Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 4 Jul 2005, 14:04 (Ref:1346888)   #1
barryboy
Rookie

barryboy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
HANS Device - ebay

I've just seen a couple of HANS devices advertised on ebay and was seriously considering making an offer as I've heard some good things.

Have any of you guys got one/ have any comments ?
Old 4 Jul 2005, 14:15 (Ref:1346895)   #2
ianpearson
Racer

ianpearson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
there have been many threads about them so have a look through them, i do not own one but i do know that there are 3 types/different angles, saloon, GT & single seater so you need to make sure you are buying the right one for you.
Old 4 Jul 2005, 15:00 (Ref:1346932)   #3
barryboy
Rookie

barryboy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From what I can see from previous threads the only real problem seems to be the high initial purchase cost !

I'm driving saloons so it looks like it times to get bidding....

Thanks Ian
Old 4 Jul 2005, 19:57 (Ref:1347149)   #4
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
I have a HANS device and there are more than just three sorts. Each angle comes in different neck widths as well. Its important that its a snug fit around your neck so that the belts sit properly, but not too tight for comfort reasons. That very much depends on the shape of your neck and neck muscles, so I'd advise you to try before you buy if at all possible. :-)
Old 4 Jul 2005, 19:59 (Ref:1347152)   #5
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another Comment

I would ensure that it is returnable for full refund as most of them are custom fit to a particular combination of driver and helmet.

Last edited by Chris Y; 4 Jul 2005 at 21:57. Reason: removal of excess smileys
Old 5 Jul 2005, 07:57 (Ref:1347473)   #6
greenamex2
Veteran

England
Hertfordshire
greenamex2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Before getting to embroiled in Hans devices, check out the following link on what is necessary to use them -

http://www.fiainstitute.com/documents/HANS_Guide.pdf

If you don't comply with the above, and get the 'wrong' scrutineer, you won't be able to use it.
Old 6 Jul 2005, 14:59 (Ref:1348827)   #7
maddogf3
Racer

England
maddogf3 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryboy
I've just seen a couple of HANS devices advertised on ebay and was seriously considering making an offer as I've heard some good things.

Hi barry suggest you try hansdevise.com type 20 or 30 is what hans themselves say .My driver has one and I fitted it to his helmet we have had no problems with it or the fitting.
You do get a limited view looking around ,but you can adjust straps. If you have seen a film of how far the neck goes in a high G shunt even loose straps would be a good thing I will look on E-Bay myself see what they are advertising
Old 6 Jul 2005, 15:17 (Ref:1348845)   #8
maddogf3
Racer

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryboy

Just had a look on E- Bay all you will need is the helmet fittings they came with ours , direct from Hans.
Dont pay £40for fitting , just be careful measuring and drilling. I think we still have measurements in the box for position of studs ,will look and send them via E- mail if you wished . I think they will go for a lot more than £200 they are worth it .they are saloon car ones, ours is a type 30 . They do seam a lot of money for a bit of moulded carbon though
Old 7 Jul 2005, 20:16 (Ref:1349872)   #9
greenamex2
Veteran

England
Hertfordshire
Some scrutineers will NOT accept modified crash helmets and, worse still, will impound the helmet as no longer valid.

You have been warned (especially if you go to Oulton Park).
Old 8 Jul 2005, 08:09 (Ref:1350160)   #10
maddogf3
Racer

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Bassom
Some scrutineers will NOT accept modified crash helmets and, worse still, will impound the helmet as no longer valid.
You have been warned (especially if you go to Oulton Park).
Denis
WE have always gone through ok at Oulton Park . Have we been lucky ?
as I haven't seen, as yet any documents to say anything to the contarary. They have just picked helmet up and looked at labels
we have been using the device for 18 months now with know problems . Are we about to get problems then ?????
Martin
Old 8 Jul 2005, 14:06 (Ref:1350327)   #11
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
My HANS posts where fitted by Demon Tweeks, who supplied a nice little certificate to say they'd been fitted by a trained person. I've been to scrutineering a few times this year (including Oulton) and no one has commented on the posts or asked to see my certificate.
Old 8 Jul 2005, 16:22 (Ref:1350386)   #12
greenamex2
Veteran

England
Hertfordshire
I got a very thorough scrutineer who seemed to have memorised the HANS FIA document. It would be a shame to miss a race and lose a crash helmet for a compliance failure.

I suspect as HANS devices become more common place in club racing then other scrutineers may get a bit hotter on the subject.

Or maybe they'll just leave us alone on the basis than even an 'imperfect' installation is better than none!
Old 8 Jul 2005, 17:27 (Ref:1350421)   #13
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
When I bought my HANS device the FIA approval document only listed about four or five helmets that it could be legally fitted to and they were all mega expensive ones. Yet my basic clubbie Arai helment was already manufacturer approved and pre-drilled to take the HANS posts. I don't think there's a lot of consistency out there.
Old 8 Jul 2005, 18:10 (Ref:1350445)   #14
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Bassom
I got a very thorough scrutineer who seemed to have memorised the HANS FIA document. It would be a shame to miss a race and lose a crash helmet for a compliance failure.

I suspect as HANS devices become more common place in club racing then other scrutineers may get a bit hotter on the subject.

Or maybe they'll just leave us alone on the basis than even an 'imperfect' installation is better than none!
Most club races in the UK don't run under FIA regulations so scroots eating FIA rule books for breakfast shouldn't come into the equation.
Old 8 Jul 2005, 18:53 (Ref:1350474)   #15
Wilbo
Racer

Wilbo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think you will find most retailers/fitting centres will NOT drill helmets anymore.

The correct way or (legal way?) is to purchase the correct device fiited to YOU for your car/style of racing and have the correct helmet to go with it.

I purchased my set from Stand 21, very helpful.
Old 8 Jul 2005, 18:58 (Ref:1350480)   #16
Wilbo
Racer

Wilbo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another quick question and not to detract from the subject too much.

If you owned a HANS helmet & device would you wear this for everything you do.
i.e. still use it for track days, instruction work, test/set up days etc etc.

I have two perfectly good (and one expensive helmet(s) now slightly dormant.
I also have a neck brace which is the easier option to slip on when it comes to ARDS instruction/driver training work.

I just use mine for serious test and race days.

Thoughts please.....
Old 8 Jul 2005, 19:17 (Ref:1350509)   #17
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
FWIW I wouldn't bother with my full HANS device and even my most expensive helmet for track days and instruction. I know there is still the possibility of a serious accident, but I consider the chances are much lower in a "non-race" situation. If you start to argue that you should wear all the gear for a few test laps, then it starts to be difficult to justify not wearing them for a trip round the M25 in your road car! Would be surprised if the accident statistics didn't show the latter was more dangerous.
Old 9 Jul 2005, 09:47 (Ref:1350928)   #18
StephenRae
Veteran

Wales
North West
StephenRae should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the HANS device is a real life saver..on their web site a while ago they gave very detailed instructions on how and where to drill the helmet holes. I would guess that all this 'not approved' twaddle is to protect their legal and commercial interests, after all if the holes are a little bit out what's the difference. If 'in the biggy' they rip out of the helmet (which they won't if there is a washer to stop them) the device will still restrain the head to some degree or work perfectly, either way you are better off with than without.

On a note of caution, nowhere in the instuctions does it stress the importance of not drilling the helmet while the driver is wearing it...
Old 9 Jul 2005, 13:17 (Ref:1351113)   #19
maddogf3
Racer

England

On a note of caution, nowhere in the instuctions does it stress the importance of not drilling the helmet while the driver is wearing it... [/QUOTE]
Hear,Hear .!!!!!!
Is that why driver has two holes in the side of his head ???? and I thought he'd been operated on .
Old 10 Jul 2005, 21:50 (Ref:1352083)   #20
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I have just bought an FIA compliant helmet (OMP) from Rally Design and it has the Hans fitting holes already there currently with blanking plugs and it was 'only' £175 but still a lot cheaper than some.
Old 11 Jul 2005, 08:02 (Ref:1352288)   #21
greenamex2
Veteran

England
Hertfordshire
I also wouldn't bother on a track day. If you are driving that close to the limit you should be racing/testing anyway. Have you ever seen how few safety people the circuit employs!!!!
Old 11 Jul 2005, 19:22 (Ref:1352895)   #22
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Dennis if that was addressed to me I intend to as I now have my MSA licence back, look out for the black beast for the last 4 rounds of the ModProds. I will be hopefully testing the Historic Camaro at Mallory next week.
Old 11 Jul 2005, 22:00 (Ref:1353048)   #23
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Since there's this new lack of interest in safety, I feel that at track days I shall refrain from wearing a helmet, belts, and while refuelling with my two gallon can of National Benzol, I shall partake of a Craven A.

I shall wear my best nylon frilly shirts also.

Come on people. Get real. This sounds like two steps forward, one left, one right, and one back!

How many people still don't wear a seatbelt on the road?

Al - great news. Are you still coming out in TRC?
Old 11 Jul 2005, 22:27 (Ref:1353068)   #24
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
I'll try for sure, only thing is I will be a little undertyred against the slick shod cars.
Old 12 Jul 2005, 07:10 (Ref:1353225)   #25
greenamex2
Veteran

England
Hertfordshire
Al - Give us a wave as you come past!

racing59 - The scientific concepts of risk compensation and natural selection clearly allude you.

Most of the track days I have been too have featured race cars going full blat treating it like a test/race day whilst people in nice clean pretty Porsche's etc driving within their limits and enjoying their cars. The race cars always seem to be the ones involved in the stupid accidents. Risk compensation states that a human being will accept a certain amount of risk and in the event of the risk being reduced by outside influences will compensate by increasing the level of risk through their own actions. In other words stick a cage etc in a car that someone hasn't got to drive home at the end of the day and they will start driving like a pratt and being a danger to themselves and other.

Natural selection states that in the event on someone having a total lack of self preservation they will ultimately no longer be a problem, hopefully not taking anyone else out with them.

The reason I have been taking a good look at safety related devices recently is because the result of me now killing myself has far greater consequences than it used to. So, by reducing the risk of death in an accident I can still drive (my version of) fast with the a reduced risk level.

Tags
hans