 (Ref:378267)   #14
Irene
Rookie

Irene should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
New Hampshire....

I will admit that I am 1 of the ones that dont like NH because 2 drivers were killed there. I mean come on it was the same place for both of them. Its a dangerous track. But I didnt like NH from the beginning even before Adam or Kenny passed away.
N. Wilkesboro was my favorite track. It was the closet to home and the first race I have ever been to. Not to metion Brett's win was there. So I never agreed that it should have been closed cause on the money side it was holding its own. But what good does it to argue the point because they are going to do what they want either way! .
But to go and say that NH is boring...NO WAY! I cringe everytime I watch that race. Sometimes I keep myself from watching and listen to it on the radio. I am a very emtional person when it comes to racing I mean in the floor screaming, cusing and cheering them on. I would hate to see what would happen if I was actually a driver....now there is a scary thought!! LOLOL
But no I dont think it is a boring track but I do think it is a dangerous track!
And as Dale Earnhardt got killed at Daytona it was totally different. His death was the result of an accident where Adam wasn't and I can't remember Kenny cause I didnt see his accident. I do know that that turn is dangerous and it scares me to death. But that is my opioion someone else could see it different.
I will agree with you T...NH is a very pretty state. And the area the track is in is gorgeous.
Old 11 Sep 2002, 20:49 (Ref:378270)   #15
Irene
Rookie

Irene should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
oh...btw...

If you would go to North Wilkesboro now you would not see that track but instead grass growing in the place of where the track used to be...they have let it go. ONly thing used there anymore is the Drag strip...but the race track goes uncared for!
It looks horrible!
Old 12 Sep 2002, 00:37 (Ref:378412)   #16
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
North Wilkesboro is also close to one of the "legends in music" who just happens to be blind. I seen him perform in Hickory, on his birthday, at the Woodlands Barbeque before it closed.
Old 17 Sep 2002, 12:52 (Ref:382450)   #17
Moncada69
Racer

Irene, I feel like all those guys died in accidents, Dale, Adam, kenny, For some reason two drivers died in the same place from the same mistake, I am not saying that the track is safe! it maybe, it may not be, the truth is any of these guys could die at anytime on any track, Dale Sr. death was a fluke deal, I mean this guy had been thru some of the worse accidents i have ever seen and he would just get out and walk away, its realy somthing that no one can have and exact answer for, we just have to hope that these guys stay as safe as they can were ever they go. As far as NH being boaring, well I think I'll have to agree now after watching that race on Sunday, it was quite boaring!!!!
Old 19 Sep 2002, 03:32 (Ref:383855)   #18
Jameson37
Rookie

Jameson37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Woodlands BBQ is in Blowing Rock, not Hickory. But a legend nonetheless. You have not seen racing until you've seen the modifieds at NHIS. Still, not worth the loss of North Wilkesboro.
Old 19 Sep 2002, 11:52 (Ref:384076)   #19
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
#37....Woodlands used to have 2 restaurants. One in Hickory and one in Blowing Rock. Obviously, the one in Hickory went kaput. I seen Doc Watson perform there twice.
Old 19 Sep 2002, 14:00 (Ref:384158)   #20
Moncada69
Racer

anyways !!!
Old 20 Sep 2002, 02:55 (Ref:384554)   #21
Lars
Veteran

United States
Junior Nation
Welcome J37!